Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fairmont 2.0 (forged lq4, s480, 800whp, under new management)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

i cant do that, ill **** piston rings out of the exhaust lol
Old 02-26-2014, 02:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Only difference I see is possibly my little bit of water injection slowing stuff down and demanding more timing lead
Old 02-26-2014, 02:15 PM

ive always used water/meth injection on these setups, strait meth, mixed, 50/50, washer fluid...

i tried them all, then i did strait e85
then e85 and strait alcohol injection
Old 02-26-2014, 02:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sitting on -20 on the anti-lag as well...for a good 5 seconds.

My low timing may be slowing me down a bit, but I have not killed this engine yet.

Mike
Old 02-26-2014, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
I have never hurt my engine ever..

19 to 22* gave me 2mph at the track

Br7 are great hardly ever even pull them

E50, my own tuning
I've read a lot of your posts, and I gather you know somewhat what you're talking about. It's simply baffling that you're trying to compare tuning in two different motors with two completely different cams. I know you're smart enough to realize that different cams will demand completely different tuning.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OldGold
I am sitting on -20 on the anti-lag as well...for a good 5 seconds.

My low timing may be slowing me down a bit, but I have not killed this engine yet.

Mike
You're on the right track man, I'm really glad you took a ton of timing out of that motor. Don't listen to LS1tech/internet myths. Listen to your motor/MPH. (I know this is paradoxical because I'm posting suggestions on LS1tech and I just told you NOT to listen to LS1tech)
Old 02-26-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

If I find a spare 5.3 block, I'll do everyone a favor, and I'll just highlight my entire timing table above 150kpa, and multiply it by two. 11* at 18psi? pshhhh, sitting on 22s son. And when I crush every ringland in the motor, and go 5 tenths slower and 15mph less, I can prove to everyone that timing envy is good for one thing, killing motors.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM
9 Second Club

I think I am close to the end here. The tune is getting down to minor adjustments, I think I am done replacing parts (the intake was the last piece of the puzzle, unless I want to ditch the 78mm TB) and I just want to slowly and safely get the car to where I want it. I know that in the end it will still be underboosted and possibly undertimed, but it will be driving and racing, not decorating my driveway dead as a door nail.

Mike
Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CameronVic
The Law - YouTube 0:16-0:24. Know what the timing was that entire time?
What is the timing while under boost? I don't care about on the foot brake/2step/transbrake.

Im not saying its wrong, I just like reading opinions
Old 02-26-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
What is the timing while under boost? I don't care about on the foot brake/2step/transbrake.

Im not saying its wrong, I just like reading opinions
That was on 18psi and 13*. The reason I lifted is because I swore I heard it rattle the motor. Trapped 131 the pass before. non intercooled (with 2 nozzles spraying 50/50 denatured alcohol and distilled water). Blew up a motor or two then put an air to water in. Check signature for current tune up. Current motor has like 25 passes on it and she keeps asking for more. I'd personally be embarrassed if I had to put a tone of timing in a motor to go fast.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I am close to the end here. The tune is getting down to minor adjustments, I think I am done replacing parts (the intake was the last piece of the puzzle, unless I want to ditch the 78mm TB) and I just want to slowly and safely get the car to where I want it. I know that in the end it will still be underboosted and possibly undertimed, but it will be driving and racing, not decorating my driveway dead as a door nail.

Mike
Amen dude. I want to get as many miles out of my **** as possible.

My last combo went 5 years making 640rwhp with a 03 6.0l with 15/16 degrees on pump 91 with no meth. I drive it how you and denmah types do too.

Im going to give the low timing a go this summer on my current 6.0l
Old 02-26-2014, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was on 18psi and 13*. The reason I lifted is because I swore I heard it rattle the motor. Trapped 131 the pass before. non intercooled (with 2 nozzles spraying 50/50 denatured alcohol and distilled water). Blew up a motor or two then put an air to water in. Check signature for current tune up. Current motor has like 25 passes on it and she keeps asking for more. I'd personally be embarrassed if I had to put a tone of timing in a motor to go fast.
Theres no doubt that more timing closes the safe window on a tune LOL. Trust me, I don't wish I could get away with 22*, Im not advocating that at all.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
Theres no doubt that more timing closes the safe window on a tune LOL. Trust me, I don't wish I could get away with 22*, Im not advocating that at all.
I would still love to know how I melted that plug. It had to be detonation. You don't **** out the entire porcelain unless you have some serious issues in that cylinder...that or the plug had a crack to begin with. Anyway, that was pure MS109 and 15* of timing, blowing 18 psi. So, I am sticking with 13* on 18 psi. I have 14* on my 10 psi tune, but that seems fine. I am also running close to 100% meth.

Mike
Old 02-26-2014, 03:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by denmah
when i was a young internet warrior everyone on the internet tried to tell me timing makes the power in the LS motors, the only thing timing will get you is broken parts, read this entire thread if you disagree lol
Timing is largely where the power lies on any motor.

And likewise, getting greedy with timing and not taking due care when tuning will destroy any motor.

So it's common sense for the most part. If you try and push the limit if timing either via timing, fuel, boost, CR, then you will risk trouble.

People say power or boost is what leads to heads lifting and all that crap.

It isnt, it's people getting greedy with timing on combinations with far too high CR for that boost/timing/CR/fuel combination.

A little more boost and little less timing may yield power in most cases, and still be quite safe. Whereas the same boost and a little more timing...can easily lead to tears.

But sub 5degress of timing I would be keeping a very close eye on EGT's
For a 1/8th or 1/4 car it would probably be ok given teh relatively short duration.

I'd never be running a car that maintains power for longer than a few seconds at a time with such low timing unless there were ecu strategies in place to shut things down if EGT's get too high.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

I've read a lot of your posts, and I gather you know somewhat what you're talking about. It's simply baffling that you're trying to compare tuning in two different motors with two completely different cams. I know you're smart enough to realize that different cams will demand completely different tuning.
Obviously I realize this

I am not making a blanket statement that high timing is right

Though you guys are making all but a blanket statement the opposite way making guys reading think if they run high timing **** is gonna blow

I read my plugs and time slips. I give the engine what it wants .... and it wants timing

Together 5 years engine untouched
Old 02-26-2014, 03:46 PM

that is awesome but at teh same time people dont learn to creep up on it, they just drop in the ignition! lol
Old 02-26-2014, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

this is quiet the build you got here sir..
Old 02-26-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by denmah
that is awesome but at teh same time people dont learn to creep up on it, they just drop in the ignition! lol
Yep, can't put toothpaste back in the tube after you push a bunch out. LOL.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Launching!

I would still love to know how I melted that plug. It had to be detonation. You don't **** out the entire porcelain unless you have some serious issues in that cylinder...that or the plug had a crack to begin with.Mike
Without seeing the plug (is there a picture of it ?) I would lean towards a possible cracked porcelain if the electrode is not melted etc.

Years ago we had a plug **** out the porcelain on just one cylinder on our blown alcohol BBC.

After a lot of research and head scratching it seemed to be the most likely scenario...

Never had another problem like it even though we kept the same exact tune in it as before the problem.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Torqueshaft
Without seeing the plug (is there a picture of it ?) I would lean towards a possible cracked porcelain if the electrode is not melted etc.

Years ago we had a plug **** out the porcelain on just one cylinder on our blown alcohol BBC.

After a lot of research and head scratching it seemed to be the most likely scenario...

Never had another problem like it even though we kept the same exact tune in it as before the problem.
Ground strap was melted as well.

Mike

Quick Reply: Fairmont 2.0 (forged lq4, s480, 800whp, under new management)