Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

202.5 mph Standing Mile Run in my 1000+ Rwhp Turbo Camaro - Video inside!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Boo"SS"t;16302530]
Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
7 point roll bar, and no chute. And yeah it took a lot of work to get it up there![/QUOTE]

Congrats! I think that's pretty cool. So, for guys that have'nt run any 1 mile event like myself, could you elaborate on the major factors that you had to deal with in order to break into the 200+mph? Well, obviously you have to have enough power..., and what rear gear ratio are you running? I'd like to be able to do something like this next year. Thanks!
It really depends on which group/organization your racing at. ECTA and Bonneville won't let you typically go over 175 without a long list of safety equipment (chute, hans, suit, rollcage 8+ point, etc). Then places like Texas Mile just require basically a helmet. But alot of power and good attention to mechanics are required.

Back to OP, being entered in the 2 club at 23 is f'king awesome man
Old 05-12-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Incredible

That car is clean enough you could take it to get some groceries, just at a high rate of speed!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kainedogg
Awesome brother. Was it stable at 200, what mods do you plan to do eek out a higher top speed?
Yeah It was pretty stable, with a little bit of floaty feeling. before i messed around with shock valving and aero, it was VERY floaty/ scary

Originally Posted by ZexGX
In addition to the other times I've congratulated ya, I like the dyno graph comparison that shows the 3 different stages... Pretty cool!
Thanks man! Yeah it so easy with the Eboost2. you only have to press one button to change settings, and you can do it while driving!

Originally Posted by 95batmobile
nice.. what do you do to be able to afford that at 23 lol
haha I really don't have a TON of money in it. I did every single thing myself, except for tuning. I built the motor, turbo kit, etc. Even did the vinyl wrap myself. Also this project has been growing for about 4-5 years from stock to how it is now.

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
correct me if i am wrong, but that is a vinyl wrap and not paint.
Yep! Vinyl wrap I did in my driveway!

[QUOTE=Boo"SS"t;16302530]
7 point roll bar, and no chute. And yeah it took a lot of work to get it up there![/QUOTE]

Congrats! I think that's pretty cool. So, for guys that have'nt run any 1 mile event like myself, could you elaborate on the major factors that you had to deal with in order to break into the 200+mph? Well, obviously you have to have enough power..., and what rear gear ratio are you running? I'd like to be able to do something like this next year. Thanks!
Enough power, really good clutch, aerodynamics, getting the shock valving right... you need some tall gears too, depending on your power band, max rpm, tire size, and the top speed you're shooting for. Im running a 3.25, but that might be the wrong gear for you. you need to get on a "top speed calculator" and input trans gear ratios, RPM tire size, rear end ratio, and play with it until you get the speed you want.

another extremely important thing: getting the alignment and suspension set up properly. You need as much caster as you can get, some toe in, and a little camber to do it right. Luckily I have a guy that does bonneville cars, so he knows what he's doing.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=JoeyGC5;16302964]
Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t

It really depends on which group/organization your racing at. ECTA and Bonneville won't let you typically go over 175 without a long list of safety equipment (chute, hans, suit, rollcage 8+ point, etc). Then places like Texas Mile just require basically a helmet. But alot of power and good attention to mechanics are required.

Back to OP, being entered in the 2 club at 23 is f'king awesome man
yeah we have a lot of safety gear for the 200mph class including:

helmet, neck collar, balaclava (head sock), Full race suit, race gloves, race shoes, race socks, arm restraints, fire extinguisher, roll bar minimum 6pt, 6pt harnesses, race seat, etc.

thanks man!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enough power
I know every car and setup would be different but what do you consider to be enough power for a pretty standard f-body like urs to get it up to 200mph? I say "standard" meaning its not completely hacked up and lightened down to a ridiculously low weight.
And congrats! Thats a cool accomplishment to have done.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
I know every car and setup would be different but what do you consider to be enough power for a pretty standard f-body like urs to get it up to 200mph? I say "standard" meaning its not completely hacked up and lightened down to a ridiculously low weight.
And congrats! Thats a cool accomplishment to have done.
well for 200mph, I'd say at least 850rwhp. I did 199.3 on 845rwhp, while pedaling it at the end. I could have done 200 on the stage 2 setting but i decided to quit wasting time and go all out with my stage 3 setting (1020rwhp)

also, weight isn't as much of a factor. A lot of guys ADD weight to keep the car stable. Bonneville cars will add 500 pounds or more of weight.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t
I forgot to add: a lot goes into the engine to make it live at WOT for 20-30 seconds at a time. even if your car makes reliable 1/4 mile passes, you might burn something up on a mile long pull. everything in the motor is teflon coated, pistons are ceramic/teflon, and I'm also spraying meth to cool the combustion chambers.

no dyno can really simulate this kind of load on the car. we tuned on a load bearing dyno but it just can't hold the car under load for that long, and most dynos can't spin to 200mph...
Old 05-12-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot to add: a lot goes into the engine to make it live at WOT for 20-30 seconds at a time. even if your car makes reliable 1/4 mile passes, you might burn something up on a mile long pull. everything in the motor is teflon coated, pistons are ceramic/teflon, and I'm also spraying meth to cool the combustion chambers.

no dyno can really simulate this kind of load on the car. we tuned on a load bearing dyno but it just can't hold the car under load for that long, and most dynos can't spin to 200mph...
also.. these are just my "rookie" findings. Im by no means an expert in this. Id love to hear one of the guys from LMR chime in.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

awesome that youve built this pretty much all on your own in your garage/driveway at the age of 23.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

thats ****** bad ***! props on the achievement...and only 23?! keep up the good work kid!
Old 05-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

How hard was it to wrap?

This thread makes me want to work harder now. I want to turbo my monaro (gto) but need to learn to weld etc.

Well done again
Old 05-12-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how fast are you to the half?

i was just watching some local half mile racing and the faster cars there were going 190 and 200+ to the half mile..

fastest being a twin turbo ford gt going 212 to the half..

bunch of ctsv and stuff doing 160ish.

a viper and some exotics going 130 140ish..

just curious how that compares to a full mile?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huge Congrats man for 200+mph and for great work on the car...
I wish you had a camera showing the gauges
Old 05-12-2012, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Excellent result, and well done !

As for the dyno, the dyno doesnt need to be spun to 200mph. to test if the engine can withstand max load for 30 seconds. You're testing the engine, not the dyno, so trying to run high rollers speeds is pointless.

So a decent load bearing dyno that can hold the engine at your chosen rpm ( ie in 4th gear ) will be the same. Dyno Dynamics should be able to do this, Dynapack ( hub ), Rototest ( hub ), Mainline etc
Old 05-13-2012, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Congrats indeed man! Hopefully I'll get to try out the Texas mile now that my pig is running again and see if I can't join the 200 club with ya! Good videos though and love the car...that flat green is mean looking for sure..
Old 05-13-2012, 01:34 AM
9 Second Club

Very nice.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

congrats bud! this is very cool, it has been a long goal of mine to go 200mph. i will accomplish it someday. hopefully in the near future.

awesome car!

YOUR SOURCE FOR ALL THINGS TURBO!
CASEY@HURONSPEED.COM
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
TWITTER @HURONSPEED
Old 05-13-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Josh what do you do? For work I mean? Drug Dealer? lol.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrat's man that is awesome!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Thats sweet man.

What tires are you on and what trans? Also, what would you say has best aeros between a 4th gen F-body, Fox body, New Edge/SN95, etc. and the rest of the pony cars?

It seems the Ford GT has been dominating lately in the mile, would you consider that about the best car for top end/mile racing? How does the Viper compare with the C5 and C6 as far as aeros?

Quick Reply: 202.5 mph Standing Mile Run in my 1000+ Rwhp Turbo Camaro - Video inside!