Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost controller and wastegates on blower cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing a similar set up but with a 408 how much more is left to go in the f1
Old 05-12-2012, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by js2fst
I am doing a similar set up but with a 408 how much more is left to go in the f1
With the amount of boost that was blowing by I should have about 3 more pounds. thanks jeff
Old 06-24-2012, 01:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Ive decided to have a go at this myself after getting mine back up and running. Although not from the point of view of dumping boost at the higher rpm's, more dumping boost for low traction scenarios.

ie 1-3 gears on the street and possibly a little bit of 4th, as currently traction is non existent in the lower gears. A large power reduction should help ( ie run less boost in these gears, or up to say 120mph )

Ive only done some preliminary testing to see if it is feasible, and it seems it is. You do not need a wastegate.

Ive tested with my Mondo BOV and it works just fine. Just remove the two brass filters on the bottom ports so you can apply boost and this will allow you to vent pressure.

I tried using a regular 3 port solenoid to regulate pressure into this but it isnt suitable. Boost signal needs removed from the top port in order to vent enough air otherwise the valve just stays shut.

The OP in this thread is going about this in a slightly different way, same end result.

So here is what is needed. 4 port solenoid. Obviously some form of boost controller is still needed to control this. I'll just be using my ecu so will try to limit boost by gear

http://circuitse7en.net/fantcube/ind...d&productId=23

It will basically allow you to blow air into either top or bottom port as required, or any split in between.
So you can blow the valve open at one extreme, or blow it shut at the other.

green = unpowered
red = 12v applied.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Ive decided to have a go at this myself after getting mine back up and running. Although not from the point of view of dumping boost at the higher rpm's, more dumping boost for low traction scenarios.

ie 1-3 gears on the street and possibly a little bit of 4th, as currently traction is non existent in the lower gears. A large power reduction should help ( ie run less boost in these gears, or up to say 120mph )

Ive only done some preliminary testing to see if it is feasible, and it seems it is. You do not need a wastegate.

Ive tested with my Mondo BOV and it works just fine. Just remove the two brass filters on the bottom ports so you can apply boost and this will allow you to vent pressure.

I tried using a regular 3 port solenoid to regulate pressure into this but it isnt suitable. Boost signal needs removed from the top port in order to vent enough air otherwise the valve just stays shut.

The OP in this thread is going about this in a slightly different way, same end result.

So here is what is needed. 4 port solenoid. Obviously some form of boost controller is still needed to control this. I'll just be using my ecu so will try to limit boost by gear

http://circuitse7en.net/fantcube/ind...d&productId=23

It will basically allow you to blow air into either top or bottom port as required, or any split in between.
So you can blow the valve open at one extreme, or blow it shut at the other.

green = unpowered
red = 12v applied.

It sounds like that will work but keep in mind I have since added co2 to mine because the boost alone on top of the w/g just would not hold the w/g shut when we were dynoing, we were probably loosing 2lbs of boost. jeff
Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 AM
9 Second Club

That's an issue with using a wastegate. The diaphragm on top isn't large enough relative to the valve, so boost in the ic pipework is able to apply more force on the valve than the top can.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

That's an issue with using a wastegate. The diaphragm on top isn't large enough relative to the valve, so boost in the ic pipework is able to apply more force on the valve than the top can.
Ok I see where your coming from. jeff
Old 02-11-2016, 12:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious to know if you guys got all that working good with a normal BOV. Thinking about pinning up a solenoid into the Haltech and playing with this on our F1 Formula.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:03 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So many mixed reviews on this over the years. Does it work, yes. Should you do it..............well probably not.

When you free flow a blower into the atmosphere it apparently puts tremendous strain on it, often resulting in it premature failure.

My take on the whole deal...........When your not doing any serious racing, keep it pulleyed down or just simply keep your foot out of it. Then when its time to do something, put the kill pulleys on it and do your thing.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
Curious to know if you guys got all that working good with a normal BOV. Thinking about pinning up a solenoid into the Haltech and playing with this on our F1 Formula.
Yes it does work, yes it is easy, and I dont believe for a second it will hurt the blower.

You can use any BOV that flows enough air for you, and that allows you access to above and below the diaphragm so you can either blow it closed, or open.

Then you need a 4 port solenoid to hook up to the BOV.

Basically 0% duty the valve will operate as normal, 100% duty would effectively see the ports reversed so boost pressure always tries to blow the valve open just like a wastegate.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:20 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Yes it does work, yes it is easy, and I dont believe for a second it will hurt the blower.

You can use any BOV that flows enough air for you, and that allows you access to above and below the diaphragm so you can either blow it closed, or open.

Then you need a 4 port solenoid to hook up to the BOV.

Basically 0% duty the valve will operate as normal, 100% duty would effectively see the ports reversed so boost pressure always tries to blow the valve open just like a wastegate.
You have obviously not seen any of the open flow testing done by Steve Morris. Horsepower required to drive the blower into free air sky rockets.

Do don't post as if it is okay only if you "think" it is okay.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:35 AM
9 Second Club

And look how many blowers fail on boost. We better stop running them like that too.

I ran mine for 2 years bleeding off, it works, it didn't explode my blower or even anything remotely like it.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:36 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Never said your **** would blow up. Also, bleeding pressure is a little different than flat out free flowing it. Hence, why I said it "often results" and not "always results" in premature failure.

Running the blower into a restricted space (like the motor) is not nearly as hard on it. So the first two sentences in your last post make zero sense.

I'm just posting based on real world testing, where several of the different procharger head units where flowed (both restricted to certain boost levels, and open flowed) and the amount of power to drive the blower sky rockets when there is no restriction.

Go outside with your leave blower, hold that ****** wide open, now put you hand over the outlet and tell me what happens. I'll save you the trouble.........the motor/impeller speed up tremendously as all of the load is gone. This is an analogy, but obviously in the other direction.

Like I said.........it works, but not the smartest way to get to the desired end result.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:00 AM
9 Second Club

How can it speed up when there is a solid mechanical drive with no slip possible ? Blower speed will always be relative to engine rpm. That cannot change.

And you dont know what the guy who is asking end result actually is. I thought he wanted a way of regulating boost with his blower, using his ecu and a BOV...which is what he asked.

Hence doing what I said will work, and work perfectly for what he wanted to do.

And even with a big red blowing it open as much as boost will allow, I couldnt achieve less than 8-9psi boost ( at the top end ) with my YSI vs 24psi or so with no leaks.

So to achieve a very low boost level it will take a lot more BOV or w/g than you think.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:53 AM
8 Second Truck Club

How can it speed up when there is a solid mechanical drive with no slip possible ? Blower speed will always be relative to engine rpm. That cannot change.

And you dont know what the guy who is asking end result actually is. I thought he wanted a way of regulating boost with his blower, using his ecu and a BOV...which is what he asked.

Hence doing what I said will work, and work perfectly for what he wanted to do.

And even with a big red blowing it open as much as boost will allow, I couldnt achieve less than 8-9psi boost ( at the top end ) with my YSI vs 24psi or so with no leaks.

So to achieve a very low boost level it will take a lot more BOV or w/g than you think.
We are clearly not on the same page. So I'll just stop.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys, I ended up selling the F1 off our car and went with a S485... should make more steam with it on this combo anyhow and with infinitely adjustable boost lol.

Quick Reply: Boost controller and wastegates on blower cars