Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lots of questions

so i have a nissan 240 with a ls1 and a t56
engine is from a 2004 GTO with 241 heads. i went with the v8 because i was tired of dealing with a turbo 4cyl.
well now i want a turbo V8 lol. looking to net around 600hp

first question, whats a safe HP limit for a completly stocks ls1? only has 26,000 miles on the motor.

2. ive heard the ls1 pistons are a weak point, would i just need pistons to reach 600 or would i have to do the rods too. or do you think stock is enough?

3 cams: ive been looking into a few, TSP custom grind, or like a XER287hr.
but ive been thinking of doing a mech roller, i only drive this thing every once and a while. any recomendations?

im trying to do more of a budget build but i dont want a pile of crap lol

thanks for any input
Old 03-19-2012, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do 600 on a stock engine but I would recommend some good fuel and meth injection. If you do the rods and pistons you can do 900 no problem with all the supporting things
Old 03-19-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Not really a set standard, but you will probably not see 600rwhp on a bone stock LS1. A lot of guys seem to find the limits of the stock bottom end around 500-550rwhp with a built valvetrain (hardened pushrods, head studs, valvesprings, etc...) But a lot of that is in the tune.

2. I'm looking for around 600 and went with new pistons and rods. The stock pistons are the weaker of the two points but I don't see a reason to not throw some new rods in if you're already replacing the pistons. Some ARP rod bolts would be a good idea if you aren't going to change rods.

3. Do a search in the FI forum on that one. There are a metric **** ton of threads on cam selection for FI.

An LS1 with 600rwhp is going to have a tough time fitting into the "budget build" category. I was hoping to stick to a reasonable budget on mine when I started this project about 2 years ago. Almost $9,000 later I'm still into my car a lot less than some guys, but it's hardly what I would call a budget build.

In addition to the actual turbo kit I would budget for head studs, valvesprings, pushrods, clutch and flywheel, fuel system (if not included in the kit), and set aside another chunk of cash for all of the different fittings, gaskets, and miscellaneous parts you'll end up needing.