Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

engine knock- first time i ran to 6k with the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95batmobile
sticking to lt1.. everyone does a lq or ls swap.. im gonna stick with the pain in the butt motor
I dont blame you I have always had a soft spot for the lt1's
Old 03-15-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by headed-ws6
Time for a 5.3 ls swap lol
This!

sticking to lt1.. everyone does a lq or ls swap.. im gonna stick with the pain in the butt motor
Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BanditDave
You were too lean on a high mileage motor...banged out a ring land and your crank case pressure sky-rocketed is my guess. That's why you launched ur dipstick and more than likely why you beat the **** out of your bottom end = knock.

Sorry bud.
see this is what i wanted to hear.. this is some good info here.. thanks for the post
Old 03-15-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a reason...maybe you should start taking some advice, your were given some good advice in the other thread you started ie get it dyno tuned or it will....

Last edited by 68 SS; 03-15-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lt1+boost=broken
Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 68 SS
There is a reason...maybe you should start taking some advice, your were given some good advice in the other thread you started ie get it dyno tuned or it will....
Especially on a stock block lt1..i had a perfect tune on my stock lt1 block and still broke pistons..it just amazes me that ppl dont want to tune on the dyno for turbo cars
Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree. Go with a 5.3. You can get them cheap and they can handle some decent power
Old 03-16-2012, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think he took my remove the knock sensor advice to heart.....woops.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nobody said get it DYNOtuned.. they just said get it TUNED... and the guy who said it be a bomb was referring to hot plugs and removing the knock sensor, and nothing about a tune... if your going to try and give some advice **use facts.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
did you give advice at some point?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a few of my friends went the iron 6.0 motors for boost.. is the 5.3 better for boost?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

your seeing burst knock thats why it showed up. disable burst knock
Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

a few of my friends went the iron 6.0 motors for boost.. is the 5.3 better for boost?
FWIW I just built my first 5.3 with turbos. I daily drive my 69 Chevelle and put a running 5.3 with 64k in miles in it. I used my TH400 and old convertor. Sitll was able to almost use everything I had and almost everything that came with the new engine. I paid to have it tuned on the dyno like was mentioned. Then I could start playing with the tune on the street. It was tuned to hold together at WOT but runs a little rough on the street. lol I rape it on a daily basis at 15lbs of boost. I took it to the track for the first time last week and left off no boost and ran it to only 7lbs of boost and it ran 6.85 in the 1/8th. Then took her home.

The point is these 5.3's have proven to hold up pretty well. I have over 1500 miles on mine. Just changed the oil a second time and no signs of bearing wear. My entire running engine was $583 complete with wiring harness, pcm, alternator, starter, etc.. I used all of it.

College is expensive. This actually may be the cheapest way to go in the long run. If you blow it up, you can get another one and still sale the alternator, starter, harness, pcm and probably get most the money back. You would just be out of the labor time to do the swap.

Good luck. Hope this helps a little.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From what Ive read, you can easily put 15 psi on a 5.3 and it will smile all day. That is of course with proper fuel and minimum supporting modes.

Im a college student, so a 5.3 is what ill play with for now. Looking to put around 20 psi on the little motor with the new magnum MT80.

This is a great thread shows what a completely stock 5.3 can do.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...highlight=gt45
Old 03-16-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool, good information here.. from what im reading the lt1 4l60 wont bolt up... i have a mess of money in my trans and that would be a big waste if there was not way to make that work... but also is there a way to get ac? this would not be my dd but it would still be nice to have ac..
Old 03-16-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wicked69
FWIW I just built my first 5.3 with turbos. I daily drive my 69 Chevelle and put a running 5.3 with 64k in miles in it. I used my TH400 and old convertor. Sitll was able to almost use everything I had and almost everything that came with the new engine. I paid to have it tuned on the dyno like was mentioned. Then I could start playing with the tune on the street. It was tuned to hold together at WOT but runs a little rough on the street. lol I rape it on a daily basis at 15lbs of boost. I took it to the track for the first time last week and left off no boost and ran it to only 7lbs of boost and it ran 6.85 in the 1/8th. Then took her home.

The point is these 5.3's have proven to hold up pretty well. I have over 1500 miles on mine. Just changed the oil a second time and no signs of bearing wear. My entire running engine was $583 complete with wiring harness, pcm, alternator, starter, etc.. I used all of it.

College is expensive. This actually may be the cheapest way to go in the long run. If you blow it up, you can get another one and still sale the alternator, starter, harness, pcm and probably get most the money back. You would just be out of the labor time to do the swap.

Good luck. Hope this helps a little.
'

thanks for the info! do you know how much power you car makes at 15lbs? also are you running the stock heads?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 03-16-2012, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did you give advice at some point?
Yea, but I was just messing with you.

Sounds like you had a knock issue due to too much timing. If your car wasn't tuned for the added airflow from the turbo then the over timed issue becomes a really big problem because now your over timed and lean.

That combined with the hotter plugs you were running spelled disaster for you. My guess is the tops of at least one if not several of your pistons are gone along with the 1st ring land if not more. Most likely when the piston and ring land went it butted and bent the rod also taking out the bearing which is why it is knocking now.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

'

thanks for the info! do you know how much power you car makes at 15lbs? also are you running the stock heads?
Right around 600 to the wheels but we only ran it to 6k because only one pump was working. Realistically it is probably around 635-650rwhp. Nothing great but I drive it a lot.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, but I was just messing with you.

Sounds like you had a knock issue due to too much timing. If your car wasn't tuned for the added airflow from the turbo then the over timed issue becomes a really big problem because now your over timed and lean.

That combined with the hotter plugs you were running spelled disaster for you. My guess is the tops of at least one if not several of your pistons are gone along with the 1st ring land if not more. Most likely when the piston and ring land went it butted and bent the rod also taking out the bearing which is why it is knocking now.
i know it was not a serious post.. thats why i agreed with you in saying that i would not unplug the knock sensor, so im not sure why i got hated on in that thread.. but i switched my plugs to tr6's.. it had also been dataloged and tuned 6 times so i thought it was tuned good.. but o well

Quick Reply: engine knock- first time i ran to 6k with the turbo