Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SFI 25.3 Outlaw Street '70 Buick GS Build with 1800hp Twin Turbo 455 LSx

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:27 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to your still at it. Keep up with this thread. cant wait to see it finished.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DHR Darren
If you notice, the builders that make the most reliable power always go very large on the IC's. Cool is your friend.
obviously cool is your friend, but that only works if you are feeding the system with cold water! its also dependent on the fuel you are running.

You don't need to run a massive intercooler (like Nelson racing seem to do) to get cold enough temps. Steve Morris engines for example only really use the I3000 cooler (3 Garrett 1000bhp cores) on most of their engines. Most of the billet drag race setups I have seen do not stack the intercooler cores (making the core very thick).

So the questions still stands, why such a large core compered to others?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for posting back up with a quick update!

Couple ?'s for ya:

1 - What does media blasting the entire chassis like that run ya?

2 - I've always loved seing people renderings where did you get that done as i'd like one done on my car when it's closer to being done?
Old 03-31-2015, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chuntington101
obviously cool is your friend, but that only works if you are feeding the system with cold water! its also dependent on the fuel you are running.

You don't need to run a massive intercooler (like Nelson racing seem to do) to get cold enough temps. Steve Morris engines for example only really use the I3000 cooler (3 Garrett 1000bhp cores) on most of their engines. Most of the billet drag race setups I have seen do not stack the intercooler cores (making the core very thick).

So the questions still stands, why such a large core compered to others?
It's not really that massive - using 2 large cores. A drag only application only has to cool the charge for a few seconds and can be pre cooled before the run to have the core super cold. This is a street/strip application so we wanted increased core size to help deal with heat soak on the street. It uses a rear mounted heat exchanger circulating the water on the street similar to the ZL1 and CTS-V setups. When at the track we can bypass the heat exchanger and fill the tank with ice. Core size is irrelevant as long as the pressure drop is within acceptable range IMO.

Last edited by Bent6; 03-31-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TRIXLSXSUPRA
Thanks for posting back up with a quick update!

Couple ?'s for ya:

1 - What does media blasting the entire chassis like that run ya?

2 - I've always loved seing people renderings where did you get that done as i'd like one done on my car when it's closer to being done?
Media blasting inside and out ran around 2k best I remember.

Tavis Highlander at Highlander Concepts Renderings did this one.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bent6
Media blasting inside and out ran around 2k best I remember.

Tavis Highlander at Highlander Concepts Renderings did this one.
Ok seems about on par with prices out here $1-2K might be out of my budget for now.....and thanks i couldn't read the anme too well off the pic keep the updates coming please.....
Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Man that intake's got me all messed up! Never really paid much attention to them before.. Beautiful build, can't wait to see it done!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

You sound like me when I saw that chassis work with the stock floor staying in there. I always wanted to do one that way but had never seen it executed like that. The shock mounts...
Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

GREAT build. So close, get her done! Amazing!!!!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exclamation

It's not really that massive - using 2 large cores. A drag only application only has to cool the charge for a few seconds and can be pre cooled before the run to have the core super cold. This is a street/strip application so we wanted increased core size to help deal with heat soak on the street. It uses a rear mounted heat exchanger circulating the water on the street similar to the ZL1 and CTS-V setups. When at the track we can bypass the heat exchanger and fill the tank with ice. Core size is irrelevant as long as the pressure drop is within acceptable range IMO.
I wasn't putting the engineer or car down! They are both great!

There is one thing about the chargecooler. It will help get the water temps back down to ambiance after a pull on the street. Most people don't realise that most of the heat is actually rejected into the intake air when the throttle is closed. Having a nice large charger cooler helps to reject the heat into the intake air cooling the water down after a run.

Have you got any rough dimensions on the chargecooler size?
Old 04-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Teching In

It's roughly 16 x 14 x 2. The goal is to try to keep the water as close to ambient as possible but it's probably not going to matter that much. The engine made 930hp at only 6-7 lbs boost so it's not like I'm going to be able to turn it up on the street.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

updates?
Old 03-09-2016, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Since I'm entering into the LS world I thought it's time I put my hat in the ring on this site and share my build. I'm a hard core Buick man originally starting out with the old big block iron and later evolving to the Grand Nationals when they hit the scene. This isn't my first rodeo with turbocharging as I've just about done it all over the years with the little V6 and was even fortunate enough to be able to go 7s with a single turbo V6. After kids came along and life got in the way, I began to grow tired of having a track only car so I decided to change directions. I've had this idea in the back of my head for several years and decided to pull the trigger a couple of years ago. While I would have liked to have kept it all Buick, there just isn't enough suitable hardware to go where I wanted to go reliably and without breaking the bank so the decision was made to go LS to the horror of many of my Buick contingents.

To give and idea of where I'm going with this - I've been around since the first days of Fastest Street Car competitions and have seen it evolve from mostly back halved cars running in the 9s to hight 8s to the state it's in now - mostly all out race cars with license plates where you can look through the grill and see the tail lights. Hardly street cars anymore. My goal is to build a REAL OUTLAW STREET car - one that idles smoothly, can actually be driven on the street, has power steering, and A/C but enough HP to change the rotation of the earth. Load the family up, drive it to the track with the A/C blasting, bust off some 7sec time slips, turn the A/C back on and drive it back home. Lofty goals for sure but ones that I think are easily attainable with the LS platform.

The car is a 1970 Buick GS - it WAS a numbers matching car until the previous owner sold the drivetrain and lost interest in the restoration. I picked the car up as a roller. Some may wonder why in the world a big ole Buick - the answer is simple - I'm a Buick guy at the core and this will be something you definitely won't see everyday in an era of mostly cookie cutter cars.

Since ..........

Here's how the car looked when we picked it up.......

The car is currently in the fabrication stages. The chassis is SFI 25.3 which is certified down to 6.50 ets at 3400#s. Overkill but gives us plenty of room to grow if needed......

Cantilever rear suspension with Afco Big Gun Shocks mounted inside trunk....

We have very similar goal's but very different platforms. I'm using the PTE7675 turbo's and not sure they will be enough. Cant wait to see it done. This thing is going to be sick. Love the intake.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:20 AM
9 Second Club

Chassis is a work of art.

Quick Reply: SFI 25.3 Outlaw Street '70 Buick GS Build with 1800hp Twin Turbo 455 LSx