Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

To boost or not to boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HRHohio
I thought about this for a long time... just sold the SBC 350 that was in there for cheap, just to get it out. Going to keep the TH350 though. Oh, and I'm going to go single turbo too, not twin like the article... gotta save some room for the AC Compressor, somehow... lol
Yah I will do single front mount also. I have been pricing stuff out the last couple days and im loving what im seeing. Found a local 6.0 for 900, might just go and pick it up this week. Im still undecided on what to use for a trany, I was thinking a built th400, knowing it would be atleast strong enough for the boost a stock engine can take. But my ideal situation would be to put a 4l80 in there and have overdrive for those cruise nights
Old 08-25-2012, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 78T/a
Ebay turbos, are people have luck with these??
Some on them. The ones people are doing well with are the 67mm gt45 or any of the on3 turbos.

You do need to be careful when getting ebay turbos as some vendora will call anything just about anything to sell them so look into a reputable vendor.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cronic_Moronic
Some on them. The ones people are doing well with are the 67mm gt45 or any of the on3 turbos.

You do need to be careful when getting ebay turbos as some vendora will call anything just about anything to sell them so look into a reputable vendor.
I'm running the On3 Performance 76mm Ball Bearing turbo. It's done me well, as well as others, and is very affordable (ebay). If I did it all over again, I would have gone with the 70mm journal bearing in my rear mount (cheaper, smaller/faster spool). Thinking of getting it and putting my 76mm on my front mount 72 Camaro Project. Because they're so cheap (compared to big name brands), you change them out like you change your socks!

Like Cronic says, you need to check and compare the Inducer/Exducer sizes to actually compare turbos. Generally the numbers 70 or 76 should refer to the compressor's inducer size in mm. BUT... I bought a "Super T70" turbo from dnaMotoring on Ebay (back when I was a newbie to the turbo scene), and it turns out the inducer was not 70mm... in fact it's 56.2mm !!! I may throw it on my rear mount just to see how fast it will spool. Hahaha.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cronic_Moronic

Thanks for the tip, prolly a mistake i would of made
Old 08-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HRHohio
I'm running the On3 Performance 76mm Ball Bearing turbo. It's done me well, as well as others, and is very affordable (ebay). If I did it all over again, I would have gone with the 70mm journal bearing in my rear mount (cheaper, smaller/faster spool). Thinking of getting it and putting my 76mm on my front mount 72 Camaro Project. Because they're so cheap (compared to big name brands), you change them out like you change your socks!

Like Cronic says, you need to check and compare the Inducer/Exducer sizes to actually compare turbos. Generally the numbers 70 or 76 should refer to the compressor's inducer size in mm. BUT... I bought a "Super T70" turbo from dnaMotoring on Ebay (back when I was a newbie to the turbo scene), and it turns out the inducer was not 70mm... in fact it's 56.2mm !!! I may throw it on my rear mount just to see how fast it will spool. Hahaha.
well I will make sure to look at the on3 stuff. yah i was on ebay and just seeing the prices of some of the turbo's had me thinking its almost worth to get twohehe. For some reason I think I would always be worried about it though, I just wonder what the difference in assembly and quality of materials used compared to a brand name big $$ one.

You know I would most likely make a mistake like that, but thats why I love these forums always great tips and tricks to help a project go much smoother
Old 08-26-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I'll mention something that I don't believe anyone else has: Make sure you also keep in mind and budget for the other components needed for the Ls swap. Unless you buy a used wiring harness and computer and modify the harness yourself, those will run you about $750 big ones. That's what I paid for mine from PSI Conversion. You'll also need electronic gauges to work with the Ls. All of those gauges add to the price of the swap REAL QUICK.
Now, back on topic. I've heard nothing but good things about the on3performance turbos. I was planning on using one myself until I decided to start building for a TVS2300. Also, keep an eye out on CL and talk to some locals who may be able to help finding an Ls. Just 2 weeks ago I got an iron 6.0 for $50 from my Gpa's buddy who picks up and sells junk and scrap metal. He said he runs into these things more often than one would think.

Brandyn

Quick Reply: To boost or not to boost