Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question about oil return on rear mount turbos

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Question about oil return on rear mount turbos

I am mounting my turbos on my ****** jeep rite behind the oil pan down low so my question is do i have to have a oil return pump or will the pressure from the incoming oil push the oil back to the pan?
Old 06-24-2012, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rule is as long as the turbo is above the oil level in the pan you can run it without a pump as long as the oil return hose is not going uphill. if you are lower than the oil or have to go upward you have to have a pump
Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bullitt44321
I am mounting my turbos on my ****** jeep rite behind the oil pan down low so my question is do i have to have a oil return pump or will the pressure from the incoming oil push the oil back to the pan?
You don't want to have any oil backing up inside the turbo housing. The oil should be draining out freely. There are only a couple piston ring type seals keeping the oil out of the compressor and turbine housings, so any backup of oil will leak out into the exhaust and intake.

If you can't run a drain at a gentle slope to the pan (above where the oil level is), then you need a scavenge pump to keep the oil from backing up.

Quick Reply: Question about oil return on rear mount turbos