Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

"Cenotaph" aka "Tow Mater" sleeper rat rod build

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a windshield sun protector and paint it white with eyes on it...to look like Mater when you park it.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ LOL never thought of that but that's funny as hell. may have to do that

picked up an important piece of the puzzle today. since I am planning on running some RS275 class action, I have to stay below a 76mm wheel. but there are no restrictions on housing sizes. sooo...

btw the "little" turbo on the left is a holset HX55 68mm. and to give an overall idea of just how big this thing is:

some are saying my 5.3 won't spool it, and if it does it won't be until 2nd or 3rd gear. same people said that about my buddies geo with a Hy35 and his is doing just fine. so we'll see. worst case, I will go with the original plan and pick up and on3 76mm later on
Old 09-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the concept, subbing to see the execution.

If it's this generation truck, you need those skinny dual tailpipes exiting under the back bumper, and you can spray some oil into the exhaust on one side from somewhere so it can idle with a little blue smoke out of one pipe. That's authenticity there. You can't have a '68 truck that looks like that if it's not burning oil from one pipe (or both I suppose).
Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

ok guys sorry for the lack of updates for awhile, but it is worth it this time I promise! I started a new job a couple months ago that pays pretty decent, so I was able to make some good progress. I got the truck all together n/a for now. but the biggest thing is, IT RUNS AND DRIVES! I took it on it's maiden voyage out of the shop yesterday. man what a good feeling. here is a walk around vid I did of it in it's current state. still some bugs to work out, but for the most part it is there. from here I can work on getting the necessary things needed to get it boosted, which isn't much more now. but even on motor, this thing is a BLAST to drive. I will have to get the video my friend took of me actually taking it down the road. but for now, here you guys go
http://s16.beta.photobucket.com/user...00001.mp4.html
Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Awesome. I love those 67-72 trucks. Hopefully i will have one oneday. Would like to do the same thing as you with a forced LS based engine. Good luck and keep us updated. Its gotta feel good.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

out of town for work, can't wait to get home and mess with it some more. gong to turkey rod run in daytona next weekend. maybe find some goodies for it. but for now I am sitting in a hotel room, scouring craigslist and ebay for useful things. after TRR, if I haven't already found any of the following items, I will be ordering 60 lb injectors, a bigger fuel pump (considering the stealth 340, if it will be enough flow for my numbers I want), and an air to water intercooler. I have figured out how to do the intercooler setup in plain sight, but noone will notice it. truck with a tool box full of iced down drinks is actually chilling his water reservoir for his intercooler muahaha

BTW does anyone know if turbo oil return fittings are universal in size? I don't see any specific sizes listed anywhere so I would like to think so.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

i have a stealth 340 nib pm i'll deal!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Launching!

cant wait to see that thing with the turbo in it. youll have to take me for a ride when its done lol.
if your back in town we're going back out to publix to mess with the mustang guys again.
it would be great to see that stock n/a 5.3 put a smack down on a few of em ;]
Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 AM
TECH Regular

cole I have tried a couple timid launches with it so far not knowing what to expect, and so far it has handled what I have thrown at it on unprepped street. should be a monster from a dig, even on motor. the turbo will just pull it hard on the big end

and 05raptorle I'll PM you
Old 11-18-2012, 01:54 AM
10 Second Club

you will be able to spool the turbo with the right tune up. There are guys spooling big 88mm turbos with 4.6 mod motors and even some v6 motors.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Teching In

very cool build and look forward to seeing it completed
Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

thanks guys. my friend is offering me a nitrous setup really cheap, so I think I'm going to hit it with a couple stages of gas for now and see what it does. then I will continue to gather parts for the boost. I may build the 2nd 5.3 I have for a more serious boost motor. as I found out I woul dhave to pull my motor out again to tap the oil pan for the return fitting. there is a local king of the street event coming up in about a month, so I think I will bring the truck out and see if i can't surprise some people. Headed to Daytona for the Turkey Run today, but the truck is staying home . I'll have the t/a out for some cruising and fun though. hopefully find some cool parts for the truck while I'm there
Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Just got back from TRR and man.... got a bunch of parts for the truck and the T/A, and came back with a ton of inspiration. I was rather upset though, I didn't take the truck just because it wasn't tagged and insured, but half the cars driving around there didn't even have tags. oh well, I would have probably gotten in trouble anyways. I am ditching the 5 speed in favor of a TH400, and the turbo will be going on SOON. tired of sitting back watching a bunch of guys talk trash and not be able to get up in the mix. Got my Stealth 340 from raptorle, so that will be going in soon. basically all I lack now to get it boosted is the intercooler piping and injectors, then get it tuned up
Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Launching!

heard good things about the ebay coldside kits.
many people have done well with them.
which is what i plan on using.
wish i coulda gone this year, and glad to see you got some insperation!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Cole, my plumbing will be interesting because I am going to run an air to water intercooler. I have to get some big v-bands as well
Old 11-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Hmmmm. Air to water.... yummy lol
Were you referring to getting coreys nitrous system?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

I was going to, but I think I'm going to go big right from the beginning I sat down and figured it out and for not much more than it would take to spray it, I can boost it how I want. I have faces to rape... soon
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Launching!

I may pick it up then
When I sell my t/a and get the 205k mile one I plan on spraying it a couple times with a small shot.
Plus for as cheap as he's selling it, its not bad just to have around.

Whenever you need help you have my number
We can trade labor for labor when I start my build lol
Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

just made a quick vid of my dad taking it for a ride down the road. this is it's last trip as a 5 speed. I have pretty much everything i need to get the th400 in now, and already have a buyer for the 5 speed, so I am beginning the swap. sorry about the quality, I didn't have my camera handy so a potatoe had to do

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...r&notif_t=like
Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

well, Th400 is in. as well as a TCI 3500 stall converter, b&m ratchet shifter, and a nice big cooler. gotta do some final hookups on it tomorrow and put the driveshaft back in and it will be ready for another test drive. also redid my exhaust, getting ready for the turbo

Quick Reply: "Cenotaph" aka "Tow Mater" sleeper rat rod build