Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A2W big dogs inside!!! Cell placement pics/question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A2W big dogs inside!!! Cell placement pics/question

Planned on mounting the water cell in the t-top hatch area. After sitting it there, I noticed it was a few inches lower than the IC itself which sits under the dash. Obviously you want both the IC and tank to be FULL of water.....but I'm thinking gravity might want to push water from the IC, to the cell.....maybe causing overflow issues. Or possibly air bubble issues in the IC??

What do you guys think?

Option 1, preferred location--Pic of tank sitting in t-top hatch just so you can get an idea of where I'm talking about:

Option 2--Here is the possible solution if Option1 is no good. Only bummer is that it raises my center of gravity and we would have built the cell shorter if we planned it going here.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM
9 Second Club

Daytime bump
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you mount it in the t-top area higher? I think your want the wieght as far back as possible.

but im no big dog so i dont know.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will not matter, the pump will purge any air that may be in the lines very quickly once on just mount the pump in the tank and don't look back.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:16 PM
9 Second Club

Keep the opinions coming please guys, and thanks for the info so far. A local racer to me that runs ~200mph in his TT A2W Camaro said option 1 won't work.....and I greatly value his opinion. He didn;t say why but his car has been running numbers as long as I have been in the turbo LS game.....so I'd feel like an idiot questioning him.

Wouldn't mounting it low create a siphon once the pump turned off.....possibly overflowing the tank?

Has anyone actually ran a set-up positioned like this before with good results? (High HP, low intake temps on 100* days)

It does look super baller with the tank right in the back window....but we are just bummed we built it tall thinking it would go in the t-top well. We could have built it 6" shorter if we knew we had to mount it high!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Teching In

My experience with W2A is the stock Syclone system, pretty far from your setup and goals.

To get all the air out you want the cap at the highest point, but with a tank that size you don't even need to get all the air out. You want your pump pulling from the bottom of the tank, so it always pulls water and never air.

With the pump not running, if you open the lid of the tank to put some ice in it, the water from the charge air cooler might run back into the tank, depending on how the lines are routed, if the water can go downhill all the way. I don't think it would matter, depending on how much water your cac holds. Put it together, turn the pump on and watch the water level go down as the pump fills the cac. If you are sure that with that amount of air in the tank that the inlet to the pump will always be submerged, I wouldn't be concerned.

You also want to make sure the water is going in the bottom of the cac and out the top, so it doesn't trap any air.

Put it together outside of the car and just play around with it to see what it does.

Last edited by Syclone538; 04-07-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninetres
Keep the opinions coming please guys, and thanks for the info so far. A local racer to me that runs ~200mph in his TT A2W Camaro said option 1 won't work.....and I greatly value his opinion. He didn;t say why but his car has been running numbers as long as I have been in the turbo LS game.....so I'd feel like an idiot questioning him.

Wouldn't mounting it low create a siphon once the pump turned off.....possibly overflowing the tank?

Has anyone actually ran a set-up positioned like this before with good results? (High HP, low intake temps on 100* days)

It does look super baller with the tank right in the back window....but we are just bummed we built it tall thinking it would go in the t-top well. We could have built it 6" shorter if we knew we had to mount it high!
question him, your never gonna learn if you dont ask. im sure he wont be offended
Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You are over thinking this, mount the pump in the tank plumb it with the return in the top of the tank and it will function fine. You can install a ball valve in the return line but i don't think it will be necessary. As said above install it and test it bet you find it works fine.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 PM
8 Second Club

air will always find the highest spot to stay.. so you will never get the air out unless you vent it with a bleeder at the very top. everytime you drain the ic tank to refill it you will drain down part of the IC and then you will have air back in the IC you will have to bleed off again. once you get air in the system you stand the chance of having the pump get air locked (water pumps can not pump air) and you will have no flow through your IC and that will cause high inlet temps and could cause possiable engine damage.

i have had several IC tanks mounted in different spots in my car with many different IC's and have made my mistakes.

you always want your drain to be above the top of the IC tanks/lines or you may get into air problems
Old 04-07-2012, 11:16 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys. Consensus from on here, and from several other trusted sources say to mount the drain above the IC. That's where its going to go.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 PM
9 Second Club

8 second club eh Dave? lol
Old 04-08-2012, 02:33 AM
10 Second Club

i've got mine mounted on the "hump" area, my battery is in the ttop well. the cage will go through the speaker holes so there is plenty of room for it back there.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
9 Second Club

Building a trick little stand so it stands up high in the t top well. Pics tonight.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 PM
9 Second Club

Finished the box and got it mounted today. Made a little stand to raise it up. Solid as a brick **** house. At some point we might build a lower profile box but this one looks like it will work just fine.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

how about an air bleed valve? I put one in my radiator hose which is the highest point in my system. It was $5 at oreilly.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 PM
9 Second Club

Problem solved with the height we mounted the tank.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 AM
8 Second Club

Have a look...
Attached Thumbnails A2W big dogs inside!!!  Cell placement pics/question-trans-am-interior-water-tank-22.jpg  
Old 04-10-2012, 01:41 AM
9 Second Club

Is that a beckson lid? Mine is, and its a bitch to turn. Even grease didnt help. I noticed tge little handle on top of yours. Did you make that?

Quick Reply: A2W big dogs inside!!! Cell placement pics/question