Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Water pushing out the radiator!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. Guys... I went over again this even and put the compressed air in the cylinders and nothing but blow by the rings with the piston down. I put the plugs back in and tried to ''burp'' it again, with the cap off the rad. and same shiat...Damn!

Just wondering??? Has anyone ever heard of the water pump not leaking out of the ''weep hole'' but still not pumping or fail in any other way???

I pulled the hose from the t-stat housing at idle and the water came out but did not seem to have any real pressure that would push thru the radiator sufficiently... Idk. Just trying anything...

I'm getting a lot of guesses, from a simple t-stat to the worst of the worst being a cracked block...
Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Standard issue, compromised head gasket. Stop guessing and pull the heads.

The term "pushing water" wasn't coined from properly sealing head gaskets. Yours is so far gone, standard cylinder pressure is pushing water.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis

The term "pushing water" wasn't coined from properly sealing head gaskets. Yours is so far gone, standard cylinder pressure is pushing water.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

I understand where you are going with that suggestion, but I just put these 317 heads and new Ls9 gaskets with ARP bolts and lube torqued to 72lb.ft. and double cheched. I took pics of the progress and the gaskets are on ''front'' to the front as they should be.

I'm trying to not waste the money of another set of gaskets, if possible. That's why I'm trying so hard to proove to myself that it isn't something else first. Maybe a more simple fix.

Only because this is the same thing it was doing before the swap. I couldn't find anything showing real proof of a "lifted head" from the other gaskets but I hadn't ever seen one before either. So, I went with the "pros" suggestion and did the swap to drop the static compression because they all said it was a "lifted head"... But, it does this overheading at idle not even under a load . It is still on the rack and hasn't even hit the street yet , **** not even the driveway...lol
Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

had an idea but then just went thru and realized it was already discussed. Sorry for the lack of help Op, good luck with finding the problem but all fingers seem to be pointing to taking the heads off.. at least you dont have to buy new head bolts again too...
Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 126 Likes on 63 Posts

how many times did you re-torque the heads before tuning the car? i could this happening if you only torqued them once or twice because my studs stretched a lot on passes 1-3. i did each stud 5 times.. also went to 85ftlbs
Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

I went over the bolts only twice... to only 72#s... Ah **** ...80-85#???
Mmmm...I read with ARP lube only 70 and with oil 85..

The tune is the same from before. No changes to anything but the heads and gaskets...

Last edited by 383vert; 09-13-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 383vert
I went over the bolts only twice... to only 72#s... Ah **** ...80-85#???
Mmmm...I read with ARP lube only 70 and with oil 85..

The tune is the same from before. No changes to anything but the heads and gaskets...
Ummm I wonder if your head bolts stretched? In that case pull the heads. My old talon did the same thing. Kept pushing coolant...under boost though and I had to re-torque my damn head bolts twice. I said screw it and pulled the head and went with L19 head studs. Bam, problem fixed. I did a pressure test as well and it checked out fine. Food for thought.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Had you back flushed the coolant ? I'm wondering if something is blocking coolant to the heads. Man, this sure sucks for you. I get these demon/phantom issues from time to time and they are so painful because it seems everything your intuition says to check, seems fine. Looking forward to your post that says "FOUND IT!".
Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Louis

Correct sir.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

If it did this before? And it's doing it again? I'd look at a cracked sleeve. We have never pushed water on ls9 gaskets, but that's only the 800-900 rwtq limit.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hardbodeez
Correct sir.
That is what we figured when it originally started doing it, so i decided to swap out the 243 heads for the 317 heads and ls9 gaskets. 383vert just finished installing the 317 heads and the issues is still there, the water is being pushed out of the radiator. The scariest part is that the issue wasn't around before I took it to be tuned the first time, but hopefully it's a simple fix and not a roasted block.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

OK, I see you supplied more information that you installed another set of heads and still have the problem. I agree with Louis that it's probably a cracked sleeve. Especially if it's doing it under no load.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you pressure test the cooling system with the motor warm or cold? When you say it pushes water out of the radiator with the cap off is this hot or cold? Most cars will push coolant out the filler with the cap off when they are hot. After you let the car sit for a while and you first start it, is there any smoke from the exhaust?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fastassls1maro
did you pressure test the cooling system with the motor warm or cold? When you say it pushes water out of the radiator with the cap off is this hot or cold? Most cars will push coolant out the filler with the cap off when they are hot. After you let the car sit for a while and you first start it, is there any smoke from the exhaust?
Well, I did the radiator pressure test with the engine warm and again cooled down and rotating the engine over at the crank. There is no water in the oil and no steam in the exhaust.... That's why I'm not having fun with a "normal" answer to the average results... This is really getting me thinking, But I kinda like it!!!!LOL... But, it still sucks...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate all of the ideas...and help. It is great and helpful.

I am afraid of the crack cylinder wall because that would be a costly and big set back... I agree it is possible but the car only hit about 6-7#'s of boost at only 5700 rpm before they shut it down, do to the oil dip stick blowing out and spraying oil all over... the other to pulls on log, they only pulled the car to like 4600-4800...wtf... It only had @ 12-16 degrees of total timing at first now it has @ 10-12 degrees.

Please, keep the ideas coming and I'll keep trying to avoid pulling the engine to be machine shop checked...hahaha... Oh ****...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Everytime you post you add more details, I don't remember you mentioning the dipstick being blown out of the tube and oil spraying everywhere. Cracked sleeve= blow by and pressurized cooling system.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Damn... I try to think of everything each time I write on here ...
I was trying to fight for a simple fix... I really was...

But, looks like the engine is coming back out...After, I flush the block and check the waterpump...and that's my final attempt at "easy". The waterpump has to come off to change blocks anyway, it's worth it to me for peace of mind...

thanks again fellas. I will post up what was found.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The oil will tell you everything once you drain it. If it looks like chocolate milk then your **** out of luck. But it also sounds like the PCV setup isn't adequate if you blowing the dipstick out. Sounds like too much crankcase pressure.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 126 Likes on 63 Posts

one of the tell tale signs of motor trouble is blowing the dipstick out, that never ends well..

Quick Reply: Water pushing out the radiator!!