Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Decided how to blow my money. Forged 347 w/ AFR heads, D1SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLS1Lover
AFR is an awesome choice in head, I think you can only get the 230cc (V.2) now though. Really even the 225s would be overkill, something in the 215cc would be just fine.
Right, I see AFR's site only has the 230, but other retailers still have the 225's available. Would there be any actual low end loss (in the 225s vs 215s) under boost? I want a usable powerband, and don't plan to rev to the moon, maybe 6700 TOPS. That's what I rev to now on a stock motor.

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
I get compliments on the cover more than anything else, best thing i ever did next to the turbo!

Westtexas did an awesome job. Not to take away from his work but its not that hard to do, need more of a steady hand and proper (painting) materials for it to come out nice. He cut the middle of the cover out and hot glued the mesh to the back. you could make a bird stencil pretty easily too.

AFR 225s are perfect by the way
It's a beautiful piece. I may try it myself, I've got a bunch of Dremel bits that need to get put to work. There's another guy that does them with a wire mesh. These things seriously make me thing heavier about getting a FMIC.. I just don't want a big open gap there. I don't care for fog lights that much, so that's not an issue.

Last edited by HoLLo; 12-01-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Solid build. I would definitely go with a FMIC and meth but you're on the right track.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I think you could also have the compression in the 9.8-10.2 range. The heads are really not needed but it will make the setup a little more efficient. What pulley are you planning on running?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

They make brackets for a FMIC so you don't have to cut anything. Ive also been thinking of going boost. But damn i love how my car is a monster on spray.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Right, I see AFR's site only has the 230, but other retailers still have the 225's available. Would there be any actual low end loss (in the 225s vs 215s) under boost? I want a usable powerband, and don't plan to rev to the moon, maybe 6700 TOPS. That's what I rev to now on a stock motor.
I don't forsee any low end loss with the 215s vs the 225/30s no. Unless you plan on going with 370+ cubes I would go with the 215s.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

E85 would be awesome, but I don't think it's going to be on the list either. Like I said, I want the car to be as daily driver friendly as possible, in the event it needs to be. I've been to towns where there was not a single E85 pump...

How would 10.5:1 affect it's longevity and reliability? Most things I read say is 9.5:1 to 10:1 is ideal.

They're supplied fuel pump is supposed to be an addon so it Y's in with the current pump, making a double. Would that not be sufficient enough? If not, they have an option to add a 2nd pump, and running two of those would work good.
From what I've learned..been told........compression is meaningless. Its the detonation thats the problem. So with cooler burning E85 you can start off with a higher compression engine and hit it with the same amount of boost as you would a lower compression engine.....and keep it from detonating. Adding an intercooler would just make things even better on top of the E85.

But the higher starting (N/A) compression engine....the faster the turbo will spool down low....which is what I want. I also have the 390ci (AES).....so its got plenty of cubes to keep a big 88mm or 91mm turbo spooling in the mid-upper rpm ranges.....but I wanted very little to zero lag down low. So with my 390ci I'll have 10.3:1 - 10.5:1 compression and using full time E85. I shouldn't have lag down low and I plan to go 18psi to make a little over 1,000 RWHP.

No meth, just a FMIC or the small side intercoolers that go under the front corners of the front bumper. A FMIC with water misters mounted to the front would be good too. That would drop charge temps a lot right before and during a hard run......

Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

When running higher compression you have a smaller tuning window, cold plugs, E85 (or equivaltent), and a good tuner are needed. I'd build something in the 10.5:1 range and run E85.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the input, keep it coming guys! The more feedback the better...

Like I said, I don't believe E85 is going to be an option right now. I'm in the military, and around my base, they have a lot of E85, but my hometown has VERY FEW, and I can't get stuck without fuel. I WILL, however, have an E85 compatible fuel system so I will have the option in the future, should I decide.

With the D1SC, I won't have to worry about how compression will affect spool. So, for 93 pump gas SCR, around a 10.0:1 should be safe with some cold plugs and proper tune?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the input, keep it coming guys! The more feedback the better...

Like I said, I don't believe E85 is going to be an option right now. I'm in the military, and around my base, they have a lot of E85, but my hometown has VERY FEW, and I can't get stuck without fuel. I WILL, however, have an E85 compatible fuel system so I will have the option in the future, should I decide.

With the D1SC, I won't have to worry about how compression will affect spool. So, for 93 pump gas SCR, around a 10.0:1 should be safe with some cold plugs and proper tune?

Since you're not planning on running E85, I would shoot for a 9.5/1 compression ratio. 10.0/1 could be used, but I'd go with methanol injection and you may find you have to pull a little more timing out of the tune if you're running a lot of boost. If you're going to run a lot of boost or your future plans might go for a bigger blower and more boost, I'd go with the 225 or 230 heads over the 215's. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Since you're not planning on running E85, I would shoot for a 9.5/1 compression ratio. 10.0/1 could be used, but I'd go with methanol injection and you may find you have to pull a little more timing out of the tune if you're running a lot of boost. If you're going to run a lot of boost or your future plans might go for a bigger blower and more boost, I'd go with the 225 or 230 heads over the 215's. Bob
Thanks again Bob. I spoke with you on the phone last week, thanks for steering me in the right direction. I will be giving you a call when it's time to place the order!

Sounds like a stock gasket thickness, 72cc head, and -3.2cc pistons will put me where I want to be. It's going to be tough deciding 215s or 225/230 heads.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks again Bob. I spoke with you on the phone last week, thanks for steering me in the right direction. I will be giving you a call when it's time to place the order!

Sounds like a stock gasket thickness, 72cc head, and -3.2cc pistons will put me where I want to be. It's going to be tough deciding 215s or 225/230 heads.
Listen to Bob and do the AFR 230 over the AFR 215. There isn't a good reason not to.

Straight 93 do ~9.5:1 compression
93 + meth shoot for ~10.5:1 compression
E85 shoot for ~11.5:1 compression

In order to take full advantage of E85, you need the high compression.

Last edited by 5w20; 12-05-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thumbs up

You're welcome, I thought I had talked to you. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any updates on ur setup. I like your idea of keeping your car stock appearance and trying to make it stealthy. I've been looking for a setup for my car that will give me the best of both worlds. Street friendly and comfortable while being a beast when it wants to. Seems like you and I are thinking similarly. Another option to get high hp with stock appearance is going with the modular twin turbo kit.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing against the FMIC, but I just prefer not to cut open behind the license plate frame. I don't want to hack too much of my car up...

However, after I posted this, I remembered seeing a thread about someone custom making new license plate frames, that keep the front bird, and have a custom mesh behind it. It looks REALLY sharp, and I would like that, and it would make me more inclined to open up the bumper for a FMIC, but I would still hate cutting up the bumper. After seeing a picture of a car with that custom plate installed over a FMIC, I started to rethink my opinion on that. I will take some time thinking about that aspect.

Another question to add: I am running Pacesetter 1&3/4" longtubes into an x-pipe and dual SLP Loudmouth II mufflers... Will the longtubes be leaving any power on the table? Would I net any HP gain from stepping to 1&7/8" or even 2" headers?

I ran an FMIC on my LT1 trans am, and only removed the fog lamps...cut nothing on the bumper and my IAT's were only 10 degrees above ambient
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd go with the AFR 230's. You know down the road you'll want more power.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
any updates on ur setup. I like your idea of keeping your car stock appearance and trying to make it stealthy. I've been looking for a setup for my car that will give me the best of both worlds. Street friendly and comfortable while being a beast when it wants to. Seems like you and I are thinking similarly. Another option to get high hp with stock appearance is going with the modular twin turbo kit.

Still getting parts list together and planning things out. I won't start buying everything until Spring time. I definitely want it to look as stock "as possible". I like sleeper effect.

Originally Posted by My2kz28
I ran an FMIC on my LT1 trans am, and only removed the fog lamps...cut nothing on the bumper and my IAT's were only 10 degrees above ambient
That's not bad at all. LT1 T/As are even worse because there's nothing to go by, you just have to cut and hope it looks good.

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
I'd go with the AFR 230's. You know down the road you'll want more power.
That's for damn sure. I'll always want to crank it up. I'd hate to kick myself in the *** for not getting the better head to begin with. I gotta buy a new clutch now too. I should have gotten the higher up clutch to begin with.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be about a 9.5:1 SCR.
I like your build, Ive calculated your SCR a few times, and I come up with 9.23
Dynamic 6.79:1.
-Using the LS9 (4.1" bore gasket)
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Going with a procharger and 'stealth' don't go together. Trust me, there's no hiding a procharger.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Launching!

LOL kinda what I was thinking.

Nice build... keep us updated!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
I like your idea of keeping your car stock appearance and trying to make it stealthy. Street friendly and comfortable while being a beast when it wants to. Another option to get high hp with stock appearance is going with the modular twin turbo kit.
Stealth is cool.

Quick Reply: Decided how to blow my money. Forged 347 w/ AFR heads, D1SC