Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

RMCR 50mm Cog Belt Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The belt is over a 1/4 inch away from the water pump. The picture makes it look closer than it is.

The belt is close, but we have not seen it move and I have almost 50 pulls on the dyno and very heavy street driving and it is working fine. We tried several idler combos and did not find one that I liked and still gave the belt wrap on the top pulley we were looking for.

We even ran the belt loose to just see if I could get it to touch and it never did.

This was with a 81 & 28 Combo.

Last edited by MikeRMCR; 10-18-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

@ Ivan ? heather lines ? DO you mean you want a pump with no heater pipes ? Cant you simply plug them ?

@ Mike, the comment about the water pump is slightly irrelevant. I wasnt saying the belt would touch, just that using the pump with the shorter pulley makes a huge difference to clearance and general access in there.
I only did it myself recently after seeing it mentioned in the Aster bracket group buy thing.

The huge bell pulley on the older engines is just stupid.

I guess through testing the belts do not touch, but in the land of the general public...is there a specific tension required to ensure this doesnt happen ?
I only query as any videos Ive seen online of blower engines on a dyno, the long side of the belt orbits wildly during use.

Here is just one example. I'm not knocking your setup in any way. My own is very similar although the blower is placed lower and more to the right. My belt paths also run quite close and whilst they havent made contact, it is still a concern. Although I do have a smooth idler on the outside of the belt to contain orbiting otherwise the belt could hit my boost pipe which sits below it.
Ive only just doubled up my own bracket too to ensure rigidity

This video is on a dyno only, I'd think a manual car like mine on the street would be much harder on a cogged belt. I'm on 85/28

Old 10-18-2012, 03:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
@ Ivan ? heather lines ? DO you mean you want a pump with no heater pipes ? Cant you simply plug them ?

@ Mike, the comment about the water pump is slightly irrelevant. I wasnt saying the belt would touch, just that using the pump with the shorter pulley makes a huge difference to clearance and general access in there.
I only did it myself recently after seeing it mentioned in the Aster bracket group buy thing.

I guess through testing the belts do not touch, but in the land of the general public...is there a specific tension required to ensure this doesnt happen ?
I only query as any videos Ive seen online of blower engines on a dyno, the long side of the belt orbits wildly during use.

Here is just one example. I'm not knocking your setup in any way. My own is very similar although the blower is placed lower and more to the right. My belt paths also run quite close and whilst they havent made contact, it is still a concern. Although I do have a smooth idler on the outside of the belt to contain orbiting otherwise the belt could hit my boost pipe which sits below it.

This video is on a dyno only, I'd think a manual car like mine on the street would be much harder on a cogged belt. I'm on 85/28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuuqT6zJ6FQ
Agreed the bell is dumb on how big it is. This customer did not want to change as he just bought this one. If you are buying a new pump I would hands down buy the LS2 version. The belt is close on the tensioner, but I dont see the kind of movement and deflection the one on the video is using. Could be that the belt is just not as long or that they are running the belt looser than we generally do.

As far as belt tension we run them so if you run a straight edge from the SC pulley to the crank pulley and push inward on the belt that you get 1/4 to 1/2 inch movement.

Sadly there is really only so much we can do. There is only one belt from gates that is even close. The belt jumps in huge increments both smaller and larger from the one we are using.

This was why we had the idlers on it originally. But, after talking with one of Vortechs head engineers, this was part of the problem. He said this supercharger takes almost 90 HP plus to spin at full speed. It takes about 12 teeth contact on the belt to transfer this energy or the belt will break. The old setup was on about 10 teeth with the idlers. With this new setup we are sitting at 16 teeth contact on the SC pulley.

With the larger SC pulleys or a larger crank pulley the distance would be better on the belt, but we have seen no issue with the 81T/ 28T combo we are running.

We are in the process of making a mid engine mounted bracket set up that will be modular and except from the V7 gear case to the new V-24 cases.

Vortech has some new compressors that are flowing over 2000 CFM now and we would like to take advantage of them. I just wanted to get these working right and send new versions to our customers that have already purchased before we started a new project.

Here are some better pics of the brackets.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM
9 Second Club

It doesnt look quite so close in those photos. It's probably very similar to my own.

I'm using the 1600mm long belt, my blower is placed down where the GTO kits would be. Although I'm not using Gates, using an equivalent to their GT3 though.
I did try a cheaper belt after having some alignment problems as I chewed a lot of GT3's and it was getting expensive lol
The cheap belt when alignment was resolved lasted 2 days before stripping all the teeth.
the belt I'm using now is working great though.

I'd like more info on the new blowers. I'd heard a rumour there is to be a new unit that flows substantially more than the YSi, but will fit into the same bracketry. Although the volute will be larger with diff inlet/discharge.

The likes of the XB105 looks fantastic, but that damn gear case is huge and would require all new brackets.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 PM
9 Second Club

Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM
FormerVendor

We are using the gates 1512 length. I too have tried other brands and the gates seem to last the longest.

You are right on the rumor. Vortech does have a new SC coming out that they are calling a F2 killer. It is close to YSi size and will flow 2000+ CFM. Should be available in the spring time. We are going to do a mid mounted setup with a CCW rotation unit.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuuqT6zJ6FQ
Yes I want pump with no heat lines or I can plug them, but I'm not sure for what power level is stock ls1 water pump good for
Old 10-19-2012, 03:32 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeRMCR
We are using the gates 1512 length. I too have tried other brands and the gates seem to last the longest.

You are right on the rumor. Vortech does have a new SC coming out that they are calling a F2 killer. It is close to YSi size and will flow 2000+ CFM. Should be available in the spring time. We are going to do a mid mounted setup with a CCW rotation unit.
I'm actually using a Fenner Torque Drive plus 3 belt, but it is a GT3 equivalent. I just got pissed off with the people who supplied the GT3 locally. Plus as both belts were cut from a sleeve, the Fenner belt was just cut much neater than the GT3.
Pricewise there was little between them though. The GT3 was actually slightly cheaper.

Spring....hmm, I had heard late this year. The sooner the better, as I'd definitely upgrade unless it's a silly price.

Originally Posted by ivan c
Yes I want pump with no heat lines or I can plug them, but I'm not sure for what power level is stock ls1 water pump good for
Ive never heard of people having an issue with either LS1 or LS2 pumps. What sort of power are you hoping to make ?
Maybe the likes of the Evans pumps might be the best, although when I was looking for a shorter pump a while back they didnt have any stock and were having some manufacturing issues so couldnt say when they would have.

Quick Reply: RMCR 50mm Cog Belt Issue