Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ARP bolts vs Studs ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default ARP bolts vs Studs ???

What are the limits of the ARP bolt in a force induction motor with 14 PSI in D1 procharger? Is better to use ARP studs with that boost? Why??
Old 01-24-2012, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd use arp for any build
Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fastsspr
What are the limits of the ARP bolt in a force induction motor with 14 PSI in D1 procharger? Is better to use ARP studs with that boost? Why??
studs are always the safer bet espically on an engine that will be seeing higher cylinder pressure that are more likely to try and lift the head off the block........studs provide a stronger clamping force than bolts do.......when tightening a bolt there is not only a stretching force being encoutnered but also a rotational force......with a stud there is only a stretching force encountered which alows the bolt to be torqued/stretched more properly.......with your application i would run studs.....
Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^what he said.

With FI always go head studs over head bolts
Old 01-24-2012, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Studs are the only way to go, They pull the head down, which keeps it from lifting instead of bolting the heads down where you are trying to contain the cylinder pressure.

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the bolts a one time deal and then you need new ones where the studs you can always re-use?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Studs are the only way to go, they are also very nice if you ever plan on doing a head swap.

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the bolts a one time deal and then you need new ones where the studs you can always re-use?
GM bolts yes they are TTY bolts ARP's no they are re-usable.....but as with any bolt they do have a lifespan....eventually they will not return their stretch.....its at this point they will need to be replaced.....
Old 01-24-2012, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Studs are the only way to go, They help keep the head from lifting instead of bolting the heads down.

With stock torque to yield bolts, yes one time use. ARP bolts can be reused, I prefer studs though.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Guys, I wasnt to fimliar with the bolts, I have never ran them; I have always used the studs on all my motors
Old 01-24-2012, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's a budget build, IMO, ARP head bolts are more than sufficient (with LS9 head gaskets).
Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Studs are the only way to go, They pull the head down, which keeps it from lifting instead of bolting the heads down where you are trying to contain the cylinder pressure.

I think you are mistaken, both are applying pressure to the head down on the block. Studs tend to be better because they are fine thread on the nut and coarse where they go in the block. When you are tightening them down, the fine thread creates more clamping pressure for the same torque value because bolts will only have the coarse thread to tighten into. It also prevents stripping because you are not rotating the threads in the aluminum when you torque them down, so there is less wear on the threads in the block.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
FormerVendor

Studs are Ideal, But a set of ARP bolts are worlds better then the factory GM stuff.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by killernoodle
I think you are mistaken, both are applying pressure to the head down on the block. Studs tend to be better because they are fine thread on the nut and coarse where they go in the block. When you are tightening them down, the fine thread creates more clamping pressure for the same torque value because bolts will only have the coarse thread to tighten into. It also prevents stripping because you are not rotating the threads in the aluminum when you torque them down, so there is less wear on the threads in the block.
I agree the threads are the differance maker, but you are pulling down instead of bolting down
Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran the arp bolts on a combo with 706 heads and cometic gaskets up to 23 psi with no troubles. On C16 fuel and meth inj
Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 AM
9 Second Club

I agree the threads are the differance maker, but you are pulling down instead of bolting down
how do you figure? lol they are both puting a downward force on the head to the block and causing stretch in the fastener.......as stated previously there are three main advantages......
1. Only a streting force applied to the stud upon torquing which eliminates rotational stress on the bolt when being tightened
2. You are tigtening a fine thread stud/nut which has a much higher clamping force threshold
3. in a race application its much easier to assemble the engine quickly with studs

and one of the biggest things with installing studs is to make sure you have a coating of moly lube/ assembly lube on both sides of the washer and the bottom of the nut.....you need a low friction contact between the faces of the head/washer/nut to get a proper reading.....dry installing will skew this number drastically....
Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to Hijack the thread, but im doing a build on my ls1. im installing an mp112 magnacharger and going to make 8-10 psi. Im installing a set of ls9 gaskets, and i would like to go arp for bolts or studs. i know you guys say studs are better, but would bolts be fine for my build?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by firechicken76
Sorry to Hijack the thread, but im doing a build on my ls1. im installing an mp112 magnacharger and going to make 8-10 psi. Im installing a set of ls9 gaskets, and i would like to go arp for bolts or studs. i know you guys say studs are better, but would bolts be fine for my build?
I would say yes. Guys run turbo kits and SC kits on stock motors with the heads never off (i.e. shitty graphite HG's and stock bolts) on similar boost. The ARP bolts will be fine for this application.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the re assurance that studs provide are well worth the extra money. i mean when that head lifts off and you you ruin them along with god knows what else....which is not as likely even with bolts but still a possibility given the design on the bolt patterns.

Quick Reply: ARP bolts vs Studs ???