Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What is so magical about turboing a stock 5.3 liter LM7??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01snake
What year 5.3 wicked?
The first one was out of a 2003 suburban, and this latest one was out of a 2000 Silverado.

Also for what it is worth. We were going to open the ring gap but when we checked the first piston the ring gap was already .024 or so. It had already loosened up so we left them alone. That engine had only like 64k in miles and my newest one has 180k. I am probably pushing it a little with the higher mileage. I would think a 5.3 in the 100k range would probably be perfect for boost, but we will see.

When my engine went it pretty much destroyed it. What was interesting was when we pulled the pan the arp rods were still connected to the crank, but the rods were completely missing for the most part. You could tell they had twisted until they snapped but again, I only had a 2 bar tune and we took a chance trying 23lbs of boost. We got two passes out of it. The first pass, I ended up in the other lane and in front of my buddies Nova and he went 5.87 so we knew we had a 5 sec pass but didn't have a slip to prove it. The next pass we ran by ourselves since it was hard to keep the car in one lane. We had a great launch and when it went it I knew I still had a chance and tried to stay into it with no avail.

I am not for sure but I would think twin 70's with the .68 AR would be about perfect for these 5.3's. I want to find out.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you happen to get a look at your afr's when it blew? guessing the engine leaned out due to the 2 bar map
Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Do you have any idea how much hp you make?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I meant to say the ARP rod bolts were still there but the middle portion of the rods were gone.

I have no idea on horsepower. It had to be something pretty crazy though. My 498 that dyno'd 816 flywheel horsepower only pushed the car to a best of 109 mph and most the time it was 105mph. The twins and stock 5.3 pretty much ran 118mph all the time unless I hit the rev limiter and that would absoulutely kill the et. and mph.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was not data logging on those passes. The car was running well and it was blowing some smoke out the exhaust and we thought the motor was hurt. Since it was I figured it was going to go anyways and turned up the boost. I shouldn't have. We now think the white smoke was only because the turbo was going bad and was getting oil into the down pipe and causing the smoke. You live and you learn.

Quick Reply: What is so magical about turboing a stock 5.3 liter LM7??