Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

air to water intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
No calculations that I know of, so many different quality parts that look the same. HE and intercoolers I have tested with a simple test that helps me qualify them in my head.
I have a jet wash tank that runs the water at 200f.
I fill a 5 gallon fuel cell with water, this cell has a single Bosch water pump from the Ford lightning.
I pump the water into the part I want to compare and check water flow.
Equalize water flow with simple ball valve on both (or more) parts.
I use a small cage fan that is 120 volt that blows directly on the part.
I then fill the water tank with 5 gallons of hot water, the tank has a single thermocouple that I read with a meter for temp, normally I can get around 200F in the tank at the start.
I then start the pump and fan.
Then time the temp drop from 180F to 100F.
The better HE or intercooler will drop the temp faster.

Kurt
Kurt, I have the book street sleepers. That Nova is bad ***. I have a question. I already have a a2a on my 69 chevelle with twin 70's. Car is driven daily and I average 300 miles a week. I run E85 from the pump. My car just ran a 5.99@116mph at 3720lbs.

My question is since I alreafy am running the a2a and e85, I was just thinking if I left it but added a meth kit and ran pure meth for an increase in octane and some more cooling down, I could get a little more power and keep IAT'S even cooler. Mine are under a 100 driving. And no more than 170 on a wide open track pass. 5.70's are goal so I can try for a 8 sec pass in 1/4. Would this work almost as well? I only ask because its already got the a2a.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a buddy to convert from his front mount a2a to a small a2w a couple years ago from frozen boost and realized a drop of at least 20 degrees while I'm boost and using the lightning pump on all the time he cruised at like 5 degrees above ambient all the time with a small heat exchanger. Car made more power, quicker spool (marginally) and was quicker. Was a 100% street car. He has it to this day and is still using it. I got the kit from frozen boost, eBay type company but they work!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you already have it you might as well try it. I would put the meth in at the turbochargers where the temp is highest and see if you can reach your goal.

Kurt
Originally Posted by Wicked69
Kurt, I have the book street sleepers. That Nova is bad ***. I have a question. I already have a a2a on my 69 chevelle with twin 70's. Car is driven daily and I average 300 miles a week. I run E85 from the pump. My car just ran a 5.99@116mph at 3720lbs.

My question is since I alreafy am running the a2a and e85, I was just thinking if I left it but added a meth kit and ran pure meth for an increase in octane and some more cooling down, I could get a little more power and keep IAT'S even cooler. Mine are under a 100 driving. And no more than 170 on a wide open track pass. 5.70's are goal so I can try for a 8 sec pass in 1/4. Would this work almost as well? I only ask because its already got the a2a.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
No calculations that I know of, so many different quality parts that look the same. HE and intercoolers I have tested with a simple test that helps me qualify them in my head.
I have a jet wash tank that runs the water at 200f.
I fill a 5 gallon fuel cell with water, this cell has a single Bosch water pump from the Ford lightning.
I pump the water into the part I want to compare and check water flow.
Equalize water flow with simple ball valve on both (or more) parts.
I use a small cage fan that is 120 volt that blows directly on the part.
I then fill the water tank with 5 gallons of hot water, the tank has a single thermocouple that I read with a meter for temp, normally I can get around 200F in the tank at the start.
I then start the pump and fan.
Then time the temp drop from 180F to 100F.
The better HE or intercooler will drop the temp faster.

Kurt
Seems like a very logical way to test the cooling of the setup. guess you can also test with all the pipework you will be using in the car.

Another question, (sorry) I have sene the nelson Racing engines use MASSIVE chargecoolers that are MUCH larger than what other builders use. it looks like they are using 4 1000bhp Garrett sized cores on a LS engine and sometimes it looks like the coolers are twice as thick, so totaling 8 cores! Can you see any reason to do this? Is there any advantage to stacking core to make the chargecooler thicker?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool thanks.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure why they do that, but it does help some if your water flow is low. The added mass will stop the temp climb for much longer and slow the eventual climb. They might really like extremely low inlet temps while using ice for big power numbers.

Kurt
Originally Posted by chuntington101
Seems like a very logical way to test the cooling of the setup. guess you can also test with all the pipework you will be using in the car.

Another question, (sorry) I have sene the nelson Racing engines use MASSIVE chargecoolers that are MUCH larger than what other builders use. it looks like they are using 4 1000bhp Garrett sized cores on a LS engine and sometimes it looks like the coolers are twice as thick, so totaling 8 cores! Can you see any reason to do this? Is there any advantage to stacking core to make the chargecooler thicker?

Quick Reply: air to water intercoolers