Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

E85 timing with boost on Gen III's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think there is no generic answer to this. Every combo will be a little different and the more efficient the turbo and engine the less timing you will need to run to make the power. A good example is the difference between a Subaru motor and an Evo motor. Subarus need more timing due to their less efficient head design and will run up to 26* at redline compared to the Evo motor that may only run 6* at redline!

Consequently I usually add a degree or two towards the top of the rpm band compared to timing at peak torque. I may be running 10* at peak torque and 18* at redline. Also larger, more efficient turbos will need less timing to make the same power at the same boost level as a smaller less efficint turbo.

As has been noted above it is about cylinder pressure and density as well as the fuel. The best advice I can give is make a set of "det cans" (you can do this for about $20 for electronic) and listen to the motor. Start low and work your way up.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just looking for a ballpark where to start, which a lot of people have chimmed in and given me. Thanks! I' actually pulled a pullied and K&N filter foxbody last night. I put a fender on that weak bitch.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

start out low. make adjustments. go up. stops gaining, stop raising.

Quick Reply: E85 timing with boost on Gen III's?