Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil Priming Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Priming Problem

Alright guys, I'm just about ready to push my car into a river! I tried priming it last several times untill the battery was just about to begin to slow down, but still no sign of pressure, I then checked the turbo oil drain lines to see if there's any sign of oil...but there's nothing. I tried it againseveral times this morning 'till the battery went all the way down...still no pressure and still no sign of oil in the turbo's oil drain lines. And yes it has motor oil in it, lol! I did pour 5 1/2 qt of Brad Penn 30w break-in motor oil last night prior to initial priming. New shortblock has a new Melling 10295 oil pump with the high pressure spring in it. Anybody ran into this kind of problem before when priming?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably left the barbell out of the oil galley behind the rear cover, pinched o-ring on the oil pickup or forgot the oil galley plug behind the front cover that is just like a knock in freeze plug. DO NOT start the engine. If it wont make oil pressure with the starter it wont
Who assembled the engine from short block to long?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had problems with that before. The last time I removed the oil galley plug near the oil pump and attached a rubber hose and funnel. I filled the funnel and galley with oil and then manually rotated the engine backwards a few turns. This causes the pump to pump backwards and fill the pickup tube. After that it pumped oil right away. You can leave the funnel there and turn over the motor. Oil should immediately fill the funnel, if it does remove the funnel and put the plug back in.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Teching In

I had a similar issue, new engine. I brought it up to my engine builder and he let me use his engine prelubricator. After using, it now has oil pressue a little after it starts cranking.

It kind of looks like this
http://www.agkits.com/Engine-Pre-Lub...MP=101WRCM44FC

Good Luck
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koolrayz
Probably left the barbell out of the oil galley behind the rear cover, pinched o-ring on the oil pickup or forgot the oil galley plug behind the front cover that is just like a knock in freeze plug. DO NOT start the engine. If it wont make oil pressure with the starter it wont
Who assembled the engine from short block to long?
I did the assembly from shortblock to long (2nd time around for me doing this on this car, but I know it does'nt makes me an expert), and I did install a new barbell plug and front galley plug, I was also aware and careful when installing the new o-ring, installed and re-installed to check fitment and to see if there's any sign of being pinched during assembly. The last time I assembled my engine it also took awhile to build some pressure, but nothing near like this, fyi... I used 10w30 engine oil the last time, but this time I have 30w brad penn break-in motor oil, I wonder if 30w is too thick to be primed with this cranking method?

Originally Posted by Red02
I have had problems with that before. The last time I removed the oil galley plug near the oil pump and attached a rubber hose and funnel. I filled the funnel and galley with oil and then manually rotated the engine backwards a few turns. This causes the pump to pump backwards and fill the pickup tube. After that it pumped oil right away. You can leave the funnel there and turn over the motor. Oil should immediately fill the funnel, if it does remove the funnel and put the plug back in.
Somebody suggested something similar to that method to me today.

Originally Posted by jdpepper
I had a similar issue, new engine. I brought it up to my engine builder and he let me use his engine prelubricator. After using, it now has oil pressue a little after it starts cranking.

Good Luck
That would be handy. I wish I knew somebody that has that.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 AM
8 Second Club

Another trick Kurt Urban posted once was to over fill the oil by a couple of quarts to raise the level closer to pump.
I usually dissasemble the oil pump to look things over and polish as needed. When I assemble I get a little happy with the assembly lube. This helps the pump pull a vacumn.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, those makes sense. I might try the overfill first and if that does'nt work I will try packing the oil pump with greese. Thx!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 AM
9 Second Club

I had the same issue with mine. Turned it over numerous times for about 10 seconds each, no oil pressure. Finally, we pulled the plugs and turned it over that what. Built pressure in no time.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I built a priming system out of a old bbc pump, metal bucket and sum 8an push lock, i welded the pump inside the bucket poked two holes in the lid one to add oil the other for a priming tool take 8mins to get oil through all the push rods,,,, you need a good heavy drill or a gear reduction drill, it will burn up a normal drill very fast, (experience)
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Finally, we pulled the plugs and turned it over that what. Built pressure in no time.
I was assuming you were doing this with the plugs out. The main reason for that is it has less load on the bearings
Old 11-16-2012, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jdpepper

Good Luck
I had same problem and used the primer in the link. I attached it down where the oil cooler lines used to be. I have a mechanical gauge attached up where the top oil sending unit goes. I got oil pressuere on the gauge pretty quickly with that primer then when I cranked it with the starter it was fine.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Make sure all your pushrods are on the lifters. I had a lifter pop out causing no oil pressure.

Quick Reply: Oil Priming Problem