Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley EFI boost Control!?! Where is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i emailed holley about beta testing since i was actively racing at the time,and they basically ignored me,

so to anyone who has the boost firmware, please pm me. i am willing to even pay for it so i can limit my launch boost at the track next week.with the 6.0 , a small cam, and methanol, the launch is just too violent and i want to tone it down a little. i will keep it discrete and never mention my source.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea on the price?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
Any idea on the price?
For what? The boost control is part of the HP and Dominator system.

If you are asking about the solenoids, i would never in a million years expect them to more then 100 bucks.

For the Current and future owners of the HP and Dominator, it should just be a firmware upgrade and then buying the appropriate solenoid.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

So does this ecu have no form of boost control whatsoever at present ?

All it needs is a simple PWM output controlled via a table against rpm or throttle or something for a basic boost control same as most EBC's

And you can buy a good 3 port MAC solenoid for around $40

Or better still a 4 port solenoid for $65 or so.

4 port is much better as you can blow the w/g open as well as closed.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So does this ecu have no form of boost control whatsoever at present ?

All it needs is a simple PWM output controlled via a table against rpm or throttle or something for a basic boost control same as most EBC's
Unless you have Beta Firmware, NO, the current ECU does not have the boost control enabled, the toolbar quicklinks arent even their in the current version
Old 09-16-2012, 01:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAX04
Unless you have Beta Firmware, NO, the current ECU does not have the boost control enabled, the toolbar quicklinks arent even their in the current version
Is the software available for download anywhere ?

If there is a flexible PWM output, you would be able to use that.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

The Holley software is available to download here

And as far as the flexible PWM, im too stupid to know, lol. Ive not messed with mine enough to even get into that, Im still trying to figure out something simple like wiring in the second set of injectors, lol
Old 09-16-2012, 01:58 PM
9 Second Club

PWM ( Pulse Width Modulation ) which is basically any output to control any actuator. Be it a solenoid, injector, whatever.

It doesnt have to be called boost control for it to be used as boost control. As long as you can control a solenoid based on different engine parameters, you can use it for boost control

Downloading it now for a look.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:13 PM
9 Second Club

There does appear to be lots of inputs and outputs, but the software doesnt seem to allow you to do anything with them or assign them to be used.

Whether it wants an ecu to be connected I dont know. Pretty shitty if it doesnt allow full access offline though.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Their are tons of I/Os, i cannot remember if the ECU has to be connected, Someone else will have to chime in on that.

The system is fantastic, their is no doubt about that.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:27 PM
9 Second Club

edit.

You can configure spare outputs, and you can build a 3d table using lots of parameters to control the output. So yes you can control boost now.

In it/s most basic format use TPS vs RPM.

Using the above, you will be able to control boost vs rpm quite easily

At least the base file LS1 4L60E will let me do it.

Open up the I/O window and go to outputs.

Then choose an output configured as PWM -ve ( ie solenoid receives a 12v from ignition and is pulsed via this output )
Generally below say 20-30% throttle you dont want the solenoid to do anything or it would always be clicking away.

Then just adjust the PWM values in the table vs rpm and you can adjust boost as required. This will of course be trial and error
typically 0% duty = wastegate pressure
100% duty = max boost which will vary on every setup.

Looking at it, you can also control the duty via trans speed, or trans gear. So with either of these vs rpm, it would allow a boost by gear or speed option too.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM
9 Second Club

Something like this. Not sure why it has the axis for gears with multiple rows for each gear. I would just fill the same values for each row to avoid any issues if using boost by gear.
Ideally you would configure the table for your rpm range and gears actually used if it allows you to do that.

Set it as a fixed PWM at around 16Hz ( most valves will be happy at that frequency )

You'll just need to figure out which output pin you are assigning this channel to.

Or with the table TPS vs RPM.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:37 PM
9 Second Club

And for solenoids

http://stores.ebay.com/Circuit-Se7en

So once the I/O table and config has been set up.

Go to the pin map and you will see this in unassigned channels. Just drop this into one of the GP- outputs and then use that pin to wire the solenoid to.

job done...get out and get tuning.

The software does look pretty nice. They have gone out of their way to make it easy to view and fairly easy to set up.
Although not sure why some stuff isnt there on some maps. Obviously you must be able to add them though

Last edited by stevieturbo; 09-16-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:04 PM
9 Second Club

It actually lets you change all the values on the x/y axis quite easily. Just enter the values you want. So you can change the rpm range to a more sensible range, gears etc etc very easily.

You can also add the I/O to the toolbar, just load it up from the Individual Config files.

So even despite no dedicated boost control setup, you will still be able to achieve a very very good level of boost control as it is now.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stevieturbo is right in that you can use the standard outputs as a means to control a solinoid, thats what i have been doing up until i recieved the beta version. However it surged boost and i was getting tired of messing with it. If you set it up that way make sure you program in a failsafe to prevent boost overshoot, if you dont and you get too aggressive with the pwm DC then you will overboost and you wont be happy and neither will your engine.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Ill just be waiting for the boost control, lol. My car is down till spring anyhow.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver_82
Stevieturbo is right in that you can use the standard outputs as a means to control a solinoid, thats what i have been doing up until i recieved the beta version. However it surged boost and i was getting tired of messing with it. If you set it up that way make sure you program in a failsafe to prevent boost overshoot, if you dont and you get too aggressive with the pwm DC then you will overboost and you wont be happy and neither will your engine.
good info

Last edited by 71 chevy; 10-01-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by silver_82
Unless you have it set up wrong, there is no reason you should experience an overshoot. Virtually every boost control set up starts as an open loop system where the user defines the base duty cycles for any given boost. Which is exactly how it would be operating.
So you should not be experiencing such problems unless there is a plumbing issue or you are applying duty cycles too high before the onset of boost.

And there should be no safety issues if tuned correctly. Either via a boost cut ( assuming the ecu has one ) or simply setting the map numbers so they are safe anywhere it might go unintentionally.

IMO the only time problems with boost control start occurring is when people start to try and use closed loop, as this requires far more setting up which is why Holley are so slow in getting a final version for customer use.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good discussion, I want to caution you about the solenoids. Our testing has shown that certain solenoids act differently at lower voltage.

They are not stable or repeatable as others. It's for that reason we advise those who use our boost control to procure the proper solenoids.

You can buy them from Holley or another vendor.

I will have more information once the BETA testing is completed.

Thanks

Robin
Old 09-17-2012, 11:39 AM
9 Second Club

Why would anyone be using a lower voltage than 12v ?

The Mac solenoids I listed are pretty much the standard when it comes to boost control. Almost all the major brands resell them as their own.
No idea what solenoid Holley sells though, or indeed what you expect as an operating voltage.

Quick Reply: Holley EFI boost Control!?! Where is it?