Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Precision 74 GTQ, SP Cover, .96 A/R?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a4ls2goat
You were making something closer to 800whp.
The car's actual weight with me in it is 3870lbs. My goal was anything over 700 so that is cool.

Okay, here are some things I did today. I pulled the wastegates apart and it has a light spring in it but I thought it had 15lb springs. I have a heavier spring but am one short. Don't know how I got 15lbs of boost with the manual boost controller off unless it wasn't working for some reason.

The spring on the left is the one that was in there and the spring on the right is the stiffer one I had. Anyone know who these springs are measured? No definite color.

Also, I took the cam & crank sensor from my old engine and swapped them. Still didn't improve. I also had another computer that has an efi live tune. Ran a little different but for the most part was doing the same thing. I re did all of my silicone connectors and didn't find any not sealed. Now here is something that may be the problem. I unhooked a coil pack to check spark from the coil packs. I pulled one at a time and by the third one I never noticed any change in how the car ran and rev'd up. I thought that was wierd. Anyways, I took a video of the #2 cylinder with the spark plug boot unhooked from the coil pack. Is it me or is the spark all over the place? Not to sound stupid but isn't only supposed to fire like every 3 seconds or so to go through the cylinder cycle? I am wondering if the coil packs have to be on the same side as before. Does the spark look wierd to anyone else or is that how it is supposed to look. Also, the car runs the same if you pull a plug wire from the coil pack. Surely that isn't right.

Attached Thumbnails Precision 74 GTQ, SP Cover, .96 A/R?-wastegate-springs.jpg  
Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That turbo is too small, you'll be taking 3 steps backwards with that turbo.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, thanks for the response, I am keeping the twins. Also, not sure what the problem was but I think we got it fixed. I'll drive it tomorrow and see if everything is okay. I took the coil packs off and put the dirty ones that came with the new engine on. I also went ahead and swapped the Air Idle Control and the TPS sensors from my old engine. Seems to be running correct now. It still runs a little lean at 3k-3800 and then normals out but I remember in my tune I added timing and pulled some fuel to help with spool in that exact same window. It's no longer breaking up just a slight hesitation in that spot.

I put the car in gear, set the transbrake and built 5lbs of boost. It wouldn't do anything before. I still need to get the seal replaced on the turbo but I think now everything is working properly. I'll test drive it tomorrow and let you all know. Thanks again for everyone's help and for talking me into keeping the twins.

Quick question: This engine still has the stock thermostat which I think is 195 and I am sure is tooooo hot. Anyways, my other engine I did not run a thermost. Hence why it took so long to warm up. Should I pull this thermostat completely or put a 160 in? If so which 160 thermostat should I be getting?

Last edited by Wicked69; 09-02-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol. i wish i was trapping 118mph in my 5.3.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by a4ls2goat
lol. i wish i was trapping 118mph in my 5.3.
Yeah, it's pretty cool but it leaves like a dog. I think I put the timing too high on the transbrake and maybe a little too lean. Not sure. It doesn't even get going until 80 ft out. 1.8 60ft's lol.

Here's a video of my first 118mph pass. It only went 6.61 but we improved that down to 6.20's but not any better. With that mph I thought for sure I could get a high 5.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:37 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Wicked69
Okay, thanks for the response, I am keeping the twins. Also, not sure what the problem was but I think we got it fixed. I'll drive it tomorrow and see if everything is okay. I took the coil packs off and put the dirty ones that came with the new engine on. I also went ahead and swapped the Air Idle Control and the TPS sensors from my old engine. Seems to be running correct now. It still runs a little lean at 3k-3800 and then normals out but I remember in my tune I added timing and pulled some fuel to help with spool in that exact same window. It's no longer breaking up just a slight hesitation in that spot.

I put the car in gear, set the transbrake and built 5lbs of boost. It wouldn't do anything before. I still need to get the seal replaced on the turbo but I think now everything is working properly. I'll test drive it tomorrow and let you all know. Thanks again for everyone's help and for talking me into keeping the twins.

Quick question: This engine still has the stock thermostat which I think is 195 and I am sure is tooooo hot. Anyways, my other engine I did not run a thermost. Hence why it took so long to warm up. Should I pull this thermostat completely or put a 160 in? If so which 160 thermostat should I be getting?
There is a better way to add timing and pull fuel from the tune in vacuum to spool transition regions than using the main timing map or PE/BE.

If you're interested I can help you out.

That thing is dead on the trans brake you're fueling is probably not ideal on the trans brake.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
There is a better way to add timing and pull fuel from the tune in vacuum to spool transition regions than using the main timing map or PE/BE.

That thing is dead on the trans brake you're fueling is probably not ideal on the trans brake.
I agree. You can tell in the video I think I have the tune dead on about 80ft on, bitch screams and pulls harder than anything I have ever driven. My tune is definitely not right while on the transbrake. No doubt. Tuesday, I will have my own Hptuners and hopefully by wednesday I can send out my tune.

Yes, I would like the help. Still learning is an understatement.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested if you care to share.

As far as the thermostat, I'd run the 160. I'm running whatever the one that autozone sells. I don't run over 210 in the summer heat.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Thats great that your problem is fixed. Weird though. I wonder if the one coil or more was f-ed up???? Its a bitch that you gotta keep getting that turbo fixed. To me thats kinda bullshit. I love the car and hope it works out for you. Hopefully Martin can help you get that bitch out of the hole HARD!!! Good luck. I know i will be waiting for results. Chevelles are my favourite!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why dont you put a pair of s256 turbos on it, they are only $600 and box stock Borgs are the most reliable things made.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Wicked69
I agree. You can tell in the video I think I have the tune dead on about 80ft on, bitch screams and pulls harder than anything I have ever driven. My tune is definitely not right while on the transbrake. No doubt. Tuesday, I will have my own Hptuners and hopefully by wednesday I can send out my tune.

Yes, I would like the help. Still learning is an understatement.
Send it out to me at martin@tick-performance.com then once you send it call me at the shop. 336-719-0599 and I'll walk you through how to do it.
Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I'm interested if you care to share.
If you can do the same thing I told Wicked I will be more than willing to help. It would probably be easier though if both of you guys called me at the shop or on my personal cell to do this. Explaining it over the internet is quite a task and it's not something I just go around telling people how to do although I have in the past in my posts about this same thing.
Originally Posted by Hank Peabody
Why dont you put a pair of s256 turbos on it, they are only $600 and box stock Borgs are the most reliable things made.
To say those turbo's are too small is an understatement. If you meant the S362's that would be a much better choice.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

To say those turbo's are too small is an understatement. If you meant the S362's that would be a much better choice.
S256 turbines are 1mm different on both measurements to his 6262 turbos he has now. Two S256 compressors flow a little more than a single S480 with race cover. Thats too small for a 5.3? You think an S480 compressor is too small for a 5.3 at 18#?

Two S256 turbos flow 84lbs/min of air at max efficiency according to Borg warner at the 18# of boost he is running.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Send it out to me at martin@tick-performance.com then once you send it call me at the shop. 336-719-0599 and I'll walk you through how to do it.

If you can do the same thing I told Wicked I will be more than willing to help. It would probably be easier though if both of you guys called me at the shop or on my personal cell to do this. Explaining it over the internet is quite a task and it's not something I just go around telling people how to do although I have in the past in my posts about this same thing.

I am out of town most of next week, but once I get everything installed on my laptop, I will definitely give you a call.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:12 AM
TECH Regular

-6 wtf

the ford guys run a -3 on single T70 IIRC w/o a restrictor.

unless you have oil pressure issues -4 should work fine after the y.
put an adapter in you oil feed and verify the oil pressure at the turbo.
Then they can't says anything about the oil side.

do your turbos have a restrictors?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Hank Peabody
S256 turbines are 1mm different on both measurements to his 6262 turbos he has now. Two S256 compressors flow a little more than a single S480 with race cover. Thats too small for a 5.3? You think an S480 compressor is too small for a 5.3 at 18#?

Two S256 turbos flow 84lbs/min of air at max efficiency according to Borg warner at the 18# of boost he is running.
Not what I would choose, maybe I shouldn't of worded it like I did.

What he has is fine.

Quick Reply: Precision 74 GTQ, SP Cover, .96 A/R?