Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost reference location for waste gate.. what is the final answer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would reference the manifold as long as the reference line wasn't a mile long. The longer your reference line is, the less response it will have.

But I am also a firm believer in the "Reference what the motor sees" theory.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

manifold, had a hell of time getting mine tuned when i had it hooked up to compressor. boost was falling off bad on the top end. moved it to the manifold and problem solved. this was recommended by the wastegate company. i must be loosing a lot of psi thru ebay intercooler. what the turbo is putting out and whats getting to manifold is a big difference.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by black4.8
manifold, had a hell of time getting mine tuned when i had it hooked up to compressor. boost was falling off bad on the top end. moved it to the manifold and problem solved. this was recommended by the wastegate company. i must be loosing a lot of psi thru ebay intercooler. what the turbo is putting out and whats getting to manifold is a big difference.
I was thinking the same thing about the intercooler but it was making the exact same boost being referenced off the manifold as opposed to the compressor but felt a bit laggy.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

im wondering is this is causing some of my boosting issues. im gonna see what my car does with the referece to the compressor. just an experiment.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My plan is to use the compressor housing for the wastegate. It's supposed to be more responsive, it won't put a vacuum on the wastegate, and the boost at the compressor housing will be greater than in the manifold, so it should be a little safer.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like others have said I also reference directly off the compressor housing to the bottom of the gate.

I also tap the truboosts boost control solenoid into the compressor housing so that it gets higher psi sooner to the top of the gate to help keep it closed and spook faster.

The guage/controller reads off actual manifold psi levels so when you actually see say 10# at the motor the controller will start to let the wg open.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

While a different set up being internal gates mostly, most of the oem turbos cars reference it off the compressor housing.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I were to run wastegate spring only and no mbc/ebc I would reference off the intake manifold personally. That way the gate doesn't start to crack until the motor sees the boost.

And to the ppl that say the gate shouldn't and isn't made to see vacuum just put a one way check valve inline. Could use the same one most ppl use between the valley cover and manifold to keep boost out of the crank case and still maintain pcv under part throttle.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default 3X Vote

Wastegate = compressor housing

BOV & Boost Gauge = Intake manifold

Then just make a few 'full boost' runs (with the wife reading the boost gauge) to know how to tweek (open or closed) the manual controller...

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
I have mine to the compressor housing. The boost gauge is referenced to the manifold. I'm running a manual controller, so i just turn it up/down until it results in the desired manifold pressure reading.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 95bowtie
If I were to run wastegate spring only and no mbc/ebc I would reference off the intake manifold personally. That way the gate doesn't start to crack until the motor sees the boost.

And to the ppl that say the gate shouldn't and isn't made to see vacuum just put a one way check valve inline. Could use the same one most ppl use between the valley cover and manifold to keep boost out of the crank case and still maintain pcv under part throttle.

Dont put a check valve on your reference line, you would be trapping pressurized air in the line and holding the gate open.

I personnally use the compressor discharge port for the bottom of the gate and use a boost controller to add pressure to the top of the gate. Works great
Old 04-29-2013, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silver_82
Dont put a check valve on your reference line, you would be trapping pressurized air in the line and holding the gate open.

I personnally use the compressor discharge port for the bottom of the gate and use a boost controller to add pressure to the top of the gate. Works great
If your running wastegate spring only no controller at all and the top port is open on the gate it acts as a vent. Atleast on the tial it does.

It was just a thought on the check valve for the ppl saying the gate shouldn't see vacuum. Haven't done it but seems like it would work fine keeping vacuum off the diaphragm. Atleast on a tial since I know those vent.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 95bowtie
If your running wastegate spring only no controller at all and the top port is open on the gate it acts as a vent. Atleast on the tial it does.

It was just a thought on the check valve for the ppl saying the gate shouldn't see vacuum. Haven't done it but seems like it would work fine keeping vacuum off the diaphragm. Atleast on a tial since I know those vent.
A check valve in the line to the wastegate would trap pressure as mentioned causing the gate to stick open. Check valves only let flow go one direction. A wastegate needs to flow air both directions (let pressure in to open the gate, and let it out so the gate can close itself). The vent in the top of the wastegate is not connected to the bottom port, at least not that I'm aware. It just lets air out of the top cavity as the gate opens, and vice versa.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correct, the top port is sealed from the bottom, otherwise the boost reference would fly right through the gate and do nothing. the top port is there if you want to put additional pressure on top of the gate to hold it closed for more boost or whatever.

and yes the one way check valve would hold the gate open until it bled down and you would have terrible spool

Quick Reply: Boost reference location for waste gate.. what is the final answer?