Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how did this turbo launch happen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default how did this turbo launch happen?

i dont hear any electronics kicking in... just sounds like he revs it up higher and higher.. have anything to do with the transmission?

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/Mov...heelie%202.mov

just askin cuz i myself need a 1.3 short time on the rear tires.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like he just revs it higher and higher while holding the brake.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably has more to do with the fact that he has 500 more rwhp than you, and probably weighs 500 lbs less. Seriously, that and he lets the boost build way up before he launches (transbrake).

Shawn
Old 04-06-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He's running a transbrake, so before he is totally staged he doesn't feed it full throttle to keep the motor from making a ton of boost right there and heating everything up.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep thats Anthony Dickson, he's a local here in Alb,NM. 331ci Big HP turbo kit, Glide,stall and a trans brake. That car is awesome. He is outclasing stangs that have a lot more thrown into them.
He just went 7.99@176 at LV. Here is his latest post on RSW.

" Hey everyone, THANKS!!!!!! Normaly I can thank each of you individually for your congrats, but this time it looks like half the town congratulated me!! Except Keenan of course. I checked his progress all day yesterday so I could congratulate him, oh-well. I do need to thank my sponsors: HP Performance, Budlong Racing Engines,Dyno Edge, Casey Hammonds, John Urist (for getting me my new turbo and letting me take 1 of his as a spare, and Jesus Christ. Also my pit crew: Kim, Jesse Cordova, Angel, Lightweight(Chris),Ralph, Jimmy and Nathan from HP. Now, let me tell you about the weekend! We showed up only to run in a bracket class to tune the suspension. The main dude from PSCA told me no way! "that car HAS to be in one of my heads up classes!" "put the thing in Heavy Street with that little tire and motor, win the class and start a fire!" So, we did enter. Went 8.00@175.8 right off the trailer. People started coming around our pits then! We thought for shure a 7 sec. was next, nope, 8.03! Then we started hearing talk about us. Went out for first round qualifing and went 7.999@176.6!!!! Now my competitors are sending thier spies!!! Only one other car went sevens and I hear he wasnt consistant. The other cars were 8.28 and slower. Went 8.04&8.03 next. Sound like a bracket car yet? I think at this point my rivals started thinking of ways to get me disqualified, because once I went a few rounds the crap hit the fan. Before the semi-finals two teams brought up the point I didnt weigh after one or more of my passes, which was true, because the PSCA guy never told me to. How was I supposed to brush up on the rules when I didnt even know about the class till I was at the gate to get in? Any way, PSCA decided to let the race continue as long as my next competitor was cool, he was, felt bad putting him on the trailer. When I got to the scales EVERY team that I faced next was there!!!! Including all PSCA staff. They took my car apart looking for a reason to kick me out, Sorry, the car not only met weight, it was 90lbs. OVER WEIGHT!!!! (3,309lbs.) Plus did I mention I just went 7.990@176.6 with that weight?? FOR THE SECOND TIME? Well I did! So, next round Im against this 600" two stage NOS Nova with BIGGGG tires. He secretly hooked up a third stage for me! He had alredy gone 8.28 on two so..... I did my own thing while he tried to burn me down playing staging games, etc. I cut an .113 light and his little staging games as he put it "back fired on me!" and he red lit! Too bad cause I wanted to race fair.I left out one by run there and also a .013 light on the 7.990 pass. I also had to give the Nova my hazzards at the top end!!! When it was all done the guys who were fighting w/ us came over and congratulated us, great ending to a fairytail weekend dont you think? To top it off I took my whole crew out in a Limousine to dinner and entertainment with PSCA's money to reward them!!! Thanks PSCA!! P.S. I do hope Keenan sorts his car out soon, I hate when I see a fellow racer struggle, I know his car will take the title back sooner or later, for now I hope its later! J/K!!!! DICKSON "

The company that makes his turbo kits are releasing their LS1 F-body kits this month...hopefully
J
Old 04-06-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

SWEET! Another turbo kit for the LS1!
Old 04-06-2004, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hehe Yup, he was trapping faster than Urist in LV

I don't think anybody really knows what he is putting down as far as power goes. He pegs the dynojet.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Would that be that PTK kit?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nope this is the HP turbo kit. These guys are based here in Roswell, NM. Its about a 194mi drive to their shop from Albuquerque
Heres a link to that page http://www.turbochargedpower.com
and the page that says a little something about the LS1 kit
http://www.turbochargedpower.com/HP%20News.htm
J
Old 04-06-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice

I told me self when I was first getting into F.I. that I didn't have enough $ for a turbo setup, now that I've been tinkering around so much trying different pulley setups, I've about hit the cost of what one would of been installed.....

I'll get the COGS to work, just can't wait to feel the car on full boost being able to bring it up in the RPMS.......I can't remember the last time I floored my car......
Old 04-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Yep thats Anthony Dickson, he's a local here in Alb,NM.

I do need to thank my sponsors: HP Performance, Budlong Racing Engines,Dyno Edge, Casey Hammonds, John Urist (for getting me my new turbo and letting me take 1 of his as a spare, and Jesus Christ.
DICKSON "
This guy's sponsored by Christ! No wonder he's in the 7's.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I'm assuming the soon to be released HP turbo kit for the f-bodies is a single turbo?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, single, I wish some TT kits would come out, I wish CAS would get their act together, their kit would go along nice w/my CAS radiator
Old 04-07-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

TT kits? With the lack of space under hood and the results of Daves single and Robs single, why would you want anything more I love Noyzees car but man it gotta be a bitch to do work on.
That mustang above is a single too, it maxes the dyno out Gotta love the 331ci and a big turbo. Too bad the ol LS1 isn't as boost friendly
J
Old 04-07-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

i hear the turbo spooling.. something is making the boost build.. is it drag from the converter or what? theres no way he's leaving the line like that on motor anyways.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HP started out making a twin kit..... got really far in the design but eventually ran into major fitment issues and so started again, but this time making a single. The kit is almost finished and should be released by first of May. Between the turbotech race kit, Hp perf., and PTK this should be a very interesting year.... i think we will see new levels with Ls1's and turbos... especially in stock form.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:11 AM
SSU Moderator

a converter should produce load on the motor (i.e. build boost)
Old 04-07-2004, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i dont hear any electronics kicking in... just sounds like he revs it up higher and higher.. have anything to do with the transmission?
Trans-brake.
It locks 1st gear and reverse. You hold the gas the floor until you release the button.
It works too well on my car --- I can't hook up on 26" tire when I use it.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

so that is what is loading the car.. but what controls the rpm? your foot?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:14 PM
SSU Moderator

unless you have a two-step (or any kind of rev-limiter), your foot controls rpm. same thing when you press the clutch and gas at the same time.

Quick Reply: how did this turbo launch happen?