Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Homemade Turbo Build fuel problem :( (video up)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched your video. A very nice build. I love budget builds. One thing I noticed was when you rev your engine, I hear the engine and not the turbo. Now I am still pretty new to this myself so take my info with a grain of salt. Anyways, once I get mine to around 3k in rpms you hear the wizzing of my turbo's and not the engine.

Like this.....

I didn't hear this in yours. I also have my pumps set up so the first pump runs all the time and the second pump kicks on with a hobbs switch when I hit 4lbs of boost. Not sure if any of this helps but wanted to comment just the same. Good luck and great job.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

probably because my down pipe is about a foot long right now..and you have twins.. regardless i dont see how this helps the fuel problem. sorry just see no logic in your last post.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is your fuel system ran? Do you have the pumps on all the time or is the second on a hobbs switch? How did you set your base pressure for the regulator? Did you adjust the ifr and offset tables for your boost ref regulator?

I will say that with my setup, I set the base pressure and at an idle the fuel pressure is lower than what the base pressure is. It's the base when it's at 0psi and then goes 1psi up for every pound of boost.

It sounds like you have a problem with the way the regulator is setup. Maybe in the tune as well if you didn't change the appropriate tables.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

i dont have my regulator on right now all i have is one walbro 255 and everything else is stock other than the injectors im not gonna put my second pump in for awhile.. and this is all it had before the turbo build so it should be just fine.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blown90camaro
i dont have my regulator on right now all i have is one walbro 255 and everything else is stock other than the injectors im not gonna put my second pump in for awhile.. and this is all it had before the turbo build so it should be just fine.
So then why add a turbo if you aren't going to need more fuel? You should need the second pump and you do need the regulator installed.

You should worry more about load situations then just revving it. You should log what it does while you are driving. I'm sure you'll have more problems then.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
So then why add a turbo if you aren't going to need more fuel? You should need the second pump and you do need the regulator installed.

You should worry more about load situations then just revving it. You should log what it does while you are driving. I'm sure you'll have more problems then.
i have 3 255's there isnt a problem running my single the way it is on 5lbs of boost. and yes i have driven it plenty of times and like i said before once it gets over 2500 and into boost fuel is perfect a/f ratio is dead on as well so thats not the problem and no i dont need a regulator for one walbro.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Like to see another person doing their own work.

Nice work man
Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Teching In

You should really upgrade maybe to a twin 255 or something bigger. Possibly use a Bosch044?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the kind words and yes i have 3 255s but only two are going in but as of now only on 5lbs one 255 is plenty i want to get all the bugs worked out and then move up to two 255s with my regulator and everything
Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blown90camaro
i have 3 255's there isnt a problem running my single the way it is on 5lbs of boost. and yes i have driven it plenty of times and like i said before once it gets over 2500 and into boost fuel is perfect a/f ratio is dead on as well so thats not the problem and no i dont need a regulator for one walbro.
The number of walbros you have isn't the reason you need a regulator. It's to have the correct fuel pressure for boost. Obviously you are looking for some other reasoning, not that your setup is insufficient. So good luck.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post the tune. Sounds like pe and boost enrichment are off. Is it 2 bar? Maf? What?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
The number of walbros you have isn't the reason you need a regulator. It's to have the correct fuel pressure for boost. Obviously you are looking for some other reasoning, not that your setup is insufficient. So good luck.
the fuel pressure is correct for boost your not understand whats going on i would agree if i had problems up top but im not its down low and theres nothing wrong with a single pump on this low amount of boost right now. i have aeromotive regulator i could put on it but im not going to yet. i know a guy that has had all of his stock just on one single walbro for two years on 8lbs.

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Post the tune. Sounds like pe and boost enrichment are off. Is it 2 bar? Maf? What?
ill try and get the tune from the tuner tuesday when they open its a 3 bar map, no maf, sd tune. i dont know too much about the tuning but i was thinking they maybe had the injector table wrong..
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this thread again, it sounds like either transient fueling, or the power enrichment is set to lean. When you try to hit the gas it just bogs?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Ya man when I just blip the throttle when it is idling it wants to die but if I very slowly give it alil gas it will slowly start to rev..

Quick Reply: Homemade Turbo Build fuel problem :( (video up)