Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

intercooler question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default intercooler question

simple short question...

how do YOU clean the bugs and junk out of your intercoolers? the collection of carcases on mine is rising and was hopin someone may have an easy way to do this without mangling the fins with a high pressure hose or brush...maybe spray them and let em soak and hose out from the reverse side with low pressure?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JaYZeig
simple short question...

how do YOU clean the bugs and junk out of your intercoolers? the collection of carcases on mine is rising and was hopin someone may have an easy way to do this without mangling the fins with a high pressure hose or brush...maybe spray them and let em soak and hose out from the reverse side with low pressure?
Lol I hadn't even thought about this yet lol. Hopfully someone has come up with a good solution
Old 02-11-2012, 01:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tweezers
Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Condenser coil cleaner. It's heavy foaming cleaner that is used for cleaning home hvac systems. It will clean like new again. It isn't something u want to get on painted surfaces tho. Just spray on and let sit then wash out from reverse.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could buy one of those new custom fab mesh screen coverups that would still allow for airflow, but also keep the insects out. i am going to leave mine bare though, and i will prob brush them off easily after some good bug remover spray and other items. itll be pretty bad when your IAT's drop because you have 3lbs of crickets and bees in your intercooler. be like an intercooled holocaust
Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stryker
Condenser coil cleaner. It's heavy foaming cleaner that is used for cleaning home hvac systems. It will clean like new again. It isn't something u want to get on painted surfaces tho. Just spray on and let sit then wash out from reverse.
Exactly! Use the purple or blue cleaner. I personally love the alky-clean brand but any foaming ALKALINE condenser coil cleaner will do. Please be careful with this stuff and do not spray it on surfaces you do not want to harm including your skin! Oh, and make sure its the acid free type...just alkaline. It foams so much and pushes dirt and bugs out plus shines your alumn right up. Good luck
Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hit mine with simple green, let soak, hit it again and use one of those bathtub brushes with a handle to lightly brush off the debris.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Any cleaner ive used has worked good. Power Purple, 409, or engine degreaser... just let it sit a few minutes and take a soft brush to it then hose it off.

Quick Reply: intercooler question