Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Should I run a meth kit??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZNix
I think they are in the 550-600 range. But they are worth it for that price. You run STRAIGHT Methanol through his pump (best cooling effect). No oil additive or anything. If you cannot find meth, you can even use denatured alcohol off the shelf of a hardware store (expensive, but good in a pinch, also little harsher on the pump). I put the kit in myself in only a couple hours (17 year old mechanic here). Somebody on here is using it in their 580HP procharged LS1 on a stock short block.

Nix
I also use alkycontrol with a 100% meth and love it. jeff
Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
No, it's not. It evaporates quicker, so yes, it will give you a lower reading at the IAT sensor, but once it hits the combustion chamber and ignites, it adds to the overall heat in the chamber. Water on the other hand, cools as it evaporates, which is slower at ambient temps, but once it hits the chamber, pulls out considerably more heat, and since it doesn't ignite, it doesn't add anymore heat back into the piston/chamber like methanol does.

Does methanol make more power, YES, but it also adds more heat. On a stock shortblock, the pistons and rings can't handle the extra heat, remember horsepower is directly related to heat. More power, more heat.

Here's a chart showing the difference between how much heat the methanol absorbs versus water...

100% Water is on the left, 100% meoh is on the right.

I'm not opposed at all to running 100% meoh because you will make more power than mixing in water with it, but if you're after a cooling effect, 50/50 is what I would (and will) run.

Remember, knock is also very sensitive to heat, hence why we run cooler plugs.
I stand corrected. I can see where this would be an issue on a car not designed for FI. Buicks don't have this issues, so straight Meth has been great for the IAT reduction, and octane increase so we can run WAY more boost than stock. I myself am running just over 26PSI of boost on a stock short block, while others have seen 30+.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

No, it's not. It evaporates quicker, so yes, it will give you a lower reading at the IAT sensor, but once it hits the combustion chamber and ignites, it adds to the overall heat in the chamber. Water on the other hand, cools as it evaporates, which is slower at ambient temps, but once it hits the chamber, pulls out considerably more heat, and since it doesn't ignite, it doesn't add anymore heat back into the piston/chamber like methanol does.

Does methanol make more power, YES, but it also adds more heat. On a stock shortblock, the pistons and rings can't handle the extra heat, remember horsepower is directly related to heat. More power, more heat.

Here's a chart showing the difference between how much heat the methanol absorbs versus water...

100% Water is on the left, 100% meoh is on the right.

I'm not opposed at all to running 100% meoh because you will make more power than mixing in water with it, but if you're after a cooling effect, 50/50 is what I would (and will) run.

Remember, knock is also very sensitive to heat, hence why we run cooler plugs.
Interesting. Exactly what I was thinking because ultimately my IAT are fine, its the combustion temps i was concerned about.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I stand corrected. I can see where this would be an issue on a car not designed for FI. Buicks don't have this issues, so straight Meth has been great for the IAT reduction, and octane increase so we can run WAY more boost than stock. I myself am running just over 26PSI of boost on a stock short block, while others have seen 30+.

I agree 100% with you. On a motor built to see boost, the rings and bearings have tolerances designed to handle the higher heat seen from a forced induction setup, so running 100% methanol is fine. But on a stock ls1, with rings gapped as tight as 0.009" (mine were between 0.010 and 0.012") high heat from forced induction is a recipe for disaster. The water helps to keep the chamber temps a little friendlier.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

I think they are in the 550-600 range. But they are worth it for that price. You run STRAIGHT Methanol through his pump (best cooling effect). No oil additive or anything. If you cannot find meth, you can even use denatured alcohol off the shelf of a hardware store (expensive, but good in a pinch, also little harsher on the pump). I put the kit in myself in only a couple hours (17 year old mechanic here). Somebody on here is using it in their 580HP procharged LS1 on a stock short block.

Nix
that would be me ...alky control i run 100% meth and im on bone stock motor .....575 rwhp 535 #ft tq
Old 07-01-2012, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

I agree 100% with you. On a motor built to see boost, the rings and bearings have tolerances designed to handle the higher heat seen from a forced induction setup, so running 100% methanol is fine. But on a stock ls1, with rings gapped as tight as 0.009" (mine were between 0.010 and 0.012") high heat from forced induction is a recipe for disaster. The water helps to keep the chamber temps a little friendlier.
I understand now. Makes sense. The people who put the 4.8 on boost and hit 1200 HP widened the gap for that reason I assume. Thanks for schooling me.

Nix
Old 07-01-2012, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02gangsta/ss
that would be me ...alky control i run 100% meth and im on bone stock motor .....575 rwhp 535 #ft tq
Yes it was you haha.

Nix
Old 08-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Teching In

so would a 50/50 mix be the best or would something like a 75/25 be better im looking to make the most power but the longevity of my stock short block is more important

and will this help making more power above 600 since i guess that's the reason most stock motors let go
Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tbss23sfv
so would a 50/50 mix be the best or would something like a 75/25 be better im looking to make the most power but the longevity of my stock short block is more important

and will this help making more power above 600 since i guess that's the reason most stock motors let go

I run 75/25 meth/water by volume. Stock short block beat the **** out of it daily since December. I run two 10gph nozzles.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alky control kit here, but soon ill be running e85 so it should not matter. ill have a seperate 93 octane tune that i will activate the methanol 49/51 (boost juice) in the event i want to drive out of town and cant find any E and still be able to have some fun without fear of temps. IMO the aquamist sounds like the way to go these days per alchemists lessons and research.

Quick Reply: Should I run a meth kit??