Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll never keep everyone happy.
And someone could always do it better but they keep their car stock
Old 10-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

so there is a 6psi spring in the wastegate and the ****** tops out the map sensor on the car immediately lol, well over 23psi, its divided and one cyl bank is feeding each divided side, and only a 38mm gate on the passenger side, so i opened it up today like a **** and "shouldered" it all together and now the boost comes up slower and seemed to stop at 20.5... we will see if it holds around there, honestly i dont have high hopes for it.

take a look at my pretty work

still fighting some fueling problems, going to take the twin outlets on the sump, feed a 044 and another 044 from the sump directly and then Y them together and hit the feed line, hopefully that gives it enough fuel. i am definately loosing fuel pressure because duty cycle is running away and car still goes lean as *****

hoodstack fireballs
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I guess you just had one single 38 regulating both sides?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sarg
So I guess you just had one single 38 regulating both sides?
yeah i didnt build this hotside, the 38 was only on one side. passenger side, the other side was divided with no WG

its still not enough im going to have to put the 60mm we have laying around on it
Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't tell if you are trying to get my OCD self irritated by booger welding everything or if you really are just terrible at it. I'd either have to weld with a blindfold on to have something come out looking like that.

But hey, if it works...
Old 10-22-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

I am really hoping my twin 38s on my s480 will be enough on my 5.3 motor. Thankfully it has a olarger t6 housing and bigger turbine wheel.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sarg
I am really hoping my twin 38s on my s480 will be enough on my 5.3 motor. Thankfully it has a olarger t6 housing and bigger turbine wheel.
I am running twin 38's on a 370ci with a s475 and have beautiful boost control. can regulate it down to just a few psi (and probably further if i wanted).
Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM

yeah if we had another 38 we could throw it on, but we do have the 60 laying around from the truck so we will probably just cut it open where the 38 is and weld the 60 in
Old 10-22-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by killernoodle
I can't tell if you are trying to get my OCD self irritated by booger welding everything or if you really are just terrible at it. I'd either have to weld with a blindfold on to have something come out looking like that.

But hey, if it works...
honestly proper equipment, training, and proceedure like cleaning the surfaces might yeild better results, but i dont have any of them lol

Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by denmah
honestly proper equipment, training, and proceedure like cleaning the surfaces might yeild better results, but i dont have any of them lol

x2...
Old 10-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by killernoodle

But hey, if it works...
What the hell is wrong with you people? If you don't like what hes doing, take your mouse and click on the little red X in the right upper corner. He doesn't give a **** if you hate his welds, or say he half asses ****, and honestly no one who follows his threads do either. He gets **** done, and has fun doing it. Let him do what he does best. I on the other hand applaud his efforts. Its not a show car, nor is he trying to show it as. Its ugly but it ******* works. Sorry rant over.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MrPotatoeHead
What the hell is wrong with you people? If you don't like what hes doing, take your mouse and click on the little red X in the right upper corner. He doesn't give a **** if you hate his welds, or say he half asses ****, and honestly no one who follows his threads do either. He gets **** done, and has fun doing it. Let him do what he does best. I on the other hand applaud his efforts. Its not a show car, nor is he trying to show it as. Its ugly but it ******* works. Sorry rant over.
X2....
Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 PM

cut open the whole top of it today and installed the 60mm from the truck, tested it on the pressure rig i have and it cracked at 20psi, great, thats what we wanna start with haha...

ripped it down the road and it holds 20psi.

also earlier corey grabbed a bunch of fittings and a Y fitting (youll laugh when you see it) and we re-did the fuel feeds. both 044s getting fed from the sump, and then pushing out into the Y fitting and then up to the rail, it works and doesnt leak, funny thing is one of the pumps was loud and stuggling, interesting because 044s are pretty quiet, and when they get upset they make noise right away... so we felt em both and the one was getting super hot, and it eventually blew a 30amp fuse (for both pumps)

well i said everytime the pump made noise like that it was because the fuel filter was clogged. well we checked the filter like 10x and its not clogged.. so we just removed the pre-filter entirely and holy ****, you can barely hear the pumps now, so quiet, ive never heard them this quiet....

now there is tons of fuel, and the car is holding 20psi.

hopefully filling it with E85 and taking it to the dyno later this week.

here is an hour and a half 38mm removal, 60mm install, dump and hood cut all at once lol

Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Yes! Finally e-85 in one of your builds!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrPotatoeHead
I believe you just said exactly what I just said.

Also, I'm not sure why you are reacting this way. I think he knows that looking at those welds would give any welder a hernia. That's probably why he posted the picture and why he gets so much flak over at yellowbullet. I'm certainly not hating his builds, I think they're hilarious!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:51 AM

even if i could do a nicer job the part of me that wants it done in one hour so i can do burnouts would winout and it would look like this anyway haha.

i dont build pretty.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 AM

gunna fill it up with e85 tonight now that the boost is under control and the fuel pumps are working great, take it out and make sure everything is good on 20lbs, going to tune it on saturday night hopefully and might even get it to the track sunday morning for a shakedown pass.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Was it the pre or post filter giving you issues? What kind of filter was it?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:24 PM

yeah it was the pre-filter, come to think of it i had one on my fairmont, i wonder if it would have done even better, if i had never used a pre-filter on it.

it was a earls high micron post filter, totally starving the 044. **** was screaming and hot to the touch.

now you cant even hear them running. so strange.
we tried a summit and earls pre-filter and both were angry as hell. so took them out.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your stuff might not win any beauty contest but you get it done.

Perty only counts in Barbies which this ain't.

Quick Reply: 1980 pontiac sunbird, dana44/4.8lsx/317heads/Glide-tbrake/gt45