Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Engine builder taking ages... Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine builder taking ages... Normal?

Hey guys, just after a bit of clarification really... Starting to get frustrated.
I handed over around 80% of the cost of a complete engine to a sponsor on here after great customer service and response times. All started out well, then as time goes on everything started dropping off..

Long story short, I payed in mid May and I've seen photos of parts. I've been told that a short motor has just been assembled and heads are being drilled for studs. Does it really take this long to build an engine? I thought being in America, parts would be easier to come by?

The promised email replies don't come, and I'm getting sick of staying up till 2am so I can make international calls...

In short, is this usual and am I being a drama queen?

I really really just wanna get this engine so I can start turning tyres into smoke!

Jeremy.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Anchor
Hey guys, just after a bit of clarification really... Starting to get frustrated.
I handed over around 80% of the cost of a complete engine to a sponsor on here after great customer service and response times. All started out well, then as time goes on everything started dropping off..

Long story short, I payed in mid May and I've seen photos of parts. I've been told that a short motor has just been assembled and heads are being drilled for studs. Does it really take this long to build an engine? I thought being in America, parts would be easier to come by?

The promised email replies don't come, and I'm getting sick of staying up till 2am so I can make international calls...

In short, is this usual and am I being a drama queen?

I really really just wanna get this engine so I can start turning tyres into smoke!

Jeremy.
May....ya... I'd be pissed. I would think if a shop gets back logged they would tell you ahead of time. If they didnt it sounds like a **** poor managed place. I think 1 out of a 100 machine shops are actually decent.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:36 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If they haven't replied to emails, then now's the time to call them out on here. Too often people use this forum as the first option in getting answers, when it should be a phone call or email directly to the sponsor. In your case, you've already done that and had little to no success, so I say call them out and try to get some resolution.

Typically, I would say with any long term project that you are contracting out, be it home remodel, or having a motor built, only pay for parts/materials up front, which is usually around 50% of the total cost. That way it encourages the contractor to finish so they can get paid, but keeps you honest since you are now invested as well.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

not normal at all for someplace reputable... unfortunately in the automotive world it is normal though lol... 1/2 inch studs?? cause theres no reason to drill for normal studs
Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

also if they say something like "we are extremely busy with building motors blah blah blah" tell them to STFU because anyplace reputable will only take on as much work at a time that they can handle in a respectable amount of time. i hate that line... its such bull ****. i have stuff that was supposed to take 4-6(at the most) weeks to complete take over 14 weeks. its bull **** lazy or they take on more work then they can handle, in which the end the customer suffers. if they keep doing it though their work load will run out soon enough.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Pretty much any place Ive dealt with in the US has been like that. I'd said it's very normal.

You just get used to it and plan well in advance.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mmm, i was expecting maybe 4 months max. It's been 5 and as far as i can tell they are still a fair way off finishing at this rate. Only reason i payed so much up front was because the Aus dollar was strong and you can never tell when it's going to take a dive..

I asked on the 10th for a rough ETA as i need to get this thing together within 5 months as the rules here are changing for registration. Was told i'd have an update on Monday.. And as usual, nothing. I understand sales, i understand people get busy. I sell new Fords for a job. Stuff gets stressful and you forget about some customers.. But this has gone on too long.

I'm going to try call again now, see if i can get some more answers. It's not hard to find out who i'm talking about. I don't really like calling people out on forums as it's not fair most of the time.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

After reading your signature, AES needs to step up and at least answer your emails or stay up late and call you on their dime.

I'm sorry, but unless they were waiting on you to supply something, or you kept changing your mind, there's no reason it should take 5 months.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeh, just tried to call a few times about an hour ago. They don't shut till 7pm going off their website. No answer. Must be busy building my engine...
I changed my mind on the inlet manifold? Lol. That was it. I wanted a 390, they recommended a 398 as they didn't have the parts for a 390 in stock.. I said ok and sent some money. I kept adding stuff? Like hardcore sump and water pump etc etc. That shouldn't change the build time.. The long motor hasn't changed.

In other good news, can't recommend Jason @ Total Cost Involved enough! Sending me some updated parts at no cost to me for freight and even striking a deal with garrett on some turbos.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

They should at least call you back and leave a message. I run a machine shop and if I have the time to call customers so do they! Not to me to mention if they thought it was going to take 5 months they should have given you a heads up, we all have time crunches and odd jobs that come in an fill the day but 5 months is a little ridiculous.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Launching!

I agree that is way to long. Even if they cut you a new billet block from a 700 pound chunk of aluminum it should have been done months ago..
Old 10-18-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep, that was my thoughts. Oh well, not much i can really do other than hound them for a response.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

maybe it fell off the shipping boat into the ocean?

jk

im sure these months have felt like years lol.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AES did take a while with my build (390 ci.) but I cant say enough good things about it so far. I still need a dyno tune but with this base tune (break in period) I have now valve train is nice and quiet and no problems so far. It seemed to me while I taked to Frazer that they were extreamly busy and this was about a 1 1l2 years ago. I'm sure the wait will be worth it.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tirefire, i really hope the wait is worth it. From what i've heard, it will be.

I HAVE A REPLY!

Waiting on the head studs.. Lol. Should have them next week... But the cam is in and dialed. Yay?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw this with a guy I worked with regularly. It was one of the things that split our partnership. When I saw that he was using one customers money to pay for another's parts and such I called foul. The other thing he was famous for was taking in tons of other jobs that he could do quickly and pushing off the bigger jobs. To me this was bullshit as those big jobs ended up getting pushed off for months and months. Also if a customer paid in full or mostly up front it seemed like it always got pushed to the very back of the line. ALL bs practices in my eyes but shops do it and get away with it if no one speaks up as is being done here.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Someone has a skill that is greatly in need so they start a business, the business is doing great and does great work. The word gets out and orders take off, parts shortages, not enough time in the day, etc.

We have a machine shop up here that builds the majority of motors you see at the local drag level same problem.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, i dunno why he's waiting for parts. Should have been ordered back in May?
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 180 Likes on 118 Posts

It would be nice to have a machine shop actually meet deadlines and return all your calls. As long as they do quality work that should be your main concern.
Even the best shops on here take their sweet time to answer questions. If you are an existing customer you should be on their priority list I would hope.

Keep calling.... shake the tree and get answers.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Anchor
Yeah, i dunno why he's waiting for parts. Should have been ordered back in May?
Some of the suppliers can take their sweet *** time when it comes to high end parts.

Quick Reply: Engine builder taking ages... Normal?