Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

anyone with eboost2 setup for gear based mapping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default anyone with eboost2 setup for gear based mapping?

Id like to run different boost levels in the different gears but having a hell of a time finding someone who has done this.

Is anyone running the eboost 2 with this setup?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are quite a few people who have done it. I'm not one so I can't give any real info on it other than the fact that you have to run micro switches. That's all I know, somebody else should chime in soon
Old 06-10-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

In for this as well. I would love to figure this out to get my car to do work on the street.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

It says in the sales blurb it can do it.

In reality it cannot do it because it can never know what gear you are in.

It can get close with a switch ramping up SP1, SP2 SP3 etc etc on activating the switch. But the Eboost can never actually know what gear the car is in for true boost per gear.

It can only count up as far as I could make out.

I emailed Turbosmart about it a couple of times and got no response.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

It can get close with a switch ramping up SP1, SP2 SP3 etc etc on activating the switch. But the Eboost can never actually know what gear the car is in for true boost per gear.

Has anyone used the timed ramp? I had planned on trying it out but the car never ran long enough at one time.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Not sure where you sent that e-mail to Stevie but we did not get it at the US office and to be quite honest, your response to the OP is mostly incorrect.
It will count up only if you choose to operate it in sequential mode #A.

This mode allows up to six stages of boost control. Each time the Green wire sees a ground, the E-Boost will go to the next stage (each stage does NOT have to be a higher boost level than the previous stage) and will stay at the last stage triggered until either the Orange wire sees a ground (re-set) or the vehicle is powered off at which time it reverts back to stage (SP) #1.

SSB (Sequential Switching mode #B allows up and down switching similar to paddle shifting. In fact it is often used with paddle shifters.
Each time the Green wire sees a ground, the EB2 will go up to the next stage. Each time the Orange wire sees a ground, it will step back one stage. You can go back and forth all day long.

There are multiple ways to accomplish gear based boost switching..
The most simple way is using some sort of micro switches that are triggered off your shifter. When either (or both) of the Orange or Green wires see ground, the EB2 can switch stages but there is a 4 stage limit using EXTERNAL switching. If you have a 6 speed trans, only 4 of the gears can have independent boost levels but you can pick whichever gears you like.
All you do is set the EB@ up for ESP (external switching) and the NSP value (number of setpoints) to the number of stages you would like (up to 4).
If 3rd gear grounds the Green wire and and 4th gear ground the Orange wire, downshifting from 4th to 3rd with change the boost just like changing the gears. It works!

There are also many more ways to change boost levels including using outputs from the ECU to apply a ground to the appropriate EB2 input wires.

I HIGHLY recommend reading through the manual -

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/wp-cont....19_MAY_12.pdf
Old 06-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sluggish
Has anyone used the timed ramp? I had planned on trying it out but the car never ran long enough at one time.
It is done all of the time and mostly used in drag racing.
The proper mode of operation is SSC (Sequential Switching #C)

Any specific question on it?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:47 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marty Staggs
Not sure where you sent that e-mail to Stevie but we did not get it at the US office and to be quite honest, your response to the OP is mostly incorrect.
It will count up only if you choose to operate it in sequential mode #A.

This mode allows up to six stages of boost control. Each time the Green wire sees a ground, the E-Boost will go to the next stage (each stage does NOT have to be a higher boost level than the previous stage) and will stay at the last stage triggered until either the Orange wire sees a ground (re-set) or the vehicle is powered off at which time it reverts back to stage (SP) #1.

SSB (Sequential Switching mode #B allows up and down switching similar to paddle shifting. In fact it is often used with paddle shifters.
Each time the Green wire sees a ground, the EB2 will go up to the next stage. Each time the Orange wire sees a ground, it will step back one stage. You can go back and forth all day long.

There are multiple ways to accomplish gear based boost switching..
The most simple way is using some sort of micro switches that are triggered off your shifter. When either (or both) of the Orange or Green wires see ground, the EB2 can switch stages but there is a 4 stage limit using EXTERNAL switching. If you have a 6 speed trans, only 4 of the gears can have independent boost levels but you can pick whichever gears you like.
All you do is set the EB@ up for ESP (external switching) and the NSP value (number of setpoints) to the number of stages you would like (up to 4).
If 3rd gear grounds the Green wire and and 4th gear ground the Orange wire, downshifting from 4th to 3rd with change the boost just like changing the gears. It works!

There are also many more ways to change boost levels including using outputs from the ECU to apply a ground to the appropriate EB2 input wires.

I HIGHLY recommend reading through the manual -

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/wp-cont....19_MAY_12.pdf

this!

I have used all of the boost control strategies it has, the boost external switch points for boost by gear works good on the EB2 side, the problem is getting reliability from your microswitches mounted on the shifter, they tend to break.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty Staggs
If you have a 6 speed trans, only 4 of the gears can have independent boost levels but you can pick whichever gears you like.
I did this on my old APS C6Z and it worked great. I used microswitches but may be easier to set up with magnetic proximity switches on an F-body.

1st gear- SP1
2nd gear-SP2
3rd gear-SP3
4th/5th/6th gear-SP4/max boost

Old 06-16-2012, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

Hi Marty, and thanks for the answer. I emailed Turbosmart Australia, and it was a few months ago.

Again, it sounds like you are simply counting up SP1, SP2, SP3 or down SP3, SP2, SP1 etc etc via two switch inputs ( ie up and down )

Say I'm cruising and go from 1st, to 3rd, to 4th....what boost setting will that result in ? Or 1st, 3rd, 5th ?

Or changing from 4th down to 2nd gear, or 5th to 2nd then 2,3,4, etc Will the Eboost know what's happening ?

Or If cruising 5-4 then stop, select 1st ready to do...where does the boost setting end up ? It's only received one "down" signal, not 3 or 4.

The EBoost may be able to have some resemblance of gear based boost assuminmg you always go up and down through every single gear.. But the EBoost never actually knows what gear the car is in. It simply cannot until it has an rpm and speed input.

With a sequential box that can only count up/down and must always go thru all gears to do so, yes the Eboost system will work.
But on a regular H pattern where the user can select any gear at any time...it can never give true boost per gear.

Although please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dont get me wrong it is a fantastic controller, with super stable boost and very easy to use. But saying it can do boost per gear is misleading.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Although please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dont get me wrong it is a fantastic controller, with super stable boost and very easy to use. But saying it can do boost per gear is misleading.
Sorry man, I dont want to argue with you but I think you are indeed wrong.
You just dont understand how to make it work.
I believe the post directly before yours demonstrates it very nicely.

I will concede that we are wrong if you can convince me that running a specific stage of boost for each specific gear does not equate to gear based boost control.
I have been doing this for a very long time - FYI

I personally think you are confusing our sequential boost control with externally switched based boost control.

I will explain EXACTLY how this works and reference each page of the manual for your information if you like.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Lets look at a H pattern shifter as suggested.

How does the transmission know what gear to engage?
There is a linkage, rod , cables or some other mechanism that physically moves the selector and/or selectors.

So, using an H pattern shifter, I would program the E-Boost2 switch logic to ESP (external switch points) as described on page #20 of the manual.
SL (Switch Logic)
ESP (External switching point): Up to 4 boost groups can be selected directly by externally grounding or earthing the green and/or
orange wires from the e-Boost2 loom to the chassis. The appropriate wire corresponding to the set point you wish to select is shown in
the table below.
Active set point Green wire Orange Wire
Set point 1 Green wire Not connected / Orange wire Not connected
Set point 2 Green wire Earthed / Orange wire Not connected
Set point 3 Green wire Not connected / Orange wire Earthed
Set point 4 Green wire Earthed / Orange wire Earthed

Next, I would set the number of stages (we call them number of setpoints or NSP) to 4 as shown on page #16 of the manual
Setting nSP (Number of set points): The e-Boost2 is capable of controlling up to 6 individual boost
groups. Setting nSP to a value from 1-6 will then enable that number of boost groups (and their associated set point, gate pressure and
sensitivity) in the boost menu and live mode. Press MODE to enter the menu and adjust the values using the UP and DOWN keys.
Press MODE again to save the desired setting.
In this case, you can have a maximum of 4 different stages in ESP mode.

I usually like to start out with neutral and 1st gear to be the 1st stage.
This would be Boost Group #1 and the duty cycle setting for the boost target is SP1.
Neither the Green nor the Orange wire are grounded and each time the car is started, it is on the 1st boost stage.

Now, shift the car into 2nd gear. Install a a bolt or tab on the linkage and a N/O switch (there are literally 1000's types of switches available) so that the switch is closed when the car is in 2nd gear only. run one side of the switch to chassis ground and connect the Green wire to the other side of the switch.
This will now put you in Boost Group (stage) #2 whenever you have the shifter in the 2nd gear position. If you start the car in 2nd gear, downshift to second gear, etc you WILL be on the 2nd stage of boost and ONLY when you are in 2nd gear.

Now, shift the car into 3rd gear. Install a a bolt or tab on the linkage and a N/O switch so that the switch is closed when the car is in 3rd gear only. run one side of the switch to chassis ground and connect the Orange wire to the other side of the switch.
This will now put you in Boost Group (stage) #3 whenever you have the shifter in the 3rd gear position. If you start the car in 3rd gear, downshift to 3rd gear, etc you WILL be on the 3rd stage of boost and ONLY when you are in 3rd gear.

Now for the 4th boost stage,BOTH Orange and Green wires need to see a ground.
You can put this on 4th, 5th, 6th gear or even a button on the steering wheel.
For example you are driving along in whatever gear and you just feel the need for max boost (or whatever you have SP4 set at). Just push and hold that button. As long as that button is pressed, you will be on that stage of boost and if you let it go, you will revert back to whatever stage is grounded.

So as I hope you can see, the stage of boost is dependent on the gear selection and however you chose to set it up.

It is important to understand that each stage of boost is independently programmed and as such, each successive stage does NOT need to be higher than the previous. It can be lower if your application requires it.

The E-Boost2 is very flexible and the different configurations are only limited to your imagination and ability to apply it.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hoping to get it to work with my factory computer on my Auto. Maby some how read what gear it is in through the computer.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 PM
9 Second Club

I can see what you're saying now Marty. The switches dont actually count up/down as such, but the combination of O/C contacts define each of the 4 different settings. But do of course require multiple switches installed on the H pattern

I guess it is very close to proper boost per gear, just doing it in a roundabout way and with only 4 modes

Thanks for explaining it. The question has come up before on this forum too, and nobody had been able to explain how to make it work.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Teching In

I can see what you're saying now Marty. The switches dont actually count up/down as such, but the combination of O/C contacts define each of the 4 different settings. But do of course require multiple switches installed on the H pattern

I guess it is very close to proper boost per gear, just doing it in a roundabout way and with only 4 modes

Thanks for explaining it. The question has come up before on this forum too, and nobody had been able to explain how to make it work.
I am glad I could make some sense of it -

I just recently joined this board as I was told there were many people asking questions about Turbosmart.
Also, the E-Boost is nowhere near through with its life cycle.
The E-Boost2 is the third generation, and there has been 9 software versions since its inception in 2002 (over 10 years ago). Many updates are always in the works as the chipsets evolve.

I am glad to answer any and all questions about boost control in general.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by offaxis
I was hoping to get it to work with my factory computer on my Auto. Maby some how read what gear it is in through the computer.
There are many people that have done just that.
I am not privy to the details as to how.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:37 PM
9 Second Club

I think I seen somewhere that Lingenfelter offer some electronic trickery that can alert external devices as to which gear ?

Ideally though if the controller had a speed and rpm input, it would be true and very easy to use boost by gear

You mention the EBoost2 has seen many upgrades over the years ? Any major changes in the past few years ? Are software upgrades an end user thing, or return to dealer ?
Old 06-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Teching In

I think I seen somewhere that Lingenfelter offer some electronic trickery that can alert external devices as to which gear ?

Ideally though if the controller had a speed and rpm input, it would be true and very easy to use boost by gear

You mention the EBoost2 has seen many upgrades over the years ? Any major changes in the past few years ? Are software upgrades an end user thing, or return to dealer ?
We would love to add all kinds of inputs etc but we could not fit any more chips/boards into the cup and are enough people demanding it and willing to pay for it??????????
We have the RPM input but speed is a whole other matter. Which type of speed sensor? Remember our products are sold in 52 countries. Speed versus RPM = gear used is different for every typr of vehicle there is. Whose should it be programmed for? What about the other makes? Adjustabe = more chips and software. It is a very slippery slope.

Quite honestly, there really have not been many requests for speed input and folks like Lingenfelter have developed their own product to accomplish that function. They are also customers of ours.

We offer things that nobody else in this industry does such as RPM based boost compensation. This is VERY effective on LS motors etc.
This came out two years ago.
60psi MAP sensor standard in each unit came out just over a year ago. Etc.

The software is hard coded on the chips so unfortunately they are not upgrade able. However, we offer significant discounts to loyal customer wanted to trade theirs in if there are functions that their unit cannot perform.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 PM
9 Second Club

There are only two common types of speed signal. Hall and mag/vr. Hall would be easier for you as its just a simple digital signal. For those with vr, signal conditioners are available to convert this externally if needed. The rest of setup would just be a software matter where user enters gear ratios, road speed pulses etc.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Apexi AVC-R can do boost by gear without switches. What it does is compare RPM and Speed to figure out the gear you are in. You actually input the ratios when you initially set it up. This is how those fancy RacePaks work too. Having microswitches in a race car would be redonculous.

Quick Reply: anyone with eboost2 setup for gear based mapping?