Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F1X cam I did

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Martin, with all due respect, you just talk out your *** sometimes and you put your .02$ in EVERY thread. Thats all I still think you are cool, but you can be annoying as **** online!

The results speak for themselves, but this car had a lot of issues with intercooler too.

Id like to see a graph. Did it lose midrange or low end at all?

AFR was not the same. Was timing the same? Were the conditions the same? Was the trans changed, was it locked vs unlocked?

Look at it this way, you come in, claim 125 rwhp gain from a cam swap alone. You dont post a graph, you just post your word. Nothing to back it up. You are relatively new to this forum, and you dont have much track record (that we know of!) and you come in with crazy results and nothing to back it up.

You know as well as I do, with a setup like this, the tuning will make or break it. Im not saying the tuner doesnt know his **** either, but between a few degrees of timing, a point or two of AFR and some better weather, you can easily pick up 100-150 hp.

As far as not needing to spin it higher to take advantage of the cam? you just added 20* of overlap, not to mention, its probably not even out of blower yet, so its still climbing. Spin it another 1000 rpm and itll pick up another 100hp!

Louis
Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnies
Is this the car that was having pre/post IC numbers be really different causing it to dyno low?
Yes it was.. Got that fixed before cam swap. Made 740 with restricted Intercooler.. Then changed pulleys (bigger blower pulley) once new IC was in made 775 and didn't want to push much more through stock tranny.. replaced cam (not knowing what to expect) it Deff sounded better and reved faster. Took it back to Justune with the EXACT setup I made 775 with beside the new cam and made 900rwhp. (899.19 actually)

If anyone says a turbo cam will be good for a supercharger, be sceptical! I was told the old cam was fine for my setup by a few people.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stangkilr
Yes sir, we are going to TX2K13 together. Justune (justin kalwei) is also one of my good friends. If he is tuning a bad *** car, I know about it.
Nice, that's whats up.
Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Great Job Martin, I'm going to try and get the build sheet on my engine and send it to you. Maybe I'm leaving something on the table too.
No problem just email me the form when you can.
Originally Posted by skinnies
Is this the car that was having pre/post IC numbers be really different causing it to dyno low?
Yes it was, he was able to gain a good bit from changing the intercooler, but it was still only making around 775rwhp after the intercooler swap.

I don't know why this so hard to believe for some of you guys. The proper valve events win out every time. It's that simple. If you want the most out of your set-up you need to have the cam tailored to the combination. If you don't care about squeezing every bit of power out of your combination a shelf grind will probably appease most of the masses.

Sub-par expectations yield sub-par results.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that old cam was rediculous, someone dropped the ******* ball on that one

Good job man
Old 10-26-2012, 12:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Louis
Martin, with all due respect, you just talk out your *** sometimes and you put your .02$ in EVERY thread. Thats all I still think you are cool, but you can be annoying as **** online!

The results speak for themselves, but this car had a lot of issues with intercooler too.

AFR was not the same. Was timing the same? Were the conditions the same? Was the trans changed, was it locked vs unlocked?

Look at it this way, you come in, claim 125 rwhp gain from a cam swap alone. You dont post a graph, you just post your word. Nothing to back it up. You are relatively new to this forum, and you dont have much track record (that we know of!) and you come in with crazy results and nothing to back it up.

You know as well as I do, with a setup like this, the tuning will make or break it. Im not saying the tuner doesnt know his **** either, but between a few degrees of timing, a point or two of AFR and some better weather, you can easily pick up 100-150 hp.

As far as not needing to spin it higher to take advantage of the cam? you just added 20* of overlap, not to mention, its probably not even out of blower yet, so its still climbing. Spin it another 1000 rpm and itll pick up another 100hp!

Louis
I hope you realize what an ******* you sound like right now. Is it because I'm young? Why is that all the old timers think that just because someone who hasn't "been around" that long has to be around for years and years just to know what he is talking about? I've got PLENTY of satisfied customers.

Why is it so hard for you to understand NOTHING but the CAMSHAFT CHANGED?

The owner has said it twice now, people who know the dyno shop and tuner have backed him up on the numbers also in this very thread?

What else do you need? I already PM'd you the dyno graphs so I hope your happy now.

The tuner did not force scaling so the graphs don't cross at 5250rpm like they should.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Louis

I have video for ya if you still don't understand after looking at the dyno graphs.. In all videos you can clearly hear the convertor is locked..
Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 PM
FormerVendor

So where are the haters now that I've posted the graphs?

There was a reason I didn't post them at first cited in my response to Mike@Diablosport.

The tuner did not force the scaling so the graphs don't cross and it makes the graph look funny.

I guess I'm still talking out of my *** though....

I will not take **** from anyone when I know I am right, and that goes for anyone.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 PM
FormerVendor

Your haters are right here, but I dont camp out on the computer all day. Im in the shop, not browsing the internetz and wondering why I have not responded in an hour

There is a dip in the torque curve of the baseline dyno. Is that from a cam with issues? Not from my experience. You know that too Martin.

I might sound like an *******, but you are not providing everyone with the information. When I call bullshit, its for a good reason.

That setup was definitely not ironed out before the cam was changed. Dont let that take away from your cam dude, but your going about it the wrong way!

When I test a cam Martin, and I make claims of 125 hp gains, First of all, its the same car, same day trying to evaluate the cam. Not fix the setup.

Why was run 29 a botch, then 30/31 good pulls?

Im not saying the tuner doesnt know anything, I never said that, I just said that there was something else wrong besides the cam. Ive been doing this stuff WAY too long to take your results, from Tick in North Carolina to Justune in KC, where the baseline dyno was weeks prior with a combo that Was RIDDEN with issues.

Sorry dude. This is not a scientific test, and you cant claim 125 hp gain from a cam swap like this when you have no control over anything else with the setup. You cant even tell me what timing was, or what the day was like, or anything!

Oh, and please, watch your mouth in your PMs. I might be an old timer, but Im still young, and still learning I you can pound that keyboard all you want, but it doesnt fix the issue that there is more to the puzzle than you think.

Dear Louis,

You have received a new private message at LS1TECH from Martin@Tick, entitled "...".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
if you have a problem with me take it up now.

If not I'd prefer you stop now before you **** me off.

Here's your graphs:

Image: http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...ie06/photo.jpg

Image: http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...06/photo-1.png
Old 10-26-2012, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Fwiw, I'm not saying the new cam didn't pick up any power (for the most part a significantly larger cam would) but not much can be taken from this without-

-clean pulls to redline with proper fueling with both the old and new cams
-making sure the old cam was installed with the correct ICL
Old 10-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

That old cam was retarded...............

Seriously though. It would have been interesting to just advance the old cam 6 degrees and see the results.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:20 PM
FormerVendor

Your haters are right here, but I dont camp out on the computer all day. Im in the shop, not browsing the internetz and wondering why I have not responded in an hour

There is a dip in the torque curve of the baseline dyno. Is that from a cam with issues? Not from my experience. You know that too Martin.

I might sound like an *******, but you are not providing everyone with the information. When I call bullshit, its for a good reason.

That setup was definitely not ironed out before the cam was changed. Dont let that take away from your cam dude, but your going about it the wrong way!

When I test a cam Martin, and I make claims of 125 hp gains, First of all, its the same car, same day trying to evaluate the cam. Not fix the setup.

Why was run 29 a botch, then 30/31 good pulls?

Im not saying the tuner doesnt know anything, I never said that, I just said that there was something else wrong besides the cam. Ive been doing this stuff WAY too long to take your results, from Tick in North Carolina to Justune in KC, where the baseline dyno was weeks prior with a combo that Was RIDDEN with issues.

Sorry dude. This is not a scientific test, and you cant claim 125 hp gain from a cam swap like this when you have no control over anything else with the setup. You cant even tell me what timing was, or what the day was like, or anything!

Oh, and please, watch your mouth in your PMs. I might be an old timer, but Im still young, and still learning I you can pound that keyboard all you want, but it doesnt fix the issue that there is more to the puzzle than you think.
You responded twice within one morning, then say your in the shop all day?

First you degrade me saying I haven't been around long enough with no track record and then you try and bring me back up by saying I know this stuff? Which is it...it's either one or the other.

What information do you want to know??? The owner of the car, you know the one that was in the car the whole time it was being dyno'd right next to the tuner told you that nothing changed....I guess he's a liar too.

So in your infinite wisdom what is wrong? I'm all ears...

You cannot and will not tell me something, act like you acted by telling me I talk out of my *** and then try and "school" me on what is true and what isn't, you're acting like your on a goddamn high horse and that no one but the almighty Louis at LG WHO WON'T EVEN RELEASE HIS CAM SPECS TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC IS TELLING ME I'M WRONG? HAH!

I never cursed once to you or spoke ill, if you're as old as you say you are you should be man enough and wise enough to not drag something out in front of everyone on a public forum and take it to PM's, but since you want to do it the hard way I'm game!

I've been on this site since 09' I am not new to this game. Do you not think that people of your caliber saw the potential in my work and decided hey I want him to work for me, and look what it's gaining them! You seem to have a huge problem with that!

And just so I didn't make it clear I don't give a **** what you think! I've talked to the owner enough times to know what happened during the dyno pulls and NOTHING CHANGED!!!!! You weren't there how can you even know?!?!?!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+100000

Originally Posted by louis
martin, with all due respect, you just talk out your *** sometimes and you put your .02$ in every thread. Thats all i still think you are cool, but you can be annoying as **** online!

Afr was not the same. Was timing the same? Were the conditions the same? Was the trans changed, was it locked vs unlocked?

You know as well as i do, with a setup like this, the tuning will make or break it. Im not saying the tuner doesnt know his **** either, but between a few degrees of timing, a point or two of afr and some better weather, you can easily pick up 100-150 hp.

As far as not needing to spin it higher to take advantage of the cam? You just added 20* of overlap, not to mention, its probably not even out of blower yet, so its still climbing. Spin it another 1000 rpm and itll pick up another 100hp!

Louis
Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Teching In

The problem with run 29 was when I got the IC issues ironed out. The tuner... You know what I'm tired of explaining my self over and over..

From one cam to the other there was 125hp. Pick it apart all you want but the proof is right there!

Fact is Martin seen something in my setup that could easily be changed. Brought it to my attention and even guaranteed me a power increase. Asked me if 400$ was worth 50-75 extra HP. Most certainly! And tadaa! I see 125hp!

Martin knew what he was talking about, took the time to explain his theory.. Great customer service and didn't BULLSHIT me one bit.. Had new cam in a few days after ordering.

And to me Louis you are sitting behind your computer. You sure responded quick. And let me tell ya your not getting any business from this thread so you better get out in your shop and bust some knuckles..
Old 10-26-2012, 03:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Clinc
The problem with run 29 was when I got the IC issues ironed out. The tuner... You know what I'm tired of explaining my self over and over..

From one cam to the other there was 125hp. Pick it apart all you want but the proof is right there!

Fact is Martin seen something in my setup that could easily be changed. Brought it to my attention and even guaranteed me a power increase. Asked me if 400$ was worth 50-75 extra HP. Most certainly! And tadaa! I see 125hp!

Martin knew what he was talking about, took the time to explain his theory.. Great customer service and didn't BULLSHIT me one bit.. Had new cam in a few days after ordering.

And to me Louis you are sitting behind your computer. You sure responded quick. And let me tell ya your not getting any business from this thread so you better get out in your shop and bust some knuckles..

That is EPIC right there!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Looks good dude! Interesting center lines for the added duration I and E. I am not familiar with those heads, what is the valve size to CC ratio?

One thing that i know of from experience is that spread LSA's on ratios that are more realistic compared to BBC's is that they provide wider efficiency outside of the designed powerband which allows you to cross the line at a higher given RPM without any sudden drop offs. Being FI the bottom end of the power band is what matters, interesting that you were able to compensate by the installed degree choice. I've been messing with 105 ICL's on 108 LSA's for BBC NA builds lately and see some interesting results. Love that you close the IVE a bit earlier to help build DCR in order to compensate for his build. Although i am not too familiar with the EVC event existing at 121 - i do not know much about FI designs.

He picked up more HP from a cam swap then my old work truck has all together. Not bad for $400
Old 10-26-2012, 03:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SS10Tech
Looks good dude! Interesting center lines for the added duration I and E. I am not familiar with those heads, what is the valve size to CC ratio?

One thing that i know of from experience is that spread LSA's on ratios that are more realistic compared to BBC's is that they provide wider efficiency outside of the designed powerband which allows you to cross the line at a higher given RPM without any sudden drop offs. Being FI the bottom end of the power band is what matters, interesting that you were able to compensate by the installed degree choice. I've been messing with 105 ICL's on 108 LSA's for BBC NA builds lately and see some interesting results. Love that you close the IVE a bit earlier to help build DCR in order to compensate for his build. Although i am not too familiar with the EVC event existing at 121 - i do not know much about FI designs.

He picked up more HP from a cam swap then my old work truck has all together. Not bad for $400
The main reason for the 111ICL was to build DCR and open the intake valve earlier without using a larger intake lobe to do the same thing and gaining too much overlap in the process. The Hi-ram needs an earlier IVO event for proper cylinder filling on the intake stroke with the short intake runner it has. Centrifugal blowers by mechanical design will make for a peakier power curve so I couldn't get carried away with the IVC event on top of the short intake runner, large intake valve and large intake runner.

You're dead on with the wider LSA comment. It will open the exhaust valve earlier carrying the torque curve further out past peak torque before it begins to sharply decline. A blower motor has a lot of force acting upon the piston right before the exhaust valve opens after the compression stroke takes place so you can really get away with a pretty stupid EVO event, but you have to be careful as if you open too early you will be breaking **** much like the Top Fuel cars do from doing the same thing...only to a much lesser extent in terms of degrees.

The intake valve is 2.2" in diameter and the intake runner is 270cc IIRC, but I'd have to look at my notes again to be 100%. Whatever ratio that works out to be...

The 121ecl is just a by-product of the 5 degrees of intake centerline advance and helps to move the exhaust valve event earlier without adding duration and gaining overlap. Looking back at it now, I'd actually like to knock some overlap out of it, but the main reason I wasn't afraid of the amount of overlap is due to the size of the blower. He's got a lot of blower to utilize that's for sure!
Old 10-26-2012, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
You responded twice within one morning, then say your in the shop all day?
Considering I have 4000 posts in 10 years, and you have 1500 posts in 8 months. Its clearly obvious who spends more time on the computer! Or maybe its clearly obvious who feels the need to voice their opinion more!

First you degrade me saying I haven't been around long enough with no track record and then you try and bring me back up by saying I know this stuff? Which is it...it's either one or the other.
I dont have a problem with the cam, I have a problem that you claim a 125 hp claim when the combo wasnt right.

What information do you want to know??? The owner of the car, you know the one that was in the car the whole time it was being dyno'd right next to the tuner told you that nothing changed....I guess he's a liar too.
I never called anyone a liar.

So in your infinite wisdom what is wrong? I'm all ears...
I would say belt slip? What do the logs look like? That blower, being spun to that speed, should not lose torque at 5000.

You cannot and will not tell me something, act like you acted by telling me I talk out of my *** and then try and "school" me on what is true and what isn't, you're acting like your on a goddamn high horse and that no one but the almighty Louis at LG WHO WON'T EVEN RELEASE HIS CAM SPECS TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC IS TELLING ME I'M WRONG? HAH!
Because that cam, that was in there, is not that far off. Its not dude! The original cam was not an issue!

I never cursed once to you or spoke ill, if you're as old as you say you are you should be man enough and wise enough to not drag something out in front of everyone on a public forum and take it to PM's, but since you want to do it the hard way I'm game!
You said in your PM you better stop before I **** you off. What the **** does that mean? I better lay low? I better not call bullshit on your "Cam I made" thread? No way. Remove your claim of 125 hp, and I think everyone will stop laughing at you.

I've been on this site since 09' I am not new to this game. Do you not think that people of your caliber saw the potential in my work and decided hey I want him to work for me, and look what it's gaining them! You seem to have a huge problem with that!
I see a young kid who cares about his car more than anything in life, and was offered a job that related to it, and he might be able to work on his car after hours and get parts cheap. thats what I see. I see no "Tech" in anything you have done.

Your new line of "turbo" cams? They are 1* bigger than Speed incs stuff. Oh yea, you took over his thread and derailed it too. I guess you are an expert now?

And just so I didn't make it clear I don't give a **** what you think! I've talked to the owner enough times to know what happened during the dyno pulls and NOTHING CHANGED!!!!! You weren't there how can you even know?!?!?!
You were not there either, I dont have to be. I can tell by the graphs that there were other issues. Maybe there was a cracked plug that got removed during the cam swap and they didnt know it? May be they reset belt tension when they did the cam? maybe they put a new belt on after the cam?! Maybe!! Lots of variables!!! What does the boost curve look like?!

Maybe if you had more science and tech in your post, and less bullshit, I might have respected it more.

Originally Posted by Clinc

I dont get much business from this site as a whole, I do it because I enjoy it. Anyone could have told you that there was an issue. Difference is, had I been asked, I wouldnt have been so quick to disregard the cam as the culprit. I would have asked to see the timing table, what plugs, whats the boost curve look like, what the trans doing, can I see a converter slip log before I tried to sell you on a cam, because that cam was not far off. That car would have easily made more power with the current setup. Maybe the cats were clogged? Maybe it doesnt have cats?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...s-427-f1x.html <--- That car has a 231/239 118+2 cam in it. Now you tell me, do you really. Really. Really think that itll pick up 125 rwhp and make 12 psi?

Nope. It wont.

Carry on.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Martin I wouldn't sweat it.

Greatness is rarely understood.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:09 PM
FormerVendor

Considering I have 4000 posts in 10 years, and you have 1500 posts in 8 months. Its clearly obvious who spends more time on the computer! Or maybe its clearly obvious who feels the need to voice their opinion more!

I dont have a problem with the cam, I have a problem that you claim a 125 hp claim when the combo wasnt right.

I never called anyone a liar.

I would say belt slip? What do the logs look like? That blower, being spun to that speed, should not lose torque at 5000.

Because that cam, that was in there, is not that far off. Its not dude! The original cam was not an issue!

You said in your PM you better stop before I **** you off. What the **** does that mean? I better lay low? I better not call bullshit on your "Cam I made" thread? No way. Remove your claim of 125 hp, and I think everyone will stop laughing at you.

I see a young kid who cares about his car more than anything in life, and was offered a job that related to it, and he might be able to work on his car after hours and get parts cheap. thats what I see. I see no "Tech" in anything you have done.

Your new line of "turbo" cams? They are 1* bigger than Speed incs stuff. Oh yea, you took over his thread and derailed it too. I guess you are an expert now?

You were not there either, I dont have to be. I can tell by the graphs that there were other issues. Maybe there was a cracked plug that got removed during the cam swap and they didnt know it? May be they reset belt tension when they did the cam? maybe they put a new belt on after the cam?! Maybe!! Lots of variables!!! What does the boost curve look like?!

Maybe if you had more science and tech in your post, and less bullshit, I might have respected it more.

I dont get much business from this site as a whole, I do it because I enjoy it. Anyone could have told you that there was an issue. Difference is, had I been asked, I wouldnt have been so quick to disregard the cam as the culprit. I would have asked to see the timing table, what plugs, whats the boost curve look like, what the trans doing, can I see a converter slip log before I tried to sell you on a cam, because that cam was not far off. That car would have easily made more power with the current setup. Maybe the cats were clogged? Maybe it doesnt have cats?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...s-427-f1x.html <--- That car has a 231/239 118+2 cam in it. Now you tell me, do you really. Really. Really think that itll pick up 125 rwhp and make 12 psi?

Nope. It wont.

Carry on.
I used to respect you, your work and your testing.

You've lost all of that now, and from the messages I'm getting I'm not the only one.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not a business owner, but I'd think to save face for both of you, I'd take it to PM's.

Quick Reply: F1X cam I did