Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

rear turbo guidance

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, never said it would spool the same as a front mount. No, a .81 will not get better performance. Better response? Yes but better performance? No. It will spool a little faster but will not make as much power, not saying the difference is huge but there is a difference. The right cam will help the rearmount come on considerably quicker than some random ots cam. It just depends on what you're after. I don't care if I make boost at half throttle. As long as I can build a few pounds on the two-step, I'm happy. For a car that's primarily used as a driver, I agree with you. I'm willing to give up a little response for more power.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK good points being made. both have valid answers. what do you you suggest for my setup on a rear mount, ? I run at the track. I have a trans brake and a 4000 stall.Im running a stock 6.0, and looking to get 550 hp to the flywheel. will the smaller hosing quit by 5500, or will the larger housing take too long to spool ?

Brian
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by jridenour31
Nope, never said it would spool the same as a front mount. No, a .81 will not get better performance. Better response? Yes but better performance? No. It will spool a little faster but will not make as much power, not saying the difference is huge but there is a difference. The right cam will help the rearmount come on considerably quicker than some random ots cam. It just depends on what you're after. I don't care if I make boost at half throttle. As long as I can build a few pounds on the two-step, I'm happy. For a car that's primarily used as a driver, I agree with you. I'm willing to give up a little response for more power.
I guess that's where we differ is that I enjoy mainly street driving and expect instant response out of my setup's and don't mind if I have to shift a few hundred rpm's sooner than with a larger A/R.

Originally Posted by superstreeter
OK good points being made. both have valid answers. what do you you suggest for my setup on a rear mount, ? I run at the track. I have a trans brake and a 4000 stall.Im running a stock 6.0, and looking to get 550 hp to the flywheel. will the smaller hosing quit by 5500, or will the larger housing take too long to spool ?

Brian
For you example, because you have a relatively large stall as well as a larger C.I. I would go with the larger A/R.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, although you're probably going to have some pretty serious slip with that converter if it's not for a boosted app. Also, with your brake, you'll be able to run a fairly tight stall and still make plenty of boost on the line.

Quick Reply: rear turbo guidance