Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

To boost or not to boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To boost or not to boost

Hey Everyone

So I have a 78 trans am, and its time to ditch the old pontiac 400 thats in there. Works good, makes good torque, but it could use a rebuild and I dont think I want to play with the old school stuff anymore. And I just cant deny the fact that I seriously would love some LS power in my 78 Trans Am.

So that leads me to my question of which direction is the best way to go

Option 1

-Junkyard 4.8
-Turbo set-up

Option 2

-Build a N/A 5.7 or 6.0
-New internals

If I had to set a goal for the project, I want 500whp that is livable on the street. Im not sure which one will cost more, which may end up being a determining factor for me. I have never got into any serious mods with LS stuff so im hoping you guys can help point me in the right direction

Thanks
Mike
Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not a junkyard 6.0 turbo setup!!!!

be sure and read the sticky to be sure this is the route you wanna go before you begin making any kind of purchase. It can help you when deciding these things.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html
Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

500 hp that is livable on the street is a stretch for a n/a ls engine that isn't a 400+ ci engine.

Building a turbo JY engine is much cheaper than a rebuild with a stroker crank, new rods, pistons, cam and heads that will flow 500 hp of air.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Teching In

boost with a manual 600-700 hp totally street able good Mpg if you stay with efi
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cronic_Moronic
500 hp that is livable on the street is a stretch for a n/a ls engine that isn't a 400+ ci engine.

Building a turbo JY engine is much cheaper than a rebuild with a stroker crank, new rods, pistons, cam and heads that will flow 500 hp of air.

This is what i was kind of thinking. And I had already been looking at the 400+ ci engine kits and prices sure get up there quick. Id love to be able to build a 400+ engine plus some FI but I was thinking to start with a cheap JY engine and put the money into building a solid turbo set-up, then its just a matter of swapping in a better engine down the road.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote option 1!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
why not a junkyard 6.0 turbo setup!!!!

be sure and read the sticky to be sure this is the route you wanna go before you begin making any kind of purchase. It can help you when deciding these things.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html
Haha if one comes up for the right price, id defenetly do a 6.0 build

Ill definitely have to sit down with a beer tonight and read that sticky
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WSSICK99
boost with a manual 600-700 hp totally street able good Mpg if you stay with efi
Dont tempt me lol
Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Leave your TA as it is and buy a used 98-2002 with a power adder for about the same amount of dollars as it will cost to purchase all of the goodies you will need to upgrade your 78 to 500 rwhp.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Build the 400... Put a Butler stroker kit in it, Ported Edelbrock round port heads, a nice custom hyd roller, make an honest 600 crank hp, run high 10s and drive it anywhere...

DONE...

/Thread...

LOL...

OR.... do the turbo JY LS thing like everyone else and their brother is doing....Make more power and cheaper...Wait for the **** to , then get another JY motor, rince and repeat....

BTW... I grew up in a 78 Trans Am(owned it 9 years) and love them dearly..... I would love to do another one in the future..... My old one ran 11.90s back in the mid 90's with a 400", #16 heads and Ultra Dyne flat tappet and I drove it daily for years.. There was no real aftermarket for Pontiac stuff then, but there damn sure is now.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

5.3 would be cheaper to find then 4.8/6.0
Old 08-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Leave your TA as it is and buy a used 98-2002 with a power adder for about the same amount of dollars as it will cost to purchase all of the goodies you will need to upgrade your 78 to 500 rwhp.
Yes I would love to a newer TA also, but I currently have two car on the go, and the wife is already at her wits. I just bought a 1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD so
maybe when im done playing with that, sell it to fund a newer TA
Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Build the 400... Put a Butler stroker kit in it, Ported Edelbrock round port heads, a nice custom hyd roller, make an honest 600 crank hp, run high 10s and drive it anywhere...

DONE...

/Thread...

LOL...

OR.... do the turbo JY LS thing like everyone else and their brother is doing....Make more power and cheaper...Wait for the **** to , then get another JY motor, rince and repeat....

BTW... I grew up in a 78 Trans Am(owned it 9 years) and love them dearly..... I would love to do another one in the future..... My old one ran 11.90s back in the mid 90's with a 400", #16 heads and Ultra Dyne flat tappet and I drove it daily for years.. There was no real aftermarket for Pontiac stuff then, but there damn sure is now.
Well its funny you say all this, some of you may shoot me when I say this, but I currently have a fresh 600hp 455 sitting in my garage right now But there is a story behind my madness. To keep it short, I need to do some body and frame work in the rear section of the car, and in order to fund it all, I am forced to sell this engine. I have an offer from a local guy who wants to do the work in trade for the engine plus some cash to me, so really no money comes from my side to get the work done, which all seems like a fair deal. Knowing I would eventually need a new engine again is what brought into the realm of LS stuff. Your right that Pontiac engines can make amazing N/A hp and monster torque these days, but the **** is damn expensive to build.

I realize the JY boosted stuff is becoming almost a cookie cutter solution to going fast on a budget these days, but I can understand why its so appealing. Ive been back and forth for the past year with which direction I want to take the car, with still no decision made, becuase either option both have equal pro/cons. Problem is I need to make a decision sooner then later as the guy who wants the motor wants it soon.

Last edited by 78T/a; 08-24-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just picked up a 72 Camaro. I'm doing a 5.3 JY Turbo. Using the "Hot Rod Magazine Big Bang Theory" article as my inspiration/guide. I love my turbo setup on my 2002 Camaro. Can't ever see myself going straight N/A again in a performance car. But that's just me.

Wish you the best. We may need to stay in touch and swap notes! LOL Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, i am doing a single turbo setup on my 80 Z28 right now. 5.3L JY motor. Starting small with a GT45 ebay turbo. Have the hp tuners already and my fuel system was setup already. Gonna do some more hotside pipe welding likely today. Last week i put in a Futral F13-114 cam and some Brian Tooley springs and pushrods. I have a set of 80 lb injectors still to go in once the turbo is mounted then some tuning. Oh, and a 4L80E trans. All that crap and it is still far less than i spent on the 383 stroker motor i built about seven years ago. Still not running with the turbo on yet though but hopefully will be on within the next week or so. The engine sounds great with the new cam.
I guess i am saying go for the whatever LS engine you can get your hands on and turbo it.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When my roller dies, I'm switching my power train to a 2nd gen. I've had 78 and 79 firebirds and my favorite was an 81 Z28.

I vote stock 6.0 + a cheap BW 80+mm T6 to get you started on low boost (600 rwhp). Then you can forge it and turn it up (1100+). You'll have soooooooo much room under that hood once you get the LS motor in there. Shouldn't require much in the way fabrication.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HRHohio
I just picked up a 72 Camaro. I'm doing a 5.3 JY Turbo. Using the "Hot Rod Magazine Big Bang Theory" article as my inspiration/guide. I love my turbo setup on my 2002 Camaro. Can't ever see myself going straight N/A again in a performance car. But that's just me.

Wish you the best. We may need to stay in touch and swap notes! LOL Good luck in whatever you decide.
Yah Ive seen that article also, big part of why i am interested in doing this. Yah my little turbo talon is what really sold me on the idea, its stock but still a lot of fun. Ive never actually been in a turbo'd v8, a lot of superchargers around here, so other then my buddies 40psi 600awhp, thats the fastest turbo car ive been in, but it wouldnt make anywhere near the torque of a v8 so thats what im looking forward too
Old 08-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSZ
Yeah, i am doing a single turbo setup on my 80 Z28 right now. 5.3L JY motor. Starting small with a GT45 ebay turbo. Have the hp tuners already and my fuel system was setup already. Gonna do some more hotside pipe welding likely today. Last week i put in a Futral F13-114 cam and some Brian Tooley springs and pushrods. I have a set of 80 lb injectors still to go in once the turbo is mounted then some tuning. Oh, and a 4L80E trans. All that crap and it is still far less than i spent on the 383 stroker motor i built about seven years ago. Still not running with the turbo on yet though but hopefully will be on within the next week or so. The engine sounds great with the new cam.
I guess i am saying go for the whatever LS engine you can get your hands on and turbo it.
I will most likely take the same route, I would spend the dollars on the important things, but leave room for upgrades as the money comes. Yah its crazy how building a strong N/a motor is almost becomming the more expensive option

Ebay turbos, are people have luck with these??
Old 08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I vote stock 6.0 + a cheap BW 80+mm T6 to get you started on low boost (600 rwhp). Then you can forge it and turn it up (1100+).
See this is why its hard to not want into this game. Just a cheap low boost set-up for a nice 600rwhp driver. Sounds like a hell of a good time

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
You'll have soooooooo much room under that hood once you get the LS motor in there. Shouldn't require much in the way fabrication.
Thats another thing, there is tons of space so fabrication becomes very simple. Looking under the hood of a 4th gen id almost be discouraged to even attempt it.

Ive looked at the front mount kits for the trucks and Im wondering if I could make one of those work on my car http://www.trickperformanceproducts...._frontpage.htm
Old 08-24-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 78T/a
See this is why its hard to not want into this game. Just a cheap low boost set-up for a nice 600rwhp driver. Sounds like a hell of a good time Exactly!!! My friend has blown 3 "built" engines so far trying to get things right...(none of which were JY 4.8 or 5.3's). At 2-4K per setup.. that gets expensive. Blow a JY and you're out $650. Pull the blown motor out, adjust tune, drop an new one in, and do it again. 3 JY's for the price of 1 built forged motor!

Thats another thing, there is tons of space so fabrication becomes very simple. Looking under the hood of a 4th gen id almost be discouraged to even attempt it.

That's why I went rear mount with my 4th gen. I didn't want to tear up the engine compartment AND I get to keep AC! Nice out here in the desert! My 72 is also factory air, so I'm going to try to figure that all out... how to keep it AC'd.

Ive looked at the front mount kits for the trucks and Im wondering if I could make one of those work on my car http://www.trickperformanceproducts...._frontpage.htm

My friend is demodding his 2003 Sierra (got orders to Germany... not mod friendly). I just can't see paying that much for what you get. I feel like I can take it to Chapo's Muffler Shop (That's is actually his name) for a day and come out with a custom setup for less.
I thought about this for a long time... just sold the SBC 350 that was in there for cheap, just to get it out. Going to keep the TH350 though. Oh, and I'm going to go single turbo too, not twin like the article... gotta save some room for the AC Compressor, somehow... lol

Quick Reply: To boost or not to boost