Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Please help...turbo for towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help...turbo for towing

I need help planning an inexpensive DIY turbo for about 60-80 ft/lbs @4000 rpm. I don't care about peak HP, only HP 1000-4000 rpm.

I have been towing with a stock 2006 2500hd with the 6.0, hd trans, and 4.10 gears.

Now I have a 2002 suburban with a 5.3, standard trans, and 3.73 gears. (truck weighs 700 lbs less)

I am trying to get back the towing power I lost because I need every bit.

I have the flex fuel 5.3 with larger injectors.

what is the least expensive way to do this right. I tow 7500lbs for 300 miles at a time.

Thank you
Old 03-27-2012, 02:26 AM
Teching In

Gas turbo systems are made for performance, not towing. You are not expected to stay in boost very long at all, like less then 30 seconds. If you need boost to stay at 75, just don't even start the project, buy a different truck or engine for yours, instead of burning your suburban to the ground.

If you can stay at speed fine, and will be in vacuum more then boost, it probably could work. I would want a huge air to air IC, a water cooled turbo, a tranny cooler and maybe an oil cooler.

But you'd probably be better off to just swap to a more powerful ls truck engine. The L92 would do it, but I don't know if you would run into any problems since that engine is quite a bit newer then your truck.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:51 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your advice.

would a procharger be better? any other mods that would be better. I need this 5.3 to have the power of the 6.0 when towing.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 03:23 AM
Teching In

Centrifugal superchargers airflow increases with the square (or maybe it's cube? I can't remember) of compressor speed. What that means is that twice the rpm you have 4 times the airflow so you get twice the boost. More boost at higher rpm, less boost at lower rpm, and there is nothing you can do about that. Except for some kind of clutch system, that would be way past your budget unless I'm way off the mark on current centrifugal tech.

Roots, twin screw, positive displacement, blower would be much better for pulling stuff as it makes boost at any rpm, but makes your intercooler system much more complicated. Most likely would be a water to air IC. My Syclone is turbo and W2A IC, because it came that way. I feel that A2A is better except for the drag strip where you can run ice water. You could go hot air, but might need higher then 93 octane if you do.

You would probably have $6000 in either one.

Lifting the hood on my truck after a 1/4 mile pass is exactly like opening the door to an oven. Either type of supercharger would be a lot better then a turbo on under hood temps.

I think you'd be better off just buying a truck that can pull what you want.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Kurt (goes by 427) tows all the time with his turbo setup. Probably half of his truck's life, or more.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

itd be way cheaper for you to grab a junkyard 6.0 and swap it in
Old 03-27-2012, 05:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Syclone538
Gas turbo systems are made for performance, not towing. You are not expected to stay in boost very long at all, like less then 30 seconds. If you need boost to stay at 75, just don't even start the project, buy a different truck or engine for yours, instead of burning your suburban to the ground.

If you can stay at speed fine, and will be in vacuum more then boost, it probably could work. I would want a huge air to air IC, a water cooled turbo, a tranny cooler and maybe an oil cooler.

But you'd probably be better off to just swap to a more powerful ls truck engine. The L92 would do it, but I don't know if you would run into any problems since that engine is quite a bit newer then your truck.
Dont talk a lot of nonsense.

A well designed turbo setup can be run for hours if need be. Turbos are an ideal addition for towing due to the extra torque increase they offer.

A Centrifugal would be a total waste of money for improving towing performance.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 PM
8 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

yep yep
Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Putting a turbo system on to make a 5.3 act like a 6.0 is a huge waste of time and money. Swap in a 6L bottom end. It will make your life much easier and cost a lot less in the end.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would probably run a rear mount to meet your needs. My truck is AWD Silverado SS with 6.0 and single 72mm turbo. I run one additional engine radiator to help with cooling while towing. I have run over one hour in boost with no problem as long as you can keep the engine coolant from overheating. It will maintain 75mph on a 5% grade with 12,000 pound trailer.

Kurt

Quick Reply: Please help...turbo for towing