Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone test boost before and after IC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone test boost before and after IC?

Just wanted to see if any one has measured how efficient their intercooler is. Any tests of intake boost vs pre intercooler pressure. What brand and size intercooler? How much is to much of a difference?

Alex
Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We run a 250$ cx racing air to water. Ysi blower, 18.5psi at the intake, 860hp, 22psi at the outlet of the blower. More than happy with this intercooler for the price, once we change a few things on the car, it should make 1xxxwhp and this 250$ intercooler is still kicking out 60* iats at WOT
Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty simple test with a turbo is to reference your wastegate from the compressor housing and record your boost levels. Than reference your wastegate from your intake manifold and record your boost level. This is a quick and simple way to test the pressure drop. Not exactly sure what intercooler I have but it's a 4" thick one I ordered through Josh and I only see a 1 psi difference.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

It would take a pretty bad IC to be very restrictive. I tested my old setup and pressure drop was less than 2psi.

However, it didnt cool for ****.

New larger core and again pressure drop was similar, except the difference it made to temps was huge.

Overall efficiency is more important than any 1 aspect. And the most important aspect is cooling ability. If it has a good ability to cool the air, then more than likely it will have adequate flow.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my old mustang it was only a 1-2psi drop, intercooled/non-intercooled with my blower..... and that was with a cheap ebay intercooler. Tested it on the track with and without the cooler back to back days with almost identical DA's.... First run without intercooler was the same as what I ran with the intercooler but as it heated up it just dropped off where as intercooled it was consistent all day long.

Quick Reply: Anyone test boost before and after IC?