Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill be around 18 psi and meth only once I ever get get time to finish mine
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
Plenty of Buick guys run meth only. Go check it out on their forums.
Have any links handy to any good examples? I'd like to read up on how they are doing it without spending a whole day sorting through the chaff.... Lol
Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=448665

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=369562

You can also do direct port meth if you wanna be cool
Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is a rear mount custom STS turbo so they don't produce the same heat as a blower but I do not run an intercooler. I simply run water/meth and that comes in around 3lb boost. It was worth 50hp at the wheels.

My IAT on a normal 64-68F day range typically from 82F to 97F during highway driving with the higher number reached under boost or around town. If in city traffic, that can climb to 115F, never seen it higher than 125F, but not raced it yet either. I use twin nozzles for a 50/50 water/meth mix.

As you are running much more boost than me, I'd be thinking of a big front mount plus water/meth as other have suggested. Alternatively a multi staged system.

Best nozzle placement is after blower but before throttle body - at least 12" away or more if possible to give it time to mix with the air and go in evenly (ie. too close and you can get uneven mix to some cylinders which could bring on detonation in the cylinders not getting enough).
Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bazman
Best nozzle placement is after blower but before throttle body - at least 12" away or more if possible to give it time to mix with the air and go in evenly (ie. too close and you can get uneven mix to some cylinders which could bring on detonation in the cylinders not getting enough).
i wonder about this, there are alot of people running the nozzle in the carb hat. i would really like for info on placement.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The only time having a nozzle placed close to the throttle body is bad is when there are individual runners inside the manifold. If not then right before is best. This stuff atomizes instantly. The quick atomization is the reason meth is sprayed pre-compressor with no worry of compressor erosion. BTW this is with 100% meth. Once you start diluting its all a guessing game.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
The only time having a nozzle placed close to the throttle body is bad is when there are individual runners inside the manifold. If not then right before is best. This stuff atomizes instantly. The quick atomization is the reason meth is sprayed pre-compressor with no worry of compressor erosion. BTW this is with 100% meth. Once you start diluting its all a guessing game.
pre-compressor cools the IAT but Pre TB provides in-cylinder cooling. Both are good and can combine as a staged event, but in-cylinder is best and equal distribution adds even more. A distance between nozzle and TB does help, it is not instant and if you configured each individual cylinders via 8 O2 sensors or 8 EGT's this would show up. Having said that, 600rwhp at 5psi boost is bloody good and I will now shut up
Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Steve Morris builds these pump gas 1600whp supercharged big blocks with water/meth instead of an intercooler. I remember reading that he prefers to spray the water/meth into the compressor because he says it helps to seal up the clearances between the vanes and compressor housing.

I'm planning on trying out the meth injection rather than an intercooler, but I'm still a long way from getting any results.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from price, would you say that NOS would be better for cooling off IAT's than METH?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

I've ran a few set-ups (non ls motors) with no intercoolers on e85. yes, high intake temps, but the cooling/detonation resistance/octane of e85 offset the high temps. Infact, I DD'd them and did many, many back to back full boost pulls on them on hot summer days. high timing. zero issues.

and nitrous is around -125*f (where nitrous boils [changes from liquid to gas]) @ the solenoid when spraying.

And sraying water/meth (a liquid) into a compressor will also artificially increase the compressor map as it will give the compressor wheel more surface area....similar purpose of a batmowheel

Last edited by TurboMark8; 11-26-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

mine, the blue tape on the manifold is my ait sensor

Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboMark8
I've ran a few set-ups (non ls motors) with no intercoolers on e85. yes, high intake temps, but the cooling/detonation resistance/octane of e85 offset the high temps. Infact, I DD'd them and did many, many back to back full boost pulls on them on hot summer days. high timing. zero issues.

and nitrous is around -125*f (where nitrous boils [changes from liquid to gas]) @ the solenoid when spraying.

And sraying water/meth (a liquid) into a compressor will also artificially increase the compressor map as it will give the compressor wheel more surface area....similar purpose of a batmowheel
So yes nitrous would work well? Sine I am running a victor jr with elbow, I was thinking of running a plate system
Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

im undecided...ive seen some of the 2 stage meth kits. maybe one nozzle pre blower to help keep the blower and piping cool and one closer to the throttle body to help keep some nice coolness close to the cylinders. i dunno so many options. I do have a small simple single figger nos kit but the higher octane methenol is key!!

Quick Reply: Intercooled vs straight pipe???