Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ebay hotside turbo kits. yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012 | 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jt76
If you're doing FI and you are going to try to do it on the "cheap" you're going to be disappointed.
HAHAHA ^^^^^ couldnt say it better. I was hellbent on spending only 4k on the cheap and 15k later was the point i became dissapointed....the 6-7k after the 15k was the point id wish i would have taken up smoking crack!
Old 10-09-2012 | 02:40 PM
Launching!

i might end up just making my own hotside eventually. the huron hotside is so simple. i do have some minor fab skills and a mig welder i dont think it would be too hard. id rather go ahead and make my own before spending 1000 on 3 pieces of pipe from huron. theres just so many options im kind of just thinking out loud. what would you guys suggest as the best bang for the buck turbo? ive always wanted to grab a holset off a big diesel and try that
Old 10-09-2012 | 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jtotheizzo
I get that Huron and Modular make a great kit. However you are comparing apples to oranges when saying its only $300 more. The EBAY kit he is showing here keeps A\C. I would love to see one of our fantastic sponsors throw together a reasonably priced kit that keeps A\C but as of yet it has not happened until then do what you need to I say.
I agree with the sponsor part, someone needs to fill that void in the market

May be a stupid question, but if that op's eBay kit keeps keeps a/c and looks reasonably priced, what aren't more people running those instead if a truck manifold kit?
Old 10-09-2012 | 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by simplysix
I agree with the sponsor part, someone needs to fill that void in the market

May be a stupid question, but if that op's eBay kit keeps keeps a/c and looks reasonably priced, what aren't more people running those instead if a truck manifold kit?
....i know someone about to step up to the plate, hes just a little bit late
Old 10-09-2012 | 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ttranssam
....i know someone about to step up to the plate, hes just a little bit late
So do i! and he needs to hurry up already, cuz his work is TOP notch!!
Old 10-10-2012 | 12:29 AM
Launching!

should i of waited ??? damn !!!!
Old 10-10-2012 | 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mightybird
should i of waited ??? damn !!!!
hahaha mayb! i'm waitin on his slackass to become a sponsor already!! This guy is the one who fabbed my truck mani kit. My car is a non ac car, and i didnt want to move alternator/swaybar/radiator, so he fabbed mine up. Once he becomes a sponsor, if OP hasnt gotten a kit already, he'll be happy with annonymous person LOL
Old 10-10-2012 | 12:45 AM
Launching!

any pics of your truck mani kit ??
Old 10-10-2012 | 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

seen a little of his work and so far am impressed....in for pics of the mani kit
Old 10-10-2012 | 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

I'd post but i dont want to hijack this guys thread, ill post a build thread in 29 days once i get home
Old 10-10-2012 | 07:14 PM
9 Second Club

there is also B&G they came out with a LSX hot side kit in a Mustang for 800, I'm pretty sure he will be coming out with others. He is well known on turbo forums
Old 10-10-2012 | 08:03 PM
Launching!

now im getting curious, ill be keeping my eyes open for the mystery sponsor sounds like the kit for me
i definitely wont have a kit anytime soon...feel free to post up pics of your setup if youd like. it will help me out too!
Old 10-11-2012 | 12:31 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I have another question on these ebay kits. It seems like there are several of them out there. I have looked at the ptk knock off kit by goodspeed. Does this or any of them require you to move the radiator? i know they keep the a/c, which is mandatory for me. but i also don't want to hack up my radiator support, and I need to run a sway bar on the street.

So with these kits do they fit with out any modifications to these parts i mentioned above?
Old 10-11-2012 | 12:31 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Also what is the power potential of these kits? Would they be capable to get into the 600 or 700hp range?
Old 10-11-2012 | 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

my brother has a whole ebay ls1 turbo kit forsale right now for $850..thats everything, not just hotside.
Old 10-11-2012 | 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSX FOX
my brother has a whole ebay ls1 turbo kit forsale right now for $850..thats everything, not just hotside.
pm me the info and some pics. I'm in the Clearwater Fl area.
Old 10-11-2012 | 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gpr
Also what is the power potential of these kits? Would they be capable to get into the 600 or 700hp range?
My friend is making 720 rwhp running out of gas on a 5.3 engine with a godspeed kit and a mp t76 @16 #`s. I dont see why he wont see 800+ with more fuel.

With that said it needed some work just to get everything together, I would buy a huron or modular truck amnifold kit if your on a budget and stay away from the ebay stuff. on the ebay kit the HEaders welds cracked over last 2 years and need rewelding.
Old 10-12-2012 | 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gpr
I have another question on these ebay kits. It seems like there are several of them out there. I have looked at the ptk knock off kit by goodspeed. Does this or any of them require you to move the radiator? i know they keep the a/c, which is mandatory for me. but i also don't want to hack up my radiator support, and I need to run a sway bar on the street.

So with these kits do they fit with out any modifications to these parts i mentioned above?
You wont have to hack up the core support or stand up the radiator but you will have to invest in pusher fans because there is not enough clearance to keep the factory puller on the driver side and if you don't stand up the radiator I recommend a turbo blanket. You will have to relocate the alternator. This kit will not affect the sway bar and you can leave it on.

Also as mentioned above about about the cracks in the header, it wont happen it you brace the turbo. That happens from hitting bumps on the road (cant be completely avoided) this cause the weight of the turbo to yank on the hotpipe system and eventually leads to one of the welds cracking. Build a brace from the flange to the one of the altenator mounting bolts and this wont happen will cost about 10 dollars and a hour of time.
Old 10-12-2012 | 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

The eBay kit is not perfect by all means. But it is very budget friendly and keeps a/c. I ovaled out the header bolt holes and upgraded the v clamps. I'm using a tc78 and the dp did not fit so I built my own. It's a Lil more work but I am happy with it so far. Here's my build.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...t56-build.html
Old 10-12-2012 | 05:53 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Preston99WS6
You wont have to hack up the core support or stand up the radiator but you will have to invest in pusher fans because there is not enough clearance to keep the factory puller on the driver side and if you don't stand up the radiator I recommend a turbo blanket. You will have to relocate the alternator. This kit will not affect the sway bar and you can leave it on.

Also as mentioned above about about the cracks in the header, it wont happen it you brace the turbo. That happens from hitting bumps on the road (cant be completely avoided) this cause the weight of the turbo to yank on the hotpipe system and eventually leads to one of the welds cracking. Build a brace from the flange to the one of the altenator mounting bolts and this wont happen will cost about 10 dollars and a hour of time.
Sounds good and is what I wanted to hear. I figure a heavy turbo hanging off stainless steel headers would eventually crack.

With only pushers on the front side of the radiator, does the car have over heating issues? I take it you could put two pushers on the front and at least one on the back side of the radiator still?

Quick Reply: Ebay hotside turbo kits. yay or nay?