Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STS Turbo Questions

Ok so I've done research and a lot of guys say that its not worth it and a lot that it is since its kinda like a bolt on,

Ok lets say I was getting the kit cheap, is it worth it? what things do I need to make it better? how come people say its not that good and others that it is?

Please no bashing just comment and give your honest opinion thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone want to pitch in?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:popcorn:
Old 01-05-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No personal experience of my own with STS or any other kit.
I read on 'tech that the kit isn't complete or some modification is required to use it on a fbody. Some have said quality of turbo or plumbing wasn't up to par for a good FI system.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

depends on what your goals are... if you get it cheap you might get cheap... it could have bearings or bearing seal issues, or intake blade damage... can't just bolt it up and expect the world to change... some minor mods like cam/fuel system/ can make some nice power or build the motor with a much needed tune tune tune to match the turbo to get all that you can out of what ever system you get...
Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i was planing on bigger fuel injectors and the turbo does have bad seals, but the system is cheap so i wanted to know if worth it? Can u put any turbo or has to be a special turbo?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:25 AM
Launching!

After over 20k miles on mine, I've enjoyed it. I went with the sts because at the time there were only two turbo kits for a gto, a 9k aps system or the sts for 4.5k.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

look at my build and results and look at Zombie and LongRange4u build.

PM if you have questions. Mine currently overboosted (my fault) and I'm not on a 6.0 liter.

a friend JoshuaGroom is doing something similar also.

I absolutely love my setup and Zombies car was wicked along with LongRange4us' build being wicked.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I see do you have the name of the threads? Also will an lt1 sts kit fit an ls1? Coul you out any turbo on the sts kit? Cause i have a t70 garrett turbo from a disel truck?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

His thread is like "sts install pics and stuff". Good thread. No, Lt1 kit is different. I love my sts kit, turns a lot of heads and runs great. Full boost around 3500 rpm. Just don't use their pcv setup. Vent it or run a catch can.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how much different is the lt1 kit? cause thats the kit they're selling me reallly cheap so wanted to know how much different it was
Old 01-06-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run a ls1 kit on my lt1. Silicon intakes sells the elbow need for the lt1.

As for upgrading for fixing the issues with the sts kit. Well I suggest
Wrap entire exhaust system
Get a good oil pump don't use the sts pump
Remove inline resistor from harness
Turbo blanket
Intercooler

Why do so many bash this kit, I think because so many are so use to the normal regular thing and when change comes they don't like it. Sts kit is not perfect nor is it cheap. But you keep ac power steering ect and that's the reason I picked it. I did not want to stand my radiator up or ditch all the things that make the car a joy to drive like ac. You will have people say sts lag, don't make power but those who stick with it come out pretty good. Lag depends on turbo size and housings used, matched right and lag will not be an issue traction will tho.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
I run a ls1 kit on my lt1. Silicon intakes sells the elbow need for the lt1.

As for upgrading for fixing the issues with the sts kit. Well I suggest
Wrap entire exhaust system
Get a good oil pump don't use the sts pump
Turbo blanket
Intercooler

Why do so many bash this kit, I think because so many are so use to the normal regular thing and when change comes they don't like it. Sts kit is not perfect nor is it cheap. But you keep ac power steering ect and that's the reason I picked it. I did not want to stand my radiator up or ditch all the things that make the car a joy to drive like ac. You will have people say sts lag, don't make power but those who stick with it come out pretty good. Lag depends on turbo size and housings used, matched right and lag will not be an issue traction will tho.
Ok question do you know the differece between the lt1 and ls1 kit? because i have an ls1 and they're selling an lt1 kit? someone told me just the charge pipe? well ok on these two what are they exactly?

Turbo blanket

Can you use any turbo on it or has to be a specific turbo?? I have a 90mm Garrett turbo off turbo diesel truck?
Also do you have a stock block? could I do this on a stock block without any mods? thanks
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am not sure if the turbo will work.....but if it did a 90mm! whoa...when and if that thing ever spools it would be insane. you should prob be thinking of more along the lines of a 70mm ball bearing with a good housing. dude hit the nail on the head when he said use a different oil pump tho. if you are concerned about prices with forced induction you are getting into the wrong area. id like to refer you to the sticky up top in the forced induction area....that says....The real cost of forced induction. if your hell bent on the sts kit.....the new one has been revised so that id doesnt hang so low, and is a far superior kit to what they used to have out. id say save up and buy it new. you wont regret that. or just grab a fuel pump, injectors, and a 150 wet shot and call it a day.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

there is a direct link in my signature to my build/thread about my car.

this diesel truck turbo...name all the specs not just 90mm, there are more details to it than that. For instance my cold side is 76mm, my hot side is 68mm.

that turbo is likely WAY too big for your car. a 70mm ball bearing as mentioned above would be damn near perfect and would make ~650
Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok another question i know fi is not cheap but not trying to spend a fortune, my question is thst the kit they sell me its from an lt1 and has a garrett turbo with bad seals, is it hard to fix?? Sorry for all the questions
Old 01-07-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by needtransam
Ok another question i know fi is not cheap but not trying to spend a fortune, my question is thst the kit they sell me its from an lt1 and has a garrett turbo with bad seals, is it hard to fix?? Sorry for all the questions
bad seals = rebuild.
rebuilding turbo, although it doesnt take long, requires the ability to balance the parts to a T. This requires the right tools and knowledge so it usually is sent to manufacture when having something like this done. Cost all depends on what is wrong, garrett will tell you the same thing, so you would just have to roll the dice and find out to really know for sure. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The resistor is in the wire harness and should be gold, cut it off and splice wires back together.

Turbo blanket is a heat insulator used to keep the hot side of turbo hot and helps spool time.

90mm way to big for stock cube motor. A t67- 70 will be perfect for what you want.

Don't forget upgrading fuel system. 60lbs injectors walbro 255 or maybe even duel walbros so you can grow.

My kit was an ls1 kit I had to order a new silicon intake elbow since the lt1 is bigger then the ls1 throttle body. I also had extra piping to male it work since my kit also had an intercooler.

I might have the ls1 front pipe section I need to check and see
Old 02-08-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

had a thoguht and was wondering,
should i get a shield or a blanket? was just wondering if it makes a difference. the shield bolts on but the blanket actually covers it. does this change anything?
heres an example of a shield
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T3-T4-T3T...8f0892&vxp=mtr

and then we all know what the blanket looks like lol
Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
had a thoguht and was wondering,
should i get a shield or a blanket? was just wondering if it makes a difference. the shield bolts on but the blanket actually covers it. does this change anything?
heres an example of a shield
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T3-T4-T3T...8f0892&vxp=mtr

and then we all know what the blanket looks like lol
A blanket keeps heat in the turbo housing which helps it spool faster.

That shield might keep heat in but really its designed to keep other components around the turbo protected from the heat off the turbine side. If your goal is to retain heat and it should be then the answer is no.

Quick Reply: STS Turbo Questions