Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Universal Turbo Install Cost Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS Universal Turbo Install Cost Please Help!

Hello,
I have a '68 Camaro I am putting an LS3 in with a T56.
I just bought Longtubes, mufflers, and 3" exhaust kit for the car.

I am sure I am going forced induction, as I am looking at getting into the ten second zone.

I was looking at the STS turbo universal kits at $1995 and $2995. Even with all the upgrades,less injectors and fuel pump (pump I am buying anyway), I am looking at 3000 and 4000 respectively.
Injectors can be had for probably $300. So $3300 (single turbo) and $4300 twin turbo. The kit comes with some piping and silicone elbows\connectors.

My question is this:
The bolt on twin turbo kits are $8500
The only difference I can see between the universal and the bolt on kit is the piping to connect it up.
STS says the universal will cost near the same as the bolt on kits, once piping is finished?
It almost seems like you can buy controlling interest in a muffler shop for the $4200 difference between the universal kit and the bolt on kit.

Can anyone shed some light on actual cost of piping to finish something like this? I cant see Mom and Pop muffler shop in San Antonio Texas charging this much for fabbing up the piping?
Any real cost analysis out there?

I can sell my exhaust for about 1k and just use factory manifolds. Wont need a cold air kit either, so very intrigued here!

Please spare me on the STS kit being trash, I dont believe it. Too much real world proof says its not. I am willing to spend the money to find out
Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Cost me near 300 bucks to have my rear mount done IIRC. Its been awhile. But i think it was right close to 300. piping to the turbo and from it to the intake....
Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not do a top mount supercharger?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Why not do a top mount supercharger?
Dont know of one for 2-3k???
Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JAX04
Cost me near 300 bucks to have my rear mount done IIRC. Its been awhile. But i think it was right close to 300. piping to the turbo and from it to the intake....
Thats what IM taking about!
Cant see exhaust pipe costing 4k, unless it is gold!
I can pre bend wire and have a shop follow it
Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Launching!

A buddy of mine fabbed up his rear mount for less than $500 on the piping. He is thinking of selling his whole kit, piping, turbo, lines, oil pump, etc. for $1900. Way less than what I payed for my STS kit. His kit has a lot of tweaks, like 2 silicone couplers on the whole line of pipe, relocated the wastegate to the Y pipe, and a filter added into the return oil line.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shawn_c992001
A buddy of mine fabbed up his rear mount for less than $500 on the piping. He is thinking of selling his whole kit, piping, turbo, lines, oil pump, etc. for $1900. Way less than what I payed for my STS kit. His kit has a lot of tweaks, like 2 silicone couplers on the whole line of pipe, relocated the wastegate to the Y pipe, and a filter added into the return oil line.
Did he fab it himself?
If I could find someone reasonable here is San Antonio $1000 or so for the piping, i would be all over it!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

FYI, when I was planning on doing a rear mount I bought an STS kit for a Chevy Silverado. I called STS to see what just the cold side piping to the intercooler would cost me. They told me that for their crappy pipes they would charge over $2,000. Took it to a local exhaust shop and they said that they could fab it up for me with much better clearance than the STS kit for about $400 using good pipes.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Adam86
FYI, when I was planning on doing a rear mount I bought an STS kit for a Chevy Silverado. I called STS to see what just the cold side piping to the intercooler would cost me. They told me that for their crappy pipes they would charge over $2,000. Took it to a local exhaust shop and they said that they could fab it up for me with much better clearance than the STS kit for about $400 using good pipes.
Thank you!
$400-500 seems to be a consensus for piping from the rear of the car.

Quick Reply: STS Universal Turbo Install Cost Please Help!