Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My LS1 finally dumped me

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My LS1 finally dumped me

Some might have seen my post in the "Sponsor Feedback" section, but here goes.

Stock LS1 block with 147K miles
Stock heads w/ comp valvetrain
9psi
544rwhp 529 tq
A/F 11:3-11:5
Timing 22 degrees (way to much)

# 7 cylinder. There was detonation on cylinders #5, #7

New motor is in the works:

6.0 Iron block
Forged LS3 internals
-Arias pistons
-Callies rods
-ARP rod bolts
L92 Heads
-ARP head studs
Comp valvetrain
Comp 226/232 568/.574 lift LSA 115 Cam
Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What is your fuel setup
Old 05-17-2012, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why so much timing?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 57 Posts

yeah thats a **** ton of timing and you werent on E85 were you???
Old 05-17-2012, 05:35 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Been there, back in January actually and still finishing up my rebuild. I was running 15psi of boost, but only 13 degrees of timing.

How do you know you were getting detonation? Did you check data logs and see KR?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was running 22 when i blew mine. ignorance is my excuse.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Tenured Member

Looks like the first compression ring was butting up and had no where to go!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To answer everyone's question, I have 60lb injectors, lonnies performance fuel pump kit (255 walbro, re-wire kit) and that's what the tuner tuned it(timing) at on pump gas. I wasn't aware that the timing was that high
Old 05-18-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiousity...how long did it last like that?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

147k and can still see the cross hatch? I'd be PO'ed in a bad way about losing the motor.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I was...am still ****ing pissed. That motor was in great shape and ran fine when I dropped it off. To be honest, the car ran into problems at the shop the day after tuning. I went to pick up the car and was told it was eating coolant. Long story short, the shop took a wheel to the surface of the block to clean it...scracthed the block to hell. Then I was told the heads were re-machined and they were, but not great quality. Basically I dropped off a perfectly running car and got this in return.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Been there, back in January actually and still finishing up my rebuild. I was running 15psi of boost, but only 13 degrees of timing.

How do you know you were getting detonation? Did you check data logs and see KR?
My Knock sensors were scaled back, so they were pretty useless
Old 05-18-2012, 03:39 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
My Knock sensors were scaled back, so they were pretty useless

Ouch that hurts. If it makes you feel any better, I did the same thing to mine, but not from too much timing, but too much boost.

At least I knew that I had built a ticking time bomb and no-one else was involved or to blame. The reason I ask about the knock was I too never saw knock and I left my sensors alone. Mine was a result of just too much power on a stock piston/ring combo. I measured my rings and they were in the 0.009-0.012 range which is way too tight for a motor making 600+ to the wheels.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. It's these kinds of stories that led me to doing as much on my own as possible. If i didn't know how to do something, I learned, and then had only myself to blame if something happened.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

This is why you can't trust anyone with tuning except for yourself. Buy hp tuners and learn to tune on your own. Then if you screw it up you can blame yourself.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
This is why you can't trust anyone with tuning except for yourself. Buy hp tuners and learn to tune on your own. Then if you screw it up you can blame yourself.
This, although I hadn't tuned my car. I do monitor them though and understand a bit of the tuning aspect. My first tune I wasn't happy with. I was running 23 degrees of timing on 93 pump gas. To keep the car from knocking the car ran really rich. I recently got retuned by a different tuner and on pump gas I'm around 16 degrees a timing and a little leaner. i feel more comfortable with that and the logs I gather look good. now on e85 I'm around 20 degrees of timing from the same tuner.

I guess what I'm getting at is not all tuners/shops are created equal and trust your gut. If you don't like the tune then find someone else that has a good reputation.

OP, did you vent the rear of the heads or no? Reason I bring it up is that there was a thread recently where it was being discussed and seemed to lean toward heat building up in the rear of the head causing #7 failure.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Ouch that hurts. If it makes you feel any better, I did the same thing to mine, but not from too much timing, but too much boost.

At least I knew that I had built a ticking time bomb and no-one else was involved or to blame. The reason I ask about the knock was I too never saw knock and I left my sensors alone. Mine was a result of just too much power on a stock piston/ring combo. I measured my rings and they were in the 0.009-0.012 range which is way too tight for a motor making 600+ to the wheels.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. It's these kinds of stories that led me to doing as much on my own as possible. If i didn't know how to do something, I learned, and then had only myself to blame if something happened.
Ouch, sorry to see your in my boat. I do most of my work myself...except tuning. I understand it, but to be honest. This is my first modified V8...coming from the import world where I did all the work except motor and machining. I do have HP, but haven't really played around with tuning. I guess its a confidence issue being that I don't know what kind of a/f's and timing these motors like.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:51 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
Ouch, sorry to see your in my boat. I do most of my work myself...except tuning. I understand it, but to be honest. This is my first modified V8...coming from the import world where I did all the work except motor and machining. I do have HP, but haven't really played around with tuning. I guess its a confidence issue being that I don't know what kind of a/f's and timing these motors like.
Like I said, I honestly wasn't too upset it happened. When it 'popped' I was busy embarassing a new srt-8 challenger, I guess he had the last laugh. But my concern at that point was just getting home because I didn't want a big towing bill on top of a motor rebuild.

Fact is, GM made these motors very efficient from the factory, which translates into a tight ring package. Too much heat, which we all know that horsepower and heat are directly related, causes the rings to expand too much, closing that gap, and then binding in the cylinders. That's the beauty in running meoh/water injection because it helps cool the pistons, rings, and chambers. Knock also has a way of taking apart pistons. Heat leads to knock, as well as too much timing.

Again, sorry to see this happen. I'd be pissed if someone else programmed my car with that much timing and took no responsibility for the outcome.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya it sucks, but I can say the new motor is in the works. Just waiting on the block to get here, then its machining time.

Quick Reply: My LS1 finally dumped me