Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Big cubes to stock cubes FI opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big cubes to stock cubes FI opinion

I want to see if anyone else has done this. Right now I'm deployed to Afghanistan and while I've been here I bought a used 427NA motor. I currently have a forged 347 with either bad rings or pistons in the car currently. It's H/C/I with a rebuilt transmission and 9in rear end 3.89 gears. I was going to put the 427 in and be NA because the cylinder walls are too thin from the sonic test in the build sheets. Well of course I'm stuck over here without being able to work on the car and I bought the motor in July and I still got a few months to go on my deployment. With all that time to think, I've thought about selling the 427 short block, keeping the 235cc TFS heads off it , and also selling various other parts off it. Then I would rebuild the 347 and either TC or SC it. The reason I thought of this is simply the fact that I will be pretty much stuck at the Hp level of the 427 if I stay with it. I would have to completely switch short blocks out to make more Hp or I would risk blowing up the 427. With a 347 FI, I would have room to expand.

The only thing holding me back is of course money. I don't want to spend anymore money over what I would make selling the parts I have. The question I pose is, has anyone done this before and been happy or think they should have stuck with the big cubes and enjoyed it? I've read several threads on here, and seen a couple guys who had big motors say that should have just forged there 346 and FI'd it.

Also I'm leaning towards a procharger for the cost since I've been seeing pretty good deals on here on used ones for around 4k. Going a single TC route does interest me greatly but I want to keep my AC and anything I've seen on that, looks like it's going to put me in the 6-8k range which is no gouda. I don't have any welding skills at all to do a DIY turbo kit.

Rusty
Old 01-27-2012, 07:01 AM
12 Second Club

No one has gone this route?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Launching!

i would actually like to know this myself.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd go with the procharger and a good belt system that gives you maximum wrap and wont leave you with a slipping belt.

With those heads and a D1SC I don't see how you couldn't make an easy 700rwhp with 15-17#'s of boost and a nice conservative tune. The brute speed cam would work very well with that combo especially being an off the shelf cam.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell the big motor and forge the smaller motor and boost it. You will never get a driveable 700 whp and 700ftlbs out of a 427 ci NA.