Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

6.0L Turbo build plan: Costs added up

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Calypso
Maybe...I'm not quite that far along yet though, need to get my longblock built first and see how much $$ is left. Haven't decided on single vs twin yet either. Opinions? 100% street car.

Single. Turbo technology and wheels have come such a long way that the point of twins is no longer needed.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

ls9 head gaskets can be had for about 40ish a piece, thats too much

you can get good lifters for like 60-90 dollars too that seems too much

ill pm you in a second for some other stuff, give you links and what not for the wastegates and things
Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by denmah
ls9 head gaskets can be had for about 40ish a piece, thats too much

you can get good lifters for like 60-90 dollars too that seems too much

ill pm you in a second for some other stuff, give you links and what not for the wastegates and things
Awesome, i appreciate it man! Thanks for all the help and advice!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
9 Second Club

and dont be a moron: put a quality name brand wastegate on the car, not a knock-off. Want to find out the quickest way to kill a turbo/motor? try having a wastegate fail or improperly work on ya.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM

tens of thousands of miles on cheapo wastegates, holds boost solid, works great.

ive used we have used 7 of them in 6 builds. no problems.

they come with 3-4 springs each and you can mix and match them, or use tial springs.

they dont leak, they dont spike, they dont fail, they dont fatigue.

i dont talk **** on tial wastegates so no reason to tell the man a good chinese wastegate will not work properly
Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 AM
9 Second Club

tens of thousands of miles on cheapo wastegates, holds boost solid, works great.

ive used we have used 7 of them in 6 builds. no problems.

they come with 3-4 springs each and you can mix and match them, or use tial springs.

they dont leak, they dont spike, they dont fail, they dont fatigue.

i dont talk **** on tial wastegates so no reason to tell the man a good chinese wastegate will not work properly

I've used one of them...and it failed. That was enough for me. Don't be a moron. It only takes once with a wastegate to ruin your turbo and/or motor. I dont mind being a cheapass when it comes to a BOV, but why **** around with an ENTIRE motor and or turbo to save $150? Seems pretty crazy to me. Did i say he had to get a Tial? While their stuff is top of the line, there are plenty of other options out there as well without putting a inferior product on the car .

saying ANY aftermarket product doesn't fail, leak, or fatigue is a tell all on your thoughts on the matter.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 AM

so how did it blow your motor, did you not have any boost cut or something and you hit 45lbs and knocked a cyl?

i am assuming it didnt open or something like that.

i thrash the living **** out of my car and i dont have problems with these products, i dont know what else to tell you

if my 730 youtube videos of me doing so isnt proof enough i can settle that you think i am a liar lol
Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ls1 intake and fuel rails cost about 150 not sure why you would pay 3**. Buy stuff used on CL OR for sale section. Nice Camaro btw
Old 08-29-2012, 10:29 AM
9 Second Club

You know, come to think of it, to recommend someone to buy a product that is a blatant knockoff of a product R&D here in the US and then copied overseas(and poorly copied at that) really irritates me.

Now, again, this is a description of a BOV, but you get the idea on the "quality" you get from these cheapass poorly created pieces of junk and what to expect from a wastegate. I'm glad you have gotten LUCKY on your current builds, but i still would call you an idiot for running one. I really hate to even see the cheap-*** BOV's because of what you are about to see below, but you want to take that calculated risk...so be it! I'll close my argument not to de-rail the OP's thread with the two below for evidence....

http://youtu.be/ZlpuTHlIkKQ

Originally Posted by TiAL
An individual had contacted me via email stating that his 'TiAL' bov had broken and pieces got into his intake and almost made it to the engine, one piece wedged itself in between the manifold and an intake valve, causing damage to the seat requiring him to replace the manifold/have machine work done...the images he sent me were not the best and it did look real from the blurry images - but when he stopped by the shop (local guy) it was obvious what it was...this failure could have been especially catastrophic for 2 valve V8 guys with much larger intake valves

Here are images i took after he had dropped it off

Old 08-29-2012, 10:30 AM
9 Second Club

so how did it blow your motor, did you not have any boost cut or something and you hit 45lbs and knocked a cyl?

i thrash the living **** out of my car and i dont have problems with these products, i dont know what else to tell you

if my 730 youtube videos of me doing so isnt proof enough i can settle that you think i am a liar lol

First it wouldnt seal(just like the youtube link posted where Tial tested one). Finally got one that sealed, sent the car to the dyno...and it sealed a little too well.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
9 Second Club

Did i call you a liar? Nope, again, you're jumping to conclusions. I just said you are an idiot for using them.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:08 AM

everyone can use whatever parts they want to. i don't mind.

the man posted what he was paying for all his parts and wanted some cost reduction options.

i posted them.

understandably you have some animosity towards this stuff, im sorry for your loss.

i always check these wasgates with a compressor and regulator for smooth operation and i always install the lightest spring usually a 3lb spring and i test them out at very low throttle openings and tune the car as i go.

as i would do the same thing with a tial, JGS, HKS, i wouldnt trust them to pound open at 19lbs at the cost of my motor either. so those are not steps i only take on a cheap shitty gate.

if one was hanging up like yours i would have not used it, since i have never run into that.

am i lucky? probably
am i an idiot for using cheap parts? probably
have i built a handful of 10 second cars this year? absolutely
have i done it under 5k car included? absolutely

do i think you made a big mistake using a sticky wastegate and dropping it off with a tuner hoping it would work ok, without testing it more? absolutely.

but still dont think you are an idiot, i think you are smarter now that you learned from that mistake, and i hope you test your big dollar stuff just as much as you would this cheap **** now (well probably not since you drew a line in the sand so to say against cheap stuff)

also consider we are all capable of making stupid mistakes and breaking expensive parts as a result of human error.

i want to learn on my own more than anything, and i just cant spend Tial and garrett prices on my projects.

sincerely
ls1techs idiot.

ps sorry to put words in your mouth, jumping to conclusions, and building bitchin turbo cars on the cheap.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
Ls1 intake and fuel rails cost about 150 not sure why you would pay 3**. Buy stuff used on CL OR for sale section. Nice Camaro btw
If you find a good LS1 intake with rails for that price, send me the link immediately! I can't find one even close to that.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 AM

maybe make a WTB thread, and someone will be parting out and contact you.

just a suggestion
Old 08-29-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lancaster CA. $80 ls1 intake manifold

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...220673676.html
edit ; I also found ls9 head gaskets for $39 each plus shipping
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

Last edited by alexcoreas; 08-29-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
Lancaster CA. $80 ls1 intake manifold

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...220673676.html
Cool, email sent to that guy. Man I should be searching CA craigslist instead of minneapolis. People here think all their parts are worth their weight in gold.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell no if you don't live here in Cali and you can't see the product, don't buy it. You might get ripped off. I only trust Craigslist for local pick up.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I threw my ls1 intake in the trash. The only one worth paying $300 for is a ls6 intake.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel rails
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-classifieds/1578436-ls1-ls6-2002-camaro-fuel-rail.html
Old 08-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
I threw my ls1 intake in the trash. The only one worth paying $300 for is a ls6 intake.
Don't Quote me on this but i think when its forced induction there is no difference between stock intakes except the ls2 one which is 90mm TB.

I'm here to learn and by far thats what i gathered correct me if im wrong

Quick Reply: 6.0L Turbo build plan: Costs added up