Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo leaking oil on turbine side.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo leaking oil on turbine side.

I have a 88mm turbo on a 5.3, just got it all together, started it up and the turbo is burning oil. I looked under the car and i can see a small amount of oil on turbine side. I ordered a restrictor but its a journal bearing turbo. I have 30 psi of oil pressure at idle. -4 going in to the turbo and -10 out. Am i getting too much oil or a bad seal? And if its a bad seal can i replace it myself or would that take it out of balance? Its a Majestic 88mm (garrett tv) turbo. I also took the return off thinking there was a restriction, but turbo did the samething with it off.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Launching!

I think your looking at a seal issue, but I would think it should take 30 psi. On my powerstroke it see's more than 30 psi and on my supercharger that seal would see 50 psi on my LT1.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lsx74camaro
I have a 88mm turbo on a 5.3, just got it all together, started it up and the turbo is burning oil. I looked under the car and i can see a small amount of oil on turbine side. I ordered a restrictor but its a journal bearing turbo. I have 30 psi of oil pressure at idle. -4 going in to the turbo and -10 out. Am i getting too much oil or a bad seal? And if its a bad seal can i replace it myself or would that take it out of balance? Its a Majestic 88mm (garrett tv) turbo. I also took the return off thinking there was a restriction, but turbo did the samething with it off.
Where is the turbo located? I had to end up using a scavenger pump to pull the oil out of the turbo due to low location.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah post some pics of the turbo location. I am just about ready to start installing my turbo in my 80 Z28 and if i need a pump to remove oil then better to know now then later. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Its located where the stock battery tray was, its about 15 inches above the oil return on the oil pan. The turbo only has idle time on it.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Pics are on my page.

Quick Reply: Turbo leaking oil on turbine side.