Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

which mig welder

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya exactly, they sell a spool gun for it but I don't have it. My buddy got one and once he gets it up n runnin I'm gonna mess with it and see how it welds.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My vendor for weld supplies has told me a few months back that recently Miller has started using a lot of cheap china junk parts in their welders. Where I work we have quite a few welders 40 or so, all Millers. The ones recently purchased I have had 2 wire feed controllers bad, and just sent another out because the controller for the wire feeder randomly shuts off. Damn China junk.

Im actually edaling with this today... an email back from a large reputable vendor.. They are a very large Miller dealer and they are telling me to start buying Lincolns. Im glad my Miller syncrowave at home was purchased before this. Im going to find out more about this and i'll post it.

When the unit “shuts off” can you still trigger it and the meters are just off or is the whole thing dead? We have seen some of these recently where the meter boards have gone out.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you guys buy a welder from a pawn shop? I just found the Hobart 140 it looks new in the ad appearance wise. Its for sale for $425 .
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

MILLER MILLER MILLER!!!!!!! I currently own 3 miller welders and absolutely love them. I have the miller 140, 210, and econotig and they are all excellent machines. I recommend the 210. It I plug in to a 110v or 220v outlet and is very easy to use.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Personally, for forced induction (the forum you're posting in) or suspension, an AC/DC TIG is the only machine I use on a regular basis. It might be slower then "spray and pray" with the MIG, but if you're a halfway decent welder, you'll spend more time cutting and notching then actually welding anyway.

If you can afford it an old Synchro or Idealarc are the way to go. Inverters suck... They're just big money pits. Also keep in mind that if you buy an Idealarc or Synchro, you can always get your money back out of a single phase machine or even make money on it.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've never welded in my life. Just figure I'd ask about the Hobart unit since I found one local and it fits the price range. Ill try to find a Miller, the only problem with Miller would be price. Cheapest one I've found cost 1200. Ill keep looking though
Old 11-07-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

My Miller 140 was $650 shipped off eBay. Just make sure it's a shop your buying from like I did. Got it 3 days later.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Solid and reliable set-up!!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its identical to the Hobart in appearance, ill try and look for a Miller if the price is right ill go Miller. But the goal is to get one by Friday to start work on the Turbo build. I'm sick of waiting to drive my Camaro. If you guys found a Miller at a pawn shop would you purchase it
Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Miller - Hobart ... same company (don't believe me ... Google is your friend)

With that said, don't buy a welder from a Pawn Shop ...especially at a 95% of the cost for a brand new unit!

I own a Hobart (have for years) and until recently had a Miller 140 along with it. Both are great units for the dollar (pretty much identical BUT the Miller uses better parts for things like the rollers, Mig Gun/Trigger).

I sold the Miller recently and and bought a Thermal Arc 181i (Tig, Mig, Stick and a Spool Gun) to go along with the Hobart. I had used a friends 230 machine and really liked the power and duty cycle of the 230.

I'd suggest you look around and read a bit more (welding web dot com is a great] place to spend some time on) before purchasing.
Stick to the known brands (Lincoln, Miller, Hobart) and buy the most welder you can afford (trust me when I say you'll always find something to use it for once you have it).
Old 11-07-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Houston ALEX. I'm going with the 140 unit from northerntool dot com. For the warranty and its new. I'm not going to get it used. I'd rather have a warranty and not need it. Then have no warranty and need it. Ill post pictures of my welds when I get it. Its my first welder/time welding
Old 11-07-2012, 04:27 PM

Default Lwanda consultant

Hi 2 all users,

When I read you post I thought you were talking about a person who makes and designs RAGE broad-heads. for more information please log onto
<a href="http://www.lwanda-co.com/">Lwanda Consultant Engineering</a>

Thank you,
Lwanda Consultant Engineering

Quick Reply: which mig welder