Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Project "Ricky Bobby"

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up some of my pipes from Tim at HP Powder coating. The cold side is a matte black and the hot side is ceramic flat black. Thanks Tim!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Last edited by Genevieve; 05-15-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: double post fail
Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like it's going to be fast *** hell. I can't wait to see the transplant process. After setting you're Camaro with those wheels instantly made me wanna sell my truck and buy one asap. Nice work, makes me feel a broke as a joke though lol.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Teching In

The project has decided to give us some extra time so I figure it’s time for a small update.

First up would be the conversion to all T bolts. There were a few worm gear clamps on the cold side of things and most of them would be in a position that is not exactly easy to get to while on the side of the road. T bolts hold better so less chance of popping off.

Next would be the MSD two step. It’s a simple plug and play module that can be adjusted to drop the limiter to a specified RPM to help build boost and aide on a launch.

It was recommended to me to use a Tach Driver to give the fuel pump a good strong signal to reference for its variable speeds. In comes MSD ignition with the Dis-Tach Driver.

Now for some more fun things like the Meth System. Talking with my tuner, builder, and Julio we decided that an Alky Control Kit with 4 gallon trunk mount kit would be ideal for the setup. The kit comes with everything needed to install and very detailed instructions. This is where it gets interesting. During talks with my tuner (DSX Tuning) it was explained to me that the Meth kit can be run off of the MAF or speed density oppose to the MAP. This is important for turbo builds as the power curve is not linear to the RPM of the engine like a blower/supercharger would be. In other words I could be at 3500 RPM and 10 PSI and the engine would use a specific amount of air there by requiring a specific amount of methanol. Then the engine could be at 7000 RPM and 10 PSI and the engine would consume a different amount of air and require a different amount of methanol. So even though the pressure did not change the amount of air and methanol commanded did. Running off the MAF would allow the system to deliver the amount of methanol needed based on the amount of air being commanded by the engine oppose to just the pressure in the manifold. The full kit looks something like this.

After discussions with Julio and some sort of calculation setup he explained to me that twin 15 nozzles will be sufficient for our goals. However, final placement of the nozzles has not been decided.

Next on the docket is the boost controller. Everyone seems to say the AMS is the end all be all of boost controller and I am sure that its control and accuracy is second to none but I loved the adjustability on the fly and features of the Eboost2. I have seen this controller in action and for a car driven on the street it is great and will do anything I could ask or want.

I am one who loves the small detail of builds and projects, things that could have been just fine but was changed anyway to make it that much better and worry free. For my build one of the things I wanted to change was the vacuum hoses for the entire system. I have heard horror stories of lines popping off and boost rising possibly damaging the engine. In come the hydraulic lines designed for high temp and 200+psi. These Push-To-Lock fitting are stronger and more reliable than barbs with zip ties and they are re-usable as well. The PTL line is a harder line then the typical rubber/vinyl hose but still plenty malleable to make any bends I need in the engine bay.

The Connectors are super simple to use and all are on swivels for easier access and placement. No issues of tight turns crimping the hose or hitting against something.

That is all for now, thanks for reading.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome build. Sub'd.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:29 AM
Launching!

Bump for Bentley.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

After reading your concerns with the methanol injection, had you considered going with Aquamist? Instead of being controlled by map or maf readings, it is based on injector duty cycle, with the activation point, and curve fully adjustable.

Nice build, keep up the great work.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
After reading your concerns with the methanol injection, had you considered going with Aquamist? Instead of being controlled by map or maf readings, it is based on injector duty cycle, with the activation point, and curve fully adjustable.

Nice build, keep up the great work.
Nope, Most of my research pointed to alky so I kinda just went with it after talking to Julio. Can't say I have heard of aquamist before this but I will give them a look. That in no way means they haven't been around or are not of good quality, just that I have not heard of them.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Teching In

So enough playing around and I guess it’s time to update this thing. The stock exhaust manifold was supposed to be reused with the IPS Turbo kit but I choose to run the all-pro 6 bolt heads. This created a problem because the stock manifolds do not clear the extra 6’th bolt on the heads. This mean either an aftermarket set of headers or a custom one off. Running a aftermarket set could lead us to the same problem we are in now as they are mostly designed for a 4 bolt head and not been tested on the 6 bolt setup. So a custom set was in order. I worked with Justin at JMB to fab up a set quickly as I was getting short with my patience. Justin, CBI, and I had several conversations about the size of primary I should run. I of course wanted the largest primary I would manage but both CBI and Justin advised against it. Their argument was that it is not just about volume with turbos but it is also about velocity. They strongly recommended 1 ¾” primary’s with the Tial hot side. A few days later these were ceramic coated and ready to go.

Next up was to remove the cradle and shoe horn this baby in.

Next we figured it would be easier to mount the turbos now.

One of the bonus’ of the kit that I didn’t know about was the fact the turbo kit has provisions for coolant passages too. Being that the turbos are tucked away pretty good the cooler I can keep them the better. So here is the coolant hook up.

Next was working on the vacuum lines a bit. I wanted to run push to lock lines so I took the tops off the gates and BOV and put the push to lock fittings in.

Figured we should look at the springs in there too and see what kind of pressure we are going to make. Gate pressure should be between 9-10 psi.

Alright, time for a nap…..

And back to it. It fits!!

Finish up some of the vacuum lines.

And mounting the boost solenoid off the back of the new washer fluid reservoir. All push to lock as well.

Finish wiring some of the MAF and MAP sensor.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Fire It Up!!! Open Down Pipes for the Win!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
Old 10-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Default The Numbers!

With the car running, it was time to see what kind of numbers she is making. Keep in mind this is all with a stock drive shaft, transmission, half shafts, diff. We first went to a local dyno, which we have used before for other benchmarks. After we strap it down we do a quick pull on 16-17 psi with 93 pump in the tank and meth. These were the results….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si-JsU9wrGk&feature=g-user-u

Needless to say we were surprised at the results. It maxed the dyno at 1000HP at 4700 rpm and never came back down. After this pull we were done, as without an update on the dyno software there is no point in continuing. So the next weekend there was a local shop (Mustang Muscle) holding a dyno competition, I was told their dyno would read over 1000 so I thought it would be a good chance to see what she is actually making. Matt the owner was great and allowed us to use a few extra straps and steal a worker to sit in the trunk, as the first pull spun on the dyno. The second pull resulted in this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxjaIv9KfHU&feature=g-user-u

1123.8 HP and 1057.9 TQ on just 16-17 psi with 93 pump and meth. Not too bad for a street car….
Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Not sure why these didnt load..

Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

dayummmm!! Nice!!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Grats man! looks and sounds awesome..!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy ****!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few questions what's the compression, were you using dual nozzles and what was the timing and AFR on those dyno pulls?? Oh and how hard were those injectors working?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys! its good to finally have it done. Just have to learn how to drive it again. Powerband is different than what I am use too.

Originally Posted by Tirefire
Few questions what's the compression, were you using dual nozzles and what was the timing and AFR on those dyno pulls?? Oh and how hard were those injectors working?
Compression is about 10-1, twin 15's on the meth but they are a bit much for my application, timing was either 16* or 17*, AFR was in the low to mid 10's. The injectors were only at 65% ish.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome car Bentley. I wanna run our cars when chad gets mine finished with the th400.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Damn that car sounds BADASS haha congrats on the #s
Old 10-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Teching In

What an amazing build!

Quick Reply: Project "Ricky Bobby"