Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F1X cam I did

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiousity....

Can anyone tell me what was so wrong with the first cam and being used with the F1X?

I am no cam guru but from my minimal knowledge, I just don't understand what made the first cam so bad and so weak on power..

To be honest, the specs on the first cam are not all that much different then a few other well known "blower" cams that are well praised and proven.

Is it more an of issue with the head design? Or just to do with it being a "big" blower?

I know we have some local blower cars down here that have made well into the 850-900 rwhp range with WAAAAAYYYY less cam then the second cam in this thread so....I am just trying to learn what makes a BAD blower cam...
Old 10-30-2012, 08:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Thanks Slowhawk!

New pistons are the next item on the list and we're shooting for 10.2:1 static and somewhere in the 7.2-7.4:1 range for dynamic. With an A2W and E85 it needs some compression!

It's interesting you say to use MPH, my graphs always looks very flat and broad when I use MPH versus engine RPM, but that is something I will start doing for our customers so they have both MPH and engine RPM.

Thanks for the kind words Don!
Rpm is good for manual cars. MPH is good for stalled auto cars.

My car graph will rpm from 4500-6600 rpm and just go straight up. Switched to mph I get a nice long graph from 70mph to 170mph. Alot easier to compare runs.

Cams? There are a million out there. Tested alot of them throughout the years and still learning. I use to go by valve event's but rarely do now because I've seen some weird stuff. My blower cams are not the norm here since I mostly shoot for down low/midrange power.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Out of curiousity....

Can anyone tell me what was so wrong with the first cam and being used with the F1X?

I am no cam guru but from my minimal knowledge, I just don't understand what made the first cam so bad and so weak on power..

To be honest, the specs on the first cam are not all that much different then a few other well known "blower" cams that are well praised and proven.

Is it more an of issue with the head design? Or just to do with it being a "big" blower?

I know we have some local blower cars down here that have made well into the 850-900 rwhp range with WAAAAAYYYY less cam then the second cam in this thread so....I am just trying to learn what makes a BAD blower cam...
Mainly has to do with the way that particular blower moves air.

The exhaust side was all wrong.... not enough evo... not enough duration.

He puts the right compression in it.... makes another cam adjustment(if he wants to) and its a 1200 rwhp without even spinning the blower past max rpm.

11:1 static with a 255 intake lobe Martin.... heh.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

13.5:1 compression
300 shot of nitrous

And you recommend TR6 plugs....yea you're an engine builder and for sure an expert!
My compression isn't 13.5
I didn't spray 300
And it wasn't tr6 plugs.

Maybe you don't have the knack for read stuff on the Internet you thought you did?

Sometimes **** gets burned up. At least I can tell you first hand how much nitrous you can spray on a tr6 plug and how much you cannot. That's the difference is I have some actual first hand experience. I'm not just out the regurgitating and guessing.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your buddy sprayed 400 on an 8 range and blew his up.
I have sprayed 350 on a 7
and 100 and 250 on a 6. Never melted plugs expect for a 250 on a 6range
and maybe melted some plugs but my **** drove and ran afterwards.. E85 ussually lets you get away with a bit more. Not like you would know that though, unless you started reading heavily on e85 here more recently?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
My compression isn't 13.5
I didn't spray 300
And it wasn't tr6 plugs.

Maybe you don't have the knack for read stuff on the Internet you thought you did?

Sometimes **** gets burned up. At least I can tell you first hand how much nitrous you can spray on a tr6 plug and how much you cannot. That's the difference is I have some actual first hand experience. I'm not just out the regurgitating and guessing.
I guess since I spray 300hp worth of jet myself and actually just did again yesterday on a -9 plug, and always have, that I can say you won't melt the straps off a plug like a snow cone in a furnace like you did putting TR6 plugs in a 13.5:1 compression motor let alone with 300hp worth of jet on it.

Anyone who does what you did and then boast about how right you were for doing so shouldn't be looking down on anyone else for their actions.

I'll find that post just to remind you of what you said.

Edit: Found them
https://ls1tech.com/forums/16539782-post13.html
Which was it 250 or 350?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/16348365-post11.html

Camscam also said that the 8 range plug was guess what...too hot.

Now, back to my ignore list.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 10-31-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Rpm is good for manual cars. MPH is good for stalled auto cars.

My car graph will rpm from 4500-6600 rpm and just go straight up. Switched to mph I get a nice long graph from 70mph to 170mph. Alot easier to compare runs.

Cams? There are a million out there. Tested alot of them throughout the years and still learning. I use to go by valve event's but rarely do now because I've seen some weird stuff. My blower cams are not the norm here since I mostly shoot for down low/midrange power.
I have to agree with Donny here, seen too many cams that people say won't work and shouldn't work but end up working real well.

Still waiting to see what the F1X can do though, seen only 1 car make 1100 plus on a LS and that was spinning it with a 8 rib belt.

So far I'm not sold that it is so much more effecient that a serpentine belt can push it. The biggger the wheel the harder it is to spin-plain and simple.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by eb02z06
I have to agree with Donny here, seen too many cams that people say won't work and shouldn't work but end up working real well.

Still waiting to see what the F1X can do though, seen only 1 car make 1100 plus on a LS and that was spinning it with a 8 rib belt.

So far I'm not sold that it is so much more effecient that a serpentine belt can push it. The biggger the wheel the harder it is to spin-plain and simple.
Hey Arun I guess because you haven't tested thousands of cams you don't know how to spec a cam either.....

I think ATV racer went 151mph on their 4th or 5th pass with their F1X combo.

I would like to see a cog set-up done for 5th gens and Corvettes that want to utilize the bigger blowers like the F1X, F2 etc...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
Your buddy sprayed 400 on an 8 range and blew his up.
I have sprayed 350 on a 7
and 100 and 250 on a 6. Never melted plugs expect for a 250 on a 6range
and maybe melted some plugs but my **** drove and ran afterwards.. E85 ussually lets you get away with a bit more. Not like you would know that though, unless you started reading heavily on e85 here more recently?
You mad bro? You seem pretty pissed that he showed proof of you being wrong, and you did something obviously quite silly.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM
8 Second Club

Hey Arun I guess because you haven't tested thousands of cams you don't know how to spec a cam either.....

I think ATV racer went 151mph on their 4th or 5th pass with their F1X combo.

I would like to see a cog set-up done for 5th gens and Corvettes that want to utilize the bigger blowers like the F1X, F2 etc...
I know of one C5 that has it on a Cog and F1X it only made 971-it was only spinning it around 64-65K-but if the blower is so badass I would of expected more. Only because the F1R is making the same on a 10 rib.

Similar F2 setups with a Cog are making 1100 rwhp +, with the same pulley combo.

Just cannot compare ATV racer's setup to any of the street setups-a whole different ball game from start to finish.

I have seen some strange things with HR cams, plastic/FAST intakes that I have no explanation for yet.

Right now I'm glad I didn't go through the F1X deal-I have enough headaches with my YSi this season.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 AM
FormerVendor

I know of one C5 that has it on a Cog and F1X it only made 971-it was only spinning it around 64-65K-but if the blower is so badass I would of expected more. Only because the F1R is making the same on a 10 rib.

Similar F2 setups with a Cog are making 1100 rwhp +, with the same pulley combo.

Just cannot compare ATV racer's setup to any of the street setups-a whole different ball game from start to finish.

I have seen some strange things with HR cams, plastic/FAST intakes that I have no explanation for yet.

Right now I'm glad I didn't go through the F1X deal-I have enough headaches with my YSi this season.
You're right we really can't compare their gear driven set-up with 360cc intake runner heads, 461 cubes and the amount of compression their motor has to a street set-up. Very impressive still what hey have done for sure.

Something Brian has always told me with the Fast intakes and he has mentioned in here is over-scavenging on the intake stroke, maybe this is the cause of some of the strange things you have been seeing? Can you elaborate?

I think the guys in X275 are over-spinning the blower by a good margin, but that is only a guess. Just basing Aaron's blower speed against the one you speak of they are very close and making nearly the same power.

Are you over spinning your YSi? Your set-up has always impressed me a lot.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 AM
9 Second Club

Wow... didnt think threads like this were allowed on LS1tech.

LMAO !

Martin I need a cam that picks me up 125hp also.

Our F1x set up is a terd compared to the Bruders.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

bro didnt you hear that the new paradigm for being a custom cam expert is

" talk to this guy, email that guy, see what they say about the profiles, link it with the image I have in my head of what the cam should look like, and spit out a cam, since of course I was born with the knowledge of specing cams."

dont do it the old fashioned way man. no need to test anything. no need to have ever built or raced a supercharged combo.
the internetz has given us all we need to all be custom cam experts.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 AM
8 Second Club

You're right we really can't compare their gear driven set-up with 360cc intake runner heads, 461 cubes and the amount of compression their motor has to a street set-up. Very impressive still what hey have done for sure.

Something Brian has always told me with the Fast intakes and he has mentioned in here is over-scavenging on the intake stroke, maybe this is the cause of some of the strange things you have been seeing? Can you elaborate?

I think the guys in X275 are over-spinning the blower by a good margin, but that is only a guess. Just basing Aaron's blower speed against the one you speak of they are very close and making nearly the same power.

Are you over spinning your YSi? Your set-up has always impressed me a lot.
You know that combo I posted up a little while ago that made 975 on a 402? See how it was done at 6500?

Well some folks seem to think it was because the blower was out of air. But looking at the logs the blower made 255 kpa at 6500 and 267 at 7000-so it wasn't out of air.

So what held it up at 6500?

I'm spinning my YSi to 73K-overpsinning it according to Vortech-but the Renegade guys say it will continue to keep making power to 80K. Factor in 5-10% on belt slip and it should have more left.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr

LMAO !

Hey guys just started playin-when you sort it out the F1X will be banned and you'll back to running a F1R.

I don't know how you guys keep up with the rule changes!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

LMAO !

I'm not going to run to the administration and tell them to make everyone leave me alone.

Hell if I did a cam for you guys there would be no more LS engines allowed!

71 chevy: We probably install at least 15-20 A&A Vortech blower kits every year and that is just on Corvettes. We probably install at least 30 if not more centrifugal kits a year in total and we know what works and what doesn't. Thanks for your concern though.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 10-31-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 PM
9 Second Club

Hey guys just started playin-when you sort it out the F1X will be banned and you'll back to running a F1R.

I don't know how you guys keep up with the rule changes!
We have an F1r on the car now. (Big thanks to Justin Smith for lending it to us !!)
Wish we had a chance to do some testing before the race this weekend.

1/4 mile at World Cup should be fun... hope to see some 7.50's

Its not cool, now were almost having to try and guess what combo will be outlawed next.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM
9 Second Club

I'm not going to run to the administration and tell them to make everyone leave me alone.

Hell if I did a cam for you guys their would be no more LS engines allowed!
LOL @ both answers !
Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

LOL @ both answers !
He called me a name please make him stop, he told me I'm an idiot, please make him stop......

What's funny is when some of the guys that are now calling me an idiot, have asked me for help so many times I can't count on two hands the instances.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know that combo I posted up a little while ago that made 975 on a 402? See how it was done at 6500?

Well some folks seem to think it was because the blower was out of air. But looking at the logs the blower made 255 kpa at 6500 and 267 at 7000-so it wasn't out of air.

So what held it up at 6500?

I'm spinning my YSi to 73K-overpsinning it according to Vortech-but the Renegade guys say it will continue to keep making power to 80K. Factor in 5-10% on belt slip and it should have more left.
Odds are... lack of csa in the intake port and/or manifold putting the port into a sonic choke situation.

Too early of an ivc point.

Stevie Fast was asked about the motor in his ODR car once... his reply was that it was the biggest and baddest nitrous motor he could build.... then he stuck a blower on it....

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm......

Quick Reply: F1X cam I did