Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

electronic boost controller not working right need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electronic boost controller not working right need help!!

ok so i installed an HKS EBC and i have the low boost setting at 5 psi but i pull 9 psi, and my high boost set at 12 and it reads 9 psi still, i run a tial 44mm wastegate, i have it hooked up the way hks said:

hose from manifold to solenoid then hose from solenoid to lower nipple on waste gate.

what about the top nipple? doesnt that need to be hooked up to something? and the solenoid has 3 holes but only two are labeled with in and out the other says vent? i have never ran an electronic one before but i want to ask before i ***** it up.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the 3 different setups they have its hard to say. The only tial WG ive owned i never installed. lol . But on my other setups the with a single line to the wastegate it should go to the top. Bottom can vent. It should be able to regulate or bleed off boost with one line. Unless you tial gate has some kind of crazy plumbing. There is no way your boost controller can regulate boost using vacuum and hooked into the bottom of the gate. Its just not possible. Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xrambbc
ok so i installed an HKS EBC and i have the low boost setting at 5 psi but i pull 9 psi, and my high boost set at 12 and it reads 9 psi still, i run a tial 44mm wastegate, i have it hooked up the way hks said:

hose from manifold to solenoid then hose from solenoid to lower nipple on waste gate.

what about the top nipple? doesnt that need to be hooked up to something? and the solenoid has 3 holes but only two are labeled with in and out the other says vent? i have never ran an electronic one before but i want to ask before i ***** it up.
The idea is to use the second chamber of the wastegate to control boost. Think of a wastegate solenoid as a relay with a NC (normally closed, air can flow through when the solenoid has no power) a NO (normally open, air flow is blocked off until the solenoid is powered) and a COM (common). Bottom chamber should be hooked up to boost source. That is easy. Top chamber should be pressurized until the desired boost level. That helps keep the wastegate closed with a weaker spring (why a wastegate with a 5lb spring can hold way more than 5lb of boost on a controller).

So the top chamber should be hooked to the COM so it can either be pressurized or vent to the atmosphere. NC hooks up to boost source (teed off with bottom chamber). NO is vented to atmosphere.

On a typical MAC solenoid, Port 2 is COM, port 3 is NC, port 1 is NO.
Attached Thumbnails electronic boost controller not working right need help!!-boostcontroller.jpg  

Last edited by killernoodle; 02-07-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: electronic boost controller not working right need help!!