Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

76mm/pump gas tuning help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a Nissan 240sx. stock rear independent suspension. 3.54 gears 26x10.5 et drag slicks. The class is a stock suspension only and I've got the biggest rear tire I can fit. I launch at 3800 off 2 step anywere from 15-20lbs boost off the line. if I try launching any harder its blowing tires off.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sleeper101
Its a Nissan 240sx. stock rear independent suspension. 3.54 gears 26x10.5 et drag slicks. The class is a stock suspension only and I've got the biggest rear tire I can fit. I launch at 3800 off 2 step anywere from 15-20lbs boost off the line. if I try launching any harder its blowing tires off.
It sounds like you got a pretty well rounded out setup. If it were me- I would be looking at some sort of way of getting a cooler charge and/or a more effecent turbo.... But I dont know my butt from a hole in the ground
Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Add some good fuel and up the boost 3-4psi along with getting the power in sooner. If some suspension tuning is needed to do that, do it, as it will help knock the e.t. down.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what you guys talking about 93 is the good stuff! I run 87 in my boosted car
Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Lol that's called budget racing right there lmao!!

I'm gonna go to dyno soon and retune on some good gas and see were everything is at.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
what you guys talking about 93 is the good stuff! I run 87 in my boosted car
Don't give them any ideas Brandon LOL.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So do you use race fuel and tune very conservatively then ? Or do you try and push hard with race fuel too ?
I'm sure people have blown engines on race fuel ?

I really dont see much difference

I assume people tune their cars to push as far as they can afford with their setup. I dont see much wrong with pump fuel as long as some common sense is used.

But in this instance, 20psi with 9:1 and 18deg of timing on pump does sound very risky. Although if no knock can be heard and EGT's remain ok, then there really isnt much wrong with it.
I take all variables into consideration and tune accordingly. At times I reach the point where I would not push it further if it was my own car. At that point I leave it up to the owner of the car, explaining how I feel about the current state of tune and the risks involved in pushing it further.

I'm far more comfortable with getting aggressive with race fuel than pump fuel. In my experience, much more forgiving.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 AM
On The Tree

Here is a video of me testing few weeks ago. Car went lean cause I sucked fuel bowls dry. I fixed that issue. not my fastest pass by far. but an idea of how it launches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaoV...e_gdata_player
Old 07-07-2012, 03:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I take all variables into consideration and tune accordingly. At times I reach the point where I would not push it further if it was my own car. At that point I leave it up to the owner of the car, explaining how I feel about the current state of tune and the risks involved in pushing it further.

I'm far more comfortable with getting aggressive with race fuel than pump fuel. In my experience, much more forgiving.
I certainly wont argue that it is more forgiving. But cheaper alternatives are adding methanol to the fuel, octane boosters ( less so ), water/meth injection, running a lower CR to start with etc etc

There are many ways to allow more power to be made safely up top. Race fuel is just something Ive never been drawn too, largely given the price ( here it's around 5x the price of pump fuel )

So I dont actually know is it really worth it ?

Using the OP's car as an example. Over straight 93 pump, what sort of gains would there be switching to say 106 or 109 fuel, or indeed right up to 116 ?

Yes it will allow more safety, but will it also yield decent power gains too ? Genuine question, as Ive never used the stuff.

From the outset I just build on the basis I will only be using pump fuel, + water/meth when racing conditions permit. ie at a proper drag strip where there will be traction.
At local airfield events or on the road it's just pointless as traction is non existent even on pump.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sleeper101
Here is a video of me testing few weeks ago. Car went lean cause I sucked fuel bowls dry. I fixed that issue. not my fastest pass by far. but an idea of how it launches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaoV...e_gdata_player
Leaves pretty good.

It looks like it is squatting though and when a cars suspension squats it actually picks the tire up off the ground where as if it separates it's pushing the tire into the ground and the body of the car away from the ground.

That may be why when you really try to turn it up it spins.

If you can't seem to add any more boost to the launch, you can try adding a degree or degree and a half of timing in the rpm's you see on launch and up to the rpm your converter flashes and begins to couple and really pull the car down track.

It is IRS correct?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Yes its IRS and when it squats it plants more tire cause it takes what little camber it has out. I been playing with weight and launch rpm. I've got top mph in the class by 5-10mph but the nitrous cars leave so hard I gotta run them down.

I feel like it leaves good enough. just needs little more pull for when it does launch. its also hard to get the power down on a track that's 170 degrees also. there is a lot of tricks I'm still learning.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I certainly wont argue that it is more forgiving. But cheaper alternatives are adding methanol to the fuel, octane boosters ( less so ), water/meth injection, running a lower CR to start with etc etc

There are many ways to allow more power to be made safely up top. Race fuel is just something Ive never been drawn too, largely given the price ( here it's around 5x the price of pump fuel )

So I dont actually know is it really worth it ?

Using the OP's car as an example. Over straight 93 pump, what sort of gains would there be switching to say 106 or 109 fuel, or indeed right up to 116 ?

Yes it will allow more safety, but will it also yield decent power gains too ? Genuine question, as Ive never used the stuff.

From the outset I just build on the basis I will only be using pump fuel, + water/meth when racing conditions permit. ie at a proper drag strip where there will be traction.
At local airfield events or on the road it's just pointless as traction is non existent even on pump.
Their are cheaper alternatives, which I don't believe to be as safe. If it saves me the expense and aggravation of damaging an engine, I think it's absolutely worth it.

Realizing obviously that meth works when it works, I don't like to put all my faith in a system that if it runs out or fails to work, simultaneously removes all the octane/cooling and a good amount of fuel enrichment. I've seen on the forums many examples of engines lost due to meth failure, or simply running out of meth. IMO in comparison, a relatively small number of people suffer the same type of catastrophic damage on race fuel.

To be used for cooling alone, I'm completely fine with that. For it to be a crutch to the fueling system and/or the only source of additional octane, I myself do not tune like that.

In the OP's example, I'm honestly surprised that it isn't broken yet with 20psi/18deg/93 octane. Maybe the weight of the car and 1/8 mile runs has helped keep it together.

Race fuel will allow for more timing at a given boost level, or more boost altogether before running into detonation, so I would say it definitely has more horsepower potential. On milder supercharged combinations I've seen an increase of 50+hp at the same boost level just because of how much more timing it would take before registering any knock. No back to back comparisons at higher HP levels as I refuse to push the limits of pump fuel.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

I've seen a bunch of cars loose a race locally cause there meth system failed. I do like the insurance factor of race gas. I will have the single plane intake here Tom.

Quick Reply: 76mm/pump gas tuning help