Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Keep a/c with truck/c6 mani's. (come in if you run a down-pipe under stock k-member)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Keep a/c with truck/c6 mani's. (come in if you run a down-pipe under stock k-member)

Plan-Using a C6 manifold on the passenger side I cut my huron speed hot side piping on the passenger side and weld a new pipe from there to the manifold

Than I cut the down pipe and weld a pipe to it rerouting it underneath the k-member as close as possible and hope I don't have ground clearance?

This would be to keep the a/c compressor in the original position. And keep radiator, condesnor and all that in stock position. All that would need to be
moved is the alternator (wich comes with huron speed kit) and the fans would have to be replaced with pusher fans.

Last edited by sweet99ss; 11-10-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you'd like driving your car much with a 3" downpipe running underneath the K member
Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by evo462
I don't think you'd like driving your car much with a 3" downpipe running underneath the K member
Why? I already went and did a pepsi can measurement. My LT headers are much lower to the ground than my k-member. I wasn't even close to getting a pop can under my lt's and the pop can barely fits under the k-member. Not to mention I have qa1's up front so I could raise it up a little bit closer to stock height. I mean as long as I raised it up enuf to where it won't scrap on speed bumps and stuff I don't see the problem? Plus less heat going up in the engine compartment.

Last edited by sweet99ss; 11-13-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wtf is "pop"
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Why not soda pop?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If keeping the A/C is this big of a deal to you, these are the only ideas I have:

1 - Delete the power steering, run a manual rack with some skinnys up front and use a custom kwik accessory bracket like this.

2 - Sell the hot side for this kit and design your own.

3 - Sell the hot side and wait for Jon to release the A/C kit.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
If keeping the A/C is this big of a deal to you, these are the only ideas I have:

1 - Delete the power steering, run a manual rack with some skinnys up front and use a custom kwik accessory bracket like this.

2 - Sell the hot side for this kit and design your own.

3 - Sell the hot side and wait for Jon to release the A/C kit.
I think I'm gonna do what's posted above. Kinda like your number 2 only I will keep the hotside and just fab it to work. I don't think cutting the pipe and welding in a new peice to line up with the c6 manifold like the pic I posted above. And than I think I will just cut the down pipe and run it under the k-member.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:25 AM
12 Second Club

Need to think about the suspension travel not just sticking a pop can under the k-member and calling it good. The headers were further back and that part of the car didn't squat as far as it will more forward. There is a reason why no one builds a kit that runs pipes under the k-member.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like way too many compromises to me. To fit A/C with C6 and Truck Mani's, you really cannot use the stock k-member, not enough space for all the piping. Unless as you mentioned, run it under the K-member which I would never even think to do.

Also, as I mentioned to you already, we plan on offering a upgrade kit to all current kit owners to swap over to parts to retain A/C once the A/C is released! You will need an aftermarket K though.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 11-10-2012, 06:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Need to think about the suspension travel not just sticking a pop can under the k-member and calling it good. The headers were further back and that part of the car didn't squat as far as it will more forward. There is a reason why no one builds a kit that runs pipes under the k-member.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 11-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Superman09
Sounds like way too many compromises to me. To fit A/C with C6 and Truck Mani's, you really cannot use the stock k-member, not enough space for all the piping. Unless as you mentioned, run it under the K-member which I would never even think to do.

Also, as I mentioned to you already, we plan on offering a upgrade kit to all current kit owners to swap over to parts to retain A/C once the A/C is released! You will need an aftermarket K though.
In the process of having same plan done, retain A/C. We are going this route, need the C6 manifold right now. I installed a UMI k-member.
Attached Thumbnails Keep a/c with truck/c6 mani's. (come in if you run a down-pipe under stock k-member)-niagra-falls-9-28-12-009.jpg  
Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

My 3 inch down pipe is under the k member and I'm ride at stock ride height. Never had an issue with it until I went through a dip a little too fast (80 mph) and my soft 300lb springs dropped and scraped on it some. Didn't hurt nothing though
Old 11-10-2012, 03:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09

The way I see it is I won't be able to to use the piping coming off the manifolds if I would do the upgrade kit anyway so if I try this way out and it doesn't work or I don't like the down pipe clearance I can always do the upgrade kit.

Originally Posted by laytoncamaroz28
My 3 inch down pipe is under the k member and I'm ride at stock ride height. Never had an issue with it until I went through a dip a little too fast (80 mph) and my soft 300lb springs dropped and scraped on it some. Didn't hurt nothing though
Hey man could you take some pics of the clearance for me ? I would like to get some ideas on where to route it
Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
wtf is "pop"
I'm from Chicago so I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrPotatoeHead
I'm from Chicago so I see nothing wrong with it.
I'm from Kansas and I say "pop". My friend came from Arizona and he says "soda". Just depends where you are I guess lol
Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Here is a pic I found of a guy running down-pipe on stock k-member. That would be plenty of clearance for me.

Last edited by sweet99ss; 11-10-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Interesting setup.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
^ Interesting setup.
Yea I think that's how I'll try to do mine, but on the other side.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could run a section of oval pipe under the lowest point, basically cuts the diameter of the pipe in half, which would give you a little more than an inch more clearance. Something like this is a nice piece, from spintech.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/uniq...prod_1062.html
Old 11-11-2012, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jakson
You could run a section of oval pipe under the lowest point, basically cuts the diameter of the pipe in half, which would give you a little more than an inch more clearance. Something like this is a nice piece, from spintech.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/uniq...prod_1062.html
Wow that is a great help! Definitely going to use one of these when I do it. Any idea how much it is? It says 0 by the price and when I went to checkout said I couldn't purchase for some reason. Thanks for posting this up!

Quick Reply: Keep a/c with truck/c6 mani's. (come in if you run a down-pipe under stock k-member)