Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

whats the budget FI SHORT BLOCK set up....for 800 RWHP.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up for me Bob.

I also found a couple blurbs from a good article that may help grasp why this may happen, even when using studs.

How important are the various fasteners in an engine? Consider this: the head bolts have to withstand tremendous loads to keep the cylinder head sealed tightly against the head gasket and block. In an engine with four inch cylinder bores and peak combustion pressures of around 1,100 pounds per square inch, each cylinder exerts about 13,827 lbs. of pressure against the cylinder head at full throttle. In fact, head bolts may have to handle loads of more than five tons per bolt at wide-open throttle!

The clamp load that is typically required to keep the head gasket sealed under these operating conditions is about three times the peak pressure exerted against the head (this is called the "lift-off" force). As a result, the bolts around the combustion chamber have to exert a combined force of about 41,500 lbs. to hold the head in place. If each cylinder has four head bolts around it, each bolt has to exert a clamping load of 10,375 lbs. If there are five head bolts per cylinder, the load needs to be 8,300 lbs. per bolt. If there are six bolts per hole, then the load required drops to 6,916 lbs. per bolt.

In a performance engine or diesel, the loads are even higher. With peak combustion pressures of up to 1,400 psi or higher in a performance engine, or 2,400 psi in a diesel, the load on the head bolts is far greater. Consequently, the clamping force on the head bolts is even more critical than those in a stock engine.

Head bolts are truly one of the most critical fasteners in any engine. Consequently, it's extremely important that all the head bolts be in perfect condition and are installed and lubricated properly so they are not overloaded.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarg
And another question would be, is skinnies car pushing water at 800 hp and 8.6x second 1/4 mile? If not, what is he doing to prevent this?
No water pushed at all, we have a few other builds not pushing water either on stock heads with more power than I am making. The key is a GOOD TUNE, I can't say that enough times. No reason at all at 800rwhp you need an aftermarket head if the build/tune is right.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't think so. I actually discovered that the block I was going to use had some pitting when we tore it down, so I ordered a L33 block More money than I wanted to spend right now, but it is the block I wanted, and I believe the one you use as well isn't it?

Quick Reply: whats the budget FI SHORT BLOCK set up....for 800 RWHP.........