Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Derale 16925 guys?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is there anyway to measure anything to see if the fans are running on low or high. I have the stock fan connector triggering one of the derale fans to come on at 190º and the other connector to trigger the other fan at 198º, but with the hood closed I still saw 207º after about 20 minutes of idling after a long warm up drive. Driving around I never saw more than 190º. I'm running a 160º thermostat, a meziere 55gpm EWP and a larger than stock-somewhat vertical griffin radiator and about 50% antifreeze.

I have a SLP manual fan switch but it only turns one fan on and it only operates at 1 speed, no matter if the switch is on high or low.

My tuner want's this fixed before he'll touch it again because he thinks its more than a fan issue. He is using HP tuners so I can't confirm if he's running the fans in series or parallel or even what temps they are triggered. I wish he would use EFI Live, so I can make small changes if needed without having to go back to him, but I guess he can't get it to idle with EFI Live.

Also, what are some reasons for really hot under hood temps? I don't ever remember the stock motor running nearly this hot under the hood, but at the same time, there was never a turbo under the hood. I have everything coated and I wish I would have wrapped them also, but I just think temps are way too hot. Forget about touching anything, its too hot to even hold your hand inside the bay. What are some temps I should be seeing with a temperature gun pointed at the primaries?

This picture is with the old flex-a-lite fans, but it gives you an idea of the layout. The new setup is dual derale pushers in front of the radiator, which is now laid back a little and the tranny cooler is behind the radiator on the passenger side.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrapping and getting a blanket on your turbo would help a lot. I have two of these pushing through an AC condenser and my be cool radiator and I can idle all day long at 180* and don't heat up driving anymore now that I stood my intercooler up. All my hot pipes are wrapped and the turbo is under a blanket. It helps a lot.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any particular blanket thats recommended? Its a turbonetics TC-78. I think most of the heat is coming off the primaries though.

Quick Reply: Derale 16925 guys?