Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Comp Oil-less CHRA upgrade for APS kit.....who is interested?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Comp Oil-less CHRA upgrade for APS kit.....who is interested?

I have been working with Unleashed Performance for a few weeks now about introducing a comp oil-less CHRA with billet wheel replacement for all APS owners. These would be a direct swap so no modification would be required. The beauty of all this is the delete of all the oil lines, return, and pump. Also your talking about instant spool and a more efficient and lighter billet compressor wheel. These would work for GTO, corvettes, and F-Bodies.

Currently in order to do a one of pair it would run $1500 per turbo. Pretty steep I know but not too bad considering no more headaches with oil and rebuilding the standard journal bearing CHRA. However the more people we can get together the lower the price will be. Comp said we can save several hundred with as little as 5 pairs.

If there is a lot of interest, these will be available exclusively through Unleashed Performance. I am simply starting the thread because Rob doesnt have the time to follow this thread but he will chime in.

Lets get some serious interest going here because this would be an awesome deal for us APS owners who seem to have problems pop up constantly with the current APS turbos, especially when considering that there are no other options out there.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

you know there is a Precision option on the Market??

also you got alot of info up there but no turbo sizes. for 3k i hope it isnt a stock 20g size turbo.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested. I would like some more info too as far as capabilities and sizes go.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Depending on sizing options I would buy this with %100 certainty!!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The CHRA would be a direct drop in. So the size would be the same. However Comp would be using their own billet compressor wheel design which Im sure is better than the current wheel. Trying to maintain this as a direct swap.

Also I dont see the obsession of going bigger. I don't see anyone trying to squeeze every last bit out of these turbos except a select few. Just trying to improve the efficiency of the current setup and not go down the "just throw something bigger at it to make it work" street.

The 3K price was only for one set of turbos. Our target is ~1K each and a worry free, extremely fast spooling setup.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

so billet wheel you might be close to the 60lbs/min???
Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
The CHRA would be a direct drop in. So the size would be the same. However Comp would be using their own billet compressor wheel design which Im sure is better than the current wheel. Trying to maintain this as a direct swap.

Also I dont see the obsession of going bigger. I don't see anyone trying to squeeze every last bit out of these turbos except a select few. Just trying to improve the efficiency of the current setup and not go down the "just throw something bigger at it to make it work" street.

The 3K price was only for one set of turbos. Our target is ~1K each and a worry free, extremely fast spooling setup.
I would be very interested but I would want to go bigger vs keeping the standard turbo sizing. Something like the LG upgrade would get me to move. I believe theirs are built to support 1200 fwhp with a slight 2-300 rpm increase in spool time. Since the upgrade your talking about spools faster that should help. Is there a significant difference in pricing if you go one way or the other? I have had no oiling issues and have pushed mine pretty hard but it would be really nice getting rid of all the oil system hardware. Thanks for doing this.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Just something to keep in mind with the Comp Oil-less turbos, they need to be sent back to Comp every 15-20K miles for regreasing and inspecting the turbos. I think it's around $150 each to regrease them.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ I have talked to them and they said its 5 years or 50,000 miles. Whichever comes first. You can also send them in every year (since they have a year warranty) and have them fully rebuilt for $150 each and have the warranty extended another year. You can do that as much as you want.

As for the flow of the wheel not sure yet. But it will be at least as good as what it available now. These do not exist yet so I dont have an answer on that. But again the main purpose of these is reliability, simplicity, and wicked spool. Rob from Unleashed will chime in eventually.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ironmancan
I would be very interested but I would want to go bigger vs keeping the standard turbo sizing. Something like the LG upgrade would get me to move. I believe theirs are built to support 1200 fwhp with a slight 2-300 rpm increase in spool time. Since the upgrade your talking about spools faster that should help. Is there a significant difference in pricing if you go one way or the other? I have had no oiling issues and have pushed mine pretty hard but it would be really nice getting rid of all the oil system hardware. Thanks for doing this.
As far as going with a bigger set it is doable. But you would have to send in a CHRA for them to model after and it would be a different group buy. They currently have one of my CHRA's and thats what they are modeling it after. So if lets say you want them to replicate the LG turbo, you would have to send that CHRA in. Also if you don't own one of those and the CHRA was available you would have to source an intake cover. This is why Im sticking with a direct replacement. Trying to get the proper cover, and test fitting across all models is just something that is not leasable.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Teching In

That's good, when I was at Comp Turbo they told me every 15-20K miles.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

I just had Rob order one of these turbos for my old school 77 trans am build. I really like the results from these on his C5! Amazing numbers out of that thing! Hoping they can work some magic on my trans am...(formerly Robs TA :-p )

Billy
Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Doesnt seem to be enough interest. I guess everyone is happy with their Chinese turbos. Oh well.....good thing I have a plan B.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

My chinesse broke but so did my American built journal.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you think about how much it costs to rebuild and how many times you do it, that a lone would pay for these turbos that I am trying to bring to the public. I guess its easier to keep complaining about something cheap and keep trying to fix it then pay for something once and be at peace.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Me???? Oh I paid for something that will fix it. DKT PTE6766. Great brand.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just talking in general. I called about those and thats way too expensive. Plus Im not looking to go bigger. Non need. Look at the power Im making with a measly 6 psi, which is the case with most people and everyone wants bigger. WHY???
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh4gto - any more info on this? i'm interested if pricing is competitive.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Teching In

me too!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's defininetly a great idea, just a little steep on the price for me as well.

0h4GTO, make sure you keep us updated on the power you make out of these if you go this route. And maybe some pics of the CHRA's.

Quick Reply: Comp Oil-less CHRA upgrade for APS kit.....who is interested?